Family Update

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Good morning, y'all!  So I thought that I'd take today to share a little of the busyness I've been telling you our week entails.  Ezekiel began studying the state of Kansas, in history, this week.  He's learning so much, so fast; and before he became too much of a know-it-all ;), I thought that we'd better get him over to the Kansas State Capitol Building and Kansas Museum of History in Topeka.  So, that's exactly what we did yesterday.  My hubby took the day off work, and we got up and moving right away.  They usually do tours every hour, on the hour, five days a week; but we knew that if we were going to pull off both in one day, we'd better get an early start.  I took lots and lots of photos, but I'll just share some of my favorites.  They're doing a lot of construction in and around the building.
That's my big kiddo up there next to the column just right of center.
There were lots of gorgeous paintings, throughout the building, depicting Kansas history, but here are just a couple of my favorites.
This is the chamber of the House of Representatives...
and this the Senate.
Here is the former Supreme Court room...
and Governor Brownback's office.
And I couldn't resist throwing in this stunning view of the inside of the dome...
our state seal...
or a couple photos of the State Library.  You should've seen how excited Ezekiel got when he realized we got to go into the library and, then again, when he saw a working dumbwaiter in the stacks.  LOVE it!
And we had the best, grandfather, tour guide!
Then, after a little lunch, like I said above, we were on our way to the museum to learn even more about the growth of Kansas from long before it became a state to our present day.  I've been to both of these buildings years and years ago, but I cannot even begin to tell you how very little I remembered.  We all learned so much...
and still found time to play.
And just because it's been awhile since I shared what we've been up to, Adina's been keeping me on my toes with a new batch of Gloppy Goop...
as well as her own preschool studies.
We've also been enjoying lots of new recipes, including Orange Ricotta Pancakes with Orange Raspberry Syrup...
and Mexican White Bean Soup.  Mmmmm!
All that means lots of groceries, too ;).
And just to keep it real, one last photo that is such an accurate depiction of my life.  Yep!  That's dog food all over my kitchen floor.
Oh!  And I just had to share, with all you prayer warriors, that my dad is officially getting around with his back brace alone.  He's no longer using his walker.  Praise the Lord!  Well, that's all, for today, folks!  I'll be back bright and early tomorrow morning with this week's Sketches in Thyme sketch.  Until then, thanks for checking in on us, and have a wonderful Wednesday!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Great photos Jinny, love the inside of the dome and Adina holding the tour guides hand ~ so cute!
The dog food all over the floor gave me a good chuckle!! Have a great day ;)

Tracey Sabella said...

What a fabulous way to cement the learning!! I was a hand-on home educator, too! Love the dog food photo. Can you believe we leave our bag of dog food in the garage with the top of the bag rolled down, and our dog that stays in the garage never touches it??? Thanks for the update on your dad. So glad he is starting to get around. That makes such a difference. ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Miriam Prantner said...

Great photos! Love seeing what you guys are up to, and what wonderful news about your dad!

Jeanne J said...

Another perfect day Jinny! Great idea to take a field trip - and a wonderful experience for you all! Glad your dad is doing better! The dogfood photo... now that is one I can totally relate to! HA!

Lynn said...

Looks like the perfect day. And oh what wonderful news on your dad.

Sharon Fritchey said...

I am so happy to hear that you dad is doing better! Thanks! And I love this post so much - it looks like a wonderful day. I enjoyed seeing the photos of your recipes, too1

Tracy said...

Looks like an awesome outing Jinny. :-) We've visited the old capital building in Jackson several times and it is so jam packed with interesting state history. That's one place in each state that should not get overlooked for a visit. Great photos and I'm so glad to hear your dad is doing so much better. Hugs!