SIT #83

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Note:  If you've come here looking for my PDCC140 - Simon Says Stamp post, please scroll down.

It's the beginning of a new month, and we're back in the swing of things with a brand new Challenge #83 at Sketches in Thyme.  It inspired me to play with circles and chevrons.
As soon as I saw Jennifer McGuire's Reverse Mask Technique Video, I knew that I had to give it a try, and this week just felt like the right time ;).  So, I started this layout by clear embossing the scalloped circles, on Whisper White cardstock, through Pink Paislee's vintage doily mask; inked them up with Barn Door and Wild Honey Distress Inks; spritzed over everything with Pearl Glimmer Mist; and hand cut them out, in varying sizes, once they were dry.  I then adhered the largest one near the top of the layout and slightly overlapping the punched, across its bottom edge, gray, polka dot patterned paper, which I machine stitched, across its top edge, with black-threaded, straight stitches, and used it to anchor the "Y R U always getting into something?" title, which was created from a variety of color-coordinating alphas and secured with more of those black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.
I then used a chipboard arrow to point to my photograph, which was framed with a piece of Whisper White cardstock and tucked under the last word in the title above.  A kraft tag, which was laced with white string, tied in a bow, trimmed the left side of the photograph. 
I then tucked the medium, embossed and inked, scalloped circle, whose center I dressed up with a black button, laced with hemp twine, as well as a teal-framed, journaling card under the photograph's bottom edge.  A "FILE THIS UNDER" label was stamped, in Jet Black ink, with the "I love you" sentiment and stuck in the bottom portion of the cardstock, photo frame.
The third and smallest, embossed and inked, scalloped circle had its center dressed up with another one of those black buttons, but this time it was laced with hemp twine, tied in a bow.  I then popped it up with foam tape, just for a little dimension.
Under its bottom left side I tucked a Dennison label, which I used to journal, Who knows who left out a marker or where, but leave it to you to find it and experiment.  5.30.10.  A trio of teal, word confetti stickers and a quartet of yellow gemstones complete the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from ScrapFIT's Warm-Up #29 to create a project that includes a complete sentence or a question.  And now it's your turn!  Here's your sketch to help get you started.
You have until the close of the month, on Tuesday, July 31, 2012, to link up your takes over in the right hand column of the Sketches in Thyme Blog.  And don't forget to stop by the challenge link above to see what the rest of the Team A Mavens have whipped up, just for your viewing pleasure.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be blessed!  Oh, and I nearly forgot!  We've got a fabulous Top 3 for June, that you absolutely don't want to miss!  Congrats, ladies!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Rainbow & Cloud Sentiments (Lil' Inker) Paper: Whisper White (SU); gray polka dot (Studio Calico); chevron (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Jet Black (StazOn); watermark (VersaMark); Barn Door & Wild Honey (Ranger) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); edger punch (EK Success); vintage doily mask (Pink Paislee); clear embossing powder (SU); Dennison label, "FILE THIS UNDER" sticker, kraft tag, & vintage black shadow alphas (Jenni Bowlin); gray alphabeans (Jillibean Soup); yellow letters (lilybee design); red Tiny Type stickers (Cosmo Cricket); teal foam Thickers & teal-framed journaling card (American Crafts); black buttons (Hobby Lobby); hemp twine (May Arts); chipboard arrow (Maya Road); word confetti stickers (Crate Paper); Pearl Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels); yellow gemstones (Doodlebug Design)

10 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is AWESOME Jinny! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee that masking, the colors, the stitching and loveeeeeeeeeee that photo and the story behind it! lol!!!

Tracey Sabella said...

What a darling LO!! Love the color and design!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!

Kara Lynne said...

Amazing page, I love it. The black buttons work so well for the subject and I love your reverse mask technique. Perfect event for a page too!

Annette said...

aww what a cutie...this page is awesome..love all the amazing detail..

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow...such a delightful layout! Love all the elements and the picture is so cute!

Missy Whidden said...

This is awesome! I love the long title, and those misted scalloped circles are my favorite! I love how the colors blend into one another. Thanks for working out with us at ScrapFIT :)

Pauline said...

Simply gorgeous page of your little girl, what a cutie pie! I love that chevron background, so striking, and the fab journalling too!

Ruby said...

Gorgeous page, love the arrows! Wish I could spend some time with you creating, it would be so much fun!

glorygirl said...

What a great page! So much fun and it fits the mood of the photo perfectly! Great job!