Family Update

Friday, August 10, 2012

Hey, y'all!  It's me again!  It's been awhile since I've shared what we've been doing as a family.  So, if you're interested, stick around; and if not, well, have a wonderful weekend, and I hope you'll join me for both an all-new Market Street Stamps August/September Release and the inaugural release for Paper Sweeties, beginning first thing next week.  With that said, I cannot tell you how much we've been enjoying a little cooler weather lately.  We even laid down, in the grass, which I'm so thankful we kept watering, in our backyard, yesterday and just watched the clouds pass by and the birds fluttering about happily.  It was a moment that even the knowledge of the fact that my daughter was collecting bunny scat, with plastic tweezers, not even two feet from me, could spoil ;).  Speaking of collections, please tell me that my kiddos aren't the only ones fascinated with cicadas.
You may remember that I mentioned Ezekiel got to spend a few days at Grandpa and Grandma's last week.  Well, he was lucky enough, amidst all the spoiling, to get to help Grandpa, along with his boy cousins, Grant and Hunter, begin building a tree house.  He's still talking about all the fun!
Photo courtesy of Mom.
But before he left, he finished up swim lessons.
And once he got back, we snuck in a few more trips to the pool, just to play...
and even a little time to take advantage of our wading pool in the backyard...
before starting school on Wednesday.
Oh!  And we tried our very first apple EVER from the tree in our front yard.  Yummy!
It's been steadily growing, since we planted it five summers ago, but these are its first fruits.
Since we're talking about growing things, I have to mention that the cucumbers have been out of control in our vegetable garden.  So much so, that we tried making Amish Garlic Dill Sweet Pickles for the first time.  They're still supposed to rest for another week, but I'll be sure to let you know how they taste ;).
And just for fun, here's a series of pictures of some of the other things we've been up to.  I think they speak for themselves.
Photo courtesy of bleacherreport.com.
Photo courtesy of www.zap2it.com.
Oh!  And I just had to throw in this last one.  It rained and stormed for all of about 30 minutes on Wednesday night.  Actually, we didn't get much rain to speak of, but the lighting and thunder and wind was fierce.  Since rain has been so scarce in my neck of the woods, the last two times it has done anything remotely in the vicinity, this has been the sight around my house.  My kiddos get so excited, they bring all their toys and books and whatnot into my bedroom and watch it for its duration.
Thanks so much for checking in on us!  We've got tickets to the Sporting KC game tomorrow night.  So, that's our big plans for the weekend.  May yours be blessed and full!  Hugs!

8 comments:

Annette said...

oh wow what a great week for you and your family...those bugs are no gouda...icky...funny how kids don't mind those little critters..hehe

Miriam Prantner said...

Looks like tons of fun! What great memories, and I'm so amazed at all that you're able to get done in a day! There's been so much crafty goodness over here on top of all the summer fun. Love it!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the update Jinny! Those big ol' bugs...blah! The fabulous Mr. Phelps and our sweet ladies gymanstics team..so proud of them all. And my fav is the 2 thumbs up on the apple pic! Have a great weekend ;)

Tracy said...

I don't remember Kara being to excited about cicadas as a child(she's not much of a bug girl), but i remember collecting them myself as a child. You guys have been super busy. Hope schools starting off on a good foot. Kara didn't have the patience to do the video classes. Now I can't get her off the puter. LOL Have a fabulous weekend my friend! Hugs!

Jill Norwood said...

Jinny - what a lovely post! Summer is the best! You have such a beautiful family! Love the photos in the pool - too cute! Thanks for your sweet post on my card on my blog. I tried to reply but blogger's reply function isn't working again.
:) Jill

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Great photos Jinny!! I am LOVING that tree house!! How FUN!!!!

Tammy said...

Great shots Jinny! Your daughter is such a darling! School doesn't start back here in Canada until after Labour Day weekend, but as a teacher, I'll be back the whole week before to get all prepared. Still have another couple of weeks to relax with the kids!!

Tracey Sabella said...

Great snapshots of your family, Jinny!! Your dd has some amazing collections and I'm quite intrigued by where she might store the collection she picked up with the tweezers - LO!!!