PageMaps: Embellishment Sketch Contest & TSTR #123

Friday, July 20, 2012

Hey, y'all!  Happy Friday!  It's been another scorcher in our neck of the woods.  I'm trying to cope and failing miserably.  Our weather people are predicting 100+ degree temperatures through, at least, the rest of the month.  Sigh.  Ezekiel starts swim lessons on Monday.  He's a really good swimmer, but every time he has a lesson, his skills get more and more refined.  Plus, he loves the attention ;).  So, Adina and I will be taking advantage of the Tot Swim, that runs during his lessons, EVERY SINGLE TIME they're available.  It's just too HOT!  So, anyhow, my July Jenni Bowlin kit arrived this week, and I just couldn't resist diving right in.  LOVE these kits!
I started this layout by adhering a full-length strip of multicolored, scales, patterned paper just left of vertical center; anchoring it, down its long sides, with yellow-threaded, zig-zag, machine stitches; and trimming its bottom left edge with a few yellow-threaded, straight, machine stitches and its right side with stamped, in Basic Black ink, scallops.  I then anchored a couple of hand cut, black, star, patterned, paper pennants, near the top and bottom of the layout, as well as a hand cut, neutral, graphic, patterned, paper pennant, with yellow-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  I used the hospital bracelet, that the nurse gave to my son, when Adina was born, as my "Big Brother" title, and layered a kraft, tag sale tag over its top edge.
Another tag sale tag rounds out the pennant duo near the top of the page, too.
I then used the fantastic, hexagon template that comes in this month's kit (Woohoo!) to stencil a couple of hexagon circles, hand cut them out, and adhered them in their respective locations.  The top hexagon circle anchors the right side of my trio of photographs, which were matted with Whisper White cardstock.
The bottom photograph, too, was matted with Whisper White cardstock; and it's top left corner points to that second, hexagon circle.  I then flanked it's right side with a kraft tag, which had its string tied in a bow and was used to journal, You were so good at keeping yourself busy in the hospital, while everyone else oooed and aaahed over Adina.
A black, "turn the page..." label rounds outs the bottom corner of the design.
I then stamped the "REMEMBER THIS" subtitle, in Pool Party ink, on Whisper White cardstock; hand cut it out; ink distressed its edges with Tea Dye and Antique Linen inks; and adhered it, with foam tape, in the center of the yellow, cardstock, label sticker, which, in turn, was adhered, over the bottom edge of that second, hexagon circle, with foam tape.  A trio of color-coordinating buttons, laced with hemp twine, complete the look.
Inspiration for this layout came from PageMaps' Embellishment Sketch Contest...
and believe it or not, The Shabby Tea Room's Week #123: Sew Crafty.  I know that my layout is not shabby in any way whatsoever, but that inspiration photograph made me long to pull out my pictures and get scrappy.  Plus, I followed the rules to create a project inspired by the colors in the photograph and to use buttons, ribbon/twine, and stitching.  So, I decided to link it up just for fun ;).
And before I run do that laundry and vacuuming again, I just have to ask you all.  Have any of you been watching Final Witness?  Oh, my gracious!  This show is beyond intriguing and so innovative, being as it's told from the perspective of the murder victim; but I'm telling you, I can no longer watch it!  I've even gone as far as asking my hubby to make sure that I don't.  It's ever so disturbing, maybe, in part, because it's based upon some of our nation's most shocking, real-life murders.  I mean, I've only seen two of the four, aired episodes; but those two kept me up half the night, y'all!  What in the world?!  We live in a crazy place!
I'll just stick with The Bachelorette.  LOL!  Anybody watching the finale on Sunday?  My bets are on Arie.
Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a SAFE and blessed weekend!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: "REMEMBER THIS" (Jenni Bowlin); All Scallops (SU) Paper: Whisper White (SU); neutral base (Cosmo Cricket); black star (My Mind's Eye); multicolored scales, neutral graphic, multicolored stripe, & aqua ledger (Studio Calico) Ink: Pool Party & Basic Black (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: yellow thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); tag sale tags & "turn the page..." label (Ormolu); hexagon template (Jenni Bowlin); kraft tag (Jillibean Soup); cardstock label sticker (Cosmo Cricket); aqua & black buttons (Hobby Lobby); yellow button (SU); hemp twine (May Arts)

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the fun patterns and colors in this LO Jinny. Nope haven't seen this new show, the previews were TOO creepy LOL!!!

dragonfly crafter said...

saw u on page maps. this is lovely. gorgeous colour scheme, love the hexagons and all the details x

Lynn said...

I'm not watching either show...normally catch the Bachelorette, but haven't watched it at all!

What wonderful memories you captured in your layout! So special.

Rebekah said...

gosh! I love visiting your blog. Such beautiful work. Your layout is outstanding. Great details and stitching everywhere.
Thanks for playing with us again this week at TSTR:)So glad to have you!

Kara Lynne said...

That scrapbook page has so many wonderful details! Love this design and your papers, buttons, and stitching. He looked tired, just like Mom and Dad, I bet! Haven't watched either, now I guess I'm glad, lol!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS!! I love love love the photo placement, the colors and loveeeeeeeeeeeee random buttons!!!!

Tracey Sabella said...

Amazing work with this kit and sketch!! Your stitching is so fabulous!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Jackie Rockwell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie Rockwell said...

Great layout Jinny! Love those hexagons tucked in there!!!

Anita Rex said...

What a fabulous LO! I love the colors and all the pictures! It's super hot here too! I guess it's better than rain everyday! :> I don't watch either show! I was scared to watch that Final Witness, glad I didn't!

Pauline said...

What a fab layout with such lovely papers for a little boy memory!
Sorry to hear your temps are still unbearable, our miserable weather has just broken and we finally have some sunshine! But much more agreeable temps of around 75, so warm but not sweltering. Hope it breaks for you soon!

Colleen Dietrich said...

It's been quite hot here, too, and then on Friday of last week it was...69 degrees! Weird. Good break from that 100 degree heat though.

Take care and keep cool!