For the Love of Books

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

So, I kinda dropped the ball on my For the Love of Books post last month.  I took a week off for my brother's wedding and a family vacation and just didn't get around to posting again.  So, I'm making it up to you, this month, by bringing you two of my family's all-time favorite holiday books, both of which were written by Liz Curtis Higgs for ages three and up.
The Pumpkin Patch Parable is the story of the process a farmer takes to carefully plant, lovingly care for, and excitedly harvest his pumpkin crop.  He treasures their uniqueness and picks one simple but perfect pumpkin to turn into a simply glorious sight.  The special part of this book are the scriptures, which can be found on nearly every page.  They tell the story of God's patient, overwhelming, unconditional, and unwavering love for His people.  His love transforms them, causing His joy and light to shine from their hearts so others can see and know Him, too.
In The Pine Tree Parable, we read of that same farmer's Christmas tree crop and how he and his wife began planting and caring for the trees while they were just seedlings and their children were very small.  As they watch their children grow up, so do the little pine trees.  When they become large enough to sell, the farmer's wife picks one remarkable tree to keep, so she and her family can enjoy its beauty year after year.  But one special Christmas, that very tree becomes the farmer's wife's greatest gift.

Liz Curtis Higgs also offers a heartwarming summer tale of growth, known as The Sunflower Parable, as well as The Parable of the Lily, a precious Easter story about grace and forgiveness.  All four of these parables can be found on our bookshelves and have been read more times than I could possibly count.  I have no doubt that they would be the perfect additions to your own libraries as well.  Thanks so much for reading, and have a truly blessed Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

I really appreciate you sharing these. I wonder if our Church Library has them...I will be on the lookout Sunday! We are always on the lookout for wonderful books! :-)))

Jennifer said...

Thanks for this! I'm going to celebrate and count down the 12 days of Christmas with books for my Sophie this year. I'll wrap each book and number it and each night we will open and read one. I still need 3 books to make my 12 and the Pine Tree Parable sounds like it would be a good read!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhh these sound wonderful!!!!!