Weekend Snapshots

Monday, July 9, 2012

I promised y'all, in yesterday's 4th of July Rewind post, that I'd be back, today, to share pictures of our weekend; and I'm here, now and before I get too wrapped up in all the business that comes with Mondays, to deliver.  BJ and I had our 11th anniversary on Friday.  So, we made sure the gardens were extra watered, got our neighbors to look after our pup, packed up the car, and made the trek to my parent's house for a kid-free dinner on the town.  They live in the small town, compared to Kansas City, that I grew up in, so it was a bit of a trick to find just the right dinner spot.  I had my sights set on a favorite pizza spot from my college days, but when we pulled up in front of it, there was a big "FOR SALE" sign in the window.  Sigh.  So, we settled on Mexican food.  Then, we hit the park, where it all really began for us.
We used to spend hours and hours and hours, while we were dating, munching on Tropical Sno snow-cones and talking on this bench swing.  Matter of fact, I even carried a can of WD40, under the front seat of my car, just in case it got extra squeaky.
Then, we went to Bath and Body Works to pick up one yummy lotion, before heading back to my parents' place to rest and get ready for a day of birthday fun, which started with a delicious, pancake breakfast, made by my Mom, and the rescuing of my son's chosen Bakerella's Red Velvet Cake.
On the trip to Mom and Dad's, the air conditioning went out in our car.  It's working better now.  We still need to get it into the shop, but we think it just froze up, in the heat, if that makes any sense (?).  Anyway, I had his cake in my lap, so that it could get all the cool air it needed to stay beautiful.  But with the failing of said such, it melted like nothing else.  I did my best to bring it back up to par, but there was no way around all those cake bits and pieces that I always work so hard to keep out of my frosting.  Oh, well!  It's just another story for my scrapbooks ;).  LOL!
As a surprise to us all, my big sister and her family and my little brother and his fiance joined us for the opening of gifts.
Then, we all hit Jones Aquatic Center for an afternoon of fun in the sun.
We were ever so hungry for a pizza dinner, with homemade bread sticks and ice cream, a big salad, and that red velvet birthday cake from before, after all that swimming, diving, slipping, sliding, and floating, to end the day.  Happy 9th birthday, Ezekiel!  I love you with my whole heart and treasure every birthday I get to spend with and spoil YOU!
I cannot tell you how ready we were for a relaxing Sunday, at home, after all that busyness, which is exactly how we closed out our weekend.  Thanks so much for checking in on us!  Have a blessed week!

7 comments:

Tracey Sabella said...

What great summer celebrations photos and what a save on that cake!! ~ blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Lynn said...

Looks like the perfect birthday/anniversary celebration weekend...and I'm so thankful the AC is working again. I'm ready for cooler weather to arrive! Much love to your family on such wonderful occasions! :)

Kara Lynne said...

Such fun celebrations! Whew, you deserve a break, but oh the memories!!

Patrice said...

Great shots - that red velvet cake looks yummy even if it got a little messy!

Tracy said...

Look at all those little sunburned cheeks. LOL You can tell it was a wonderful day for the kids. I think you did a pretty amazing cake rescue there Jinny. :-) Glad you had such a nice day. Hugs!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Looks like an awesome weekend! Bummer about the AC and the cake!!! Glad you were able to fix the cake!!

Lisa said...

The HAPPIEST of birthdays to your sweet Ezekiel Jinny, looks like a wonderful day! And I LOVE the WD40 story!!!