PP112 & PageMap Studio Calico Card Sketch Contest

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Good morning!  Before I get to the real reason for this post, thank you so much for the precious and uplifting comments you left on my Weekend Snapshots post yesterday.  I do feel like I'm finally catching up on my rest and feeling a little better.  It's just tough being a mom, and those of you who have been there and done that and can share that it all turns fine in the end... Well, that means more to me than words can say.  It's also great to know that I'm not the only one for those of you who are right in the thick of it, just like me.  Thank you for all your encouragement and love!  I know that I won't always do everything just right, when it comes to parenting, or really anything in general :), but I'm thankful that God's grace can cover all my mistakes.  Now, without further adieu, I've got a little crafty goodness to share.
I started this card by trimming the vertical center of the Crumb Cake, cardstock, card face with a strip of gray, polka dot, patterned paper, as well as a strip of blue, patterned paper and machine stitching, with black-threaded, zig-zag stitches, between each connection.
I then stamped the "It's your birthday.  I want to see you wiggle it." sentiment, in Jet Black ink, along the bottom left edge of the card face and wrapped a length of hemp twine, three times, around the card face, just to the left of the center stitching; tied it, in a bow, just below horizontal center; and embellished its center with a button, laced with a hemp twine bow.
Each fish was then stamped, in Baja Breeze ink, on white, cardstock die cuts and laid on the surface of the card face, just to stamp their hooks, in Basic Grey ink, before adhering them, in their respective locations, with foam tape.  The bottom fish was created in the same way as the three previous with the exception of being secured to a homemade, chipboard frame, which had its edges trimmed with pinking shears and ink distressed.  It was also covered in glitter.  A couple of hand cut, felt stars, decked out with a clear gemstone, as well as a black pearl, complete the look.
Inspiration for this card came from The Paper Players' Colour Challenge #112...
and PageMaps' Studio Calico Card Sketch Contest, which I rotated 90 degrees to the right.
I'm also thrilled to share that this layout was given the honor of one of The Shabby Tea Room's Tea Time Terrific Top Three...
and this card was featured, for 10 Ways to Use Buttons, at Weekly Scrapper and was named a Trigger Target in the Moxie Fab World.  Thank you so much to all the designers who made said such possible!  I'm truly honored!
And thanks so much, to you all, for stopping by!  Have a super, wonderful Wednesday!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Fish More (Wplus9) Paper: White (Wplus9); Crumb Cake (SU); blue (My Mind's Eye); gray polka dot (Pink Paislee) Ink: Baja Breeze & Basic Grey (SU); Jet Black, Tea Dye, & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); Fish More die (Wplus9); Dazzling Diamonds & button (SU); felt (Hobby Lobby); clear gemstone (Paper Studio); black pearl (Want 2 Scrap); hemp twine (May Arts); pinking shears (Fiskars)

12 comments:

Lynn said...

We can chat about your Friday and my Tuesday night with my oldest and French homework. Holy moly is all I can say. Teaching good study habits with him is a huge struggle, but as always we'll get through it.

And...I love your card! Those stamps are divine and you show them off girl!

Kara Lynne said...

Wonderful card, Jinny! I love that bit of black in the stitching and the star. It sort of outlines without being too heavy.

Shannon White said...

LOL OMGoodness Jinny! what a Fun Sentiment! 8-) Just cant help but chuckle! 8-) Super take on the sketch and Love the color combo too! Those fishing lures are too cute!! 8)

Hugs
Shannon

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

SOOOOOOOOO cute! I love those little fish and that sentiment! FUN card!! Congrats on your features!!!

Nance Leedy said...

LOL, what a fantastic sentiment! I love your fussy-cut fish and the zig zag stitching is fabulous! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love this!! LOVING the fish and ALWAYS love what you do with twine!!!!!!

LeAnne said...

LOL, this is adorable! Great use of the challenge colors with this fun layout and cute images! Thanks for sharing it with us this week at Paper Players!

Lisa said...

Glad to see you're feeling a bit better. God does see us through and never gives us more than we can handle. This is a great card, my fishermen would love it! Congrats on your recognitions!

Tracy said...

This is one of my favorites from you Jinny. Those lures are just fantastic for guy cards. Awesome job with the sketch! Hugs!

Dawn Easton said...

What a FUN card! So many wonderful and interesting details!!! Thanks for playing along with us at the Paper Players!

Sleepy Stamper said...

Jinny I just love all the little details you put into each of your projects! I'm a huge fan of your stitching and wonderful bows. Hope you are having a good week.
Hugs,
Anitra

Amy White said...

Wow love all the details you've included in your card - the stitching looks fab and the twine a button are the perfect finishing touch! Thanks for playing along with the Paper Players this week!