Family Update

Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Monday, y'all!  I'm so sorry that things have been quiet for awhile again.  Life has just kept me running, and unfortunately, I haven't had as much time to get creative.  I will have a couple of cards to share later this week, but until then, I thought that I'd show a little of what's been keeping us going.  Ezekiel had another homeschool program at the Kansas City Zoo.  It was rainy and cold, but a friend of mine, myself, and our little ones braved it and created a memorable morning anyway.
Ezekiel has been thoroughly enjoying basketball.  They haven't yet won a game.  They seem to have a lot of difficulty working together and want to make all the baskets for their individual selves, which makes them predictable and vulnerable to their opponents; but he's still having lots of fun, and that's what really matters.
On the way home from basketball last week, we drove by our old church building, which was bought by Vineyard.  Sigh.  It's just a building, but it holds so many memories for me.  We had a run of really bad experiences at our previous church, and the folks here, when it belonged to our church, welcomed us with open arms.
We've been super busy with school.  Our new unit on Kansas has totally absorbed all of my extra time.  Thus, we decided to take today's holiday off with everyone else.  It'll give me some time to get my bearings straight and write the next test.  Anyway, we got to attend a featured exhibition, called Heartland, at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.  It boasted gorgeous, Midwest photography from Kansas City native Terry Evans.  So, it fit into our studies perfectly and has to be one of my all-time favorite exhibits thus far.  Of course I couldn't take any photographs of the actual art, but below are pictures of some of the homeschool troop viewing a blade of Little Bluestem through a microscope and listening to the sounds of the prairie.
Oh!  And just for fun and totally unrelated to his study on Kansas, here's one of Ezekiel's latest projects.
I found this adorable, contact case at Target and just had to share it here, too ;).  Isn't it the cutest?!
We also tried a couple of new recipes last week, including Lemon-Poppy Seed Quick Bread (Absolutely AMAZING!)...
and Butternut Squash Soup.  This was the first recipe, of this type of soup, that I've done, where it didn't call for cream, and it's definitely a winner!  Both of these recipes came from the November 2012 issue of Woman's Day.
And finally, my sisters and Mom took time out of their busy schedules to shower me with gifts and take me to New Theater Restaurant to celebrate my birthday, which is tomorrow, last night.  We saw The Game's Afoot, which is a Sherlock Holmes mystery/comedy starring Happy Days' Marion Ross; and of course, the food was just as amazing as ever.  It was such a special night!
That's all for now, but thanks so much for checking in on me, and have a blessed work week!

17 comments:

Annette said...

I hear you.. this year has started busy... love your photos.. Have a wonderful day..

Charlene said...

Looks like your having a great time! I love hearing about yout little family!

Lisa said...

Sounds like you've been having some fun! Sweet pics of the kiddos as always. But I must say I love the one of your mom nestled in among her girls ;)

glorygirl said...

What fun, fun events! And, way to go, on deciding to take the day off! Finally, this year I've given myself the ok to do that sometimes, too, without the homeschool mama guilt of it ;) The theater event sounds awesome and that lemon poppyseed bread looks like a "must try"! Have a great week!!!

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, what gorgeous ladies =). Your kids are too cute too...it's always nice to take a day off. Hope you enjoyed it!

Lynn said...

Hey there my friend...happy happy birthday! Hope you have a fabulous day tomorrow! xoxo

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Looks like a great week!! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great photos and looks like a great night out. Hope you have a WONDERFUL birthday!

Tracy said...

YAY birthday time! :-) Hope tomorrow is blessed with lots and lots of happiness and love Jinny! Hugs!

Linda R said...

Happy Birthday my sweet friend. I enjoyed hearing about your busy week. Sounds like you are loving life..

Hugs~

Stamp said...

Happy Birthday my dear, sweet Jinny! I am so glad that these lovely ladies took you out for a GNO! We need to plan one for 2014 for us! Miss you! Hugs!

Ros Crawford said...

Happy Birthday Jinny!!! Love seeing your photos ... your children are just adorable ... Hope you enjoyed a wonderful time with your family ... hugs to you!

Monika/Buzsy said...

I love reading your family up-date. :)

Sharon Fritchey said...

So much fun! You have a wonderful family and friends!!!!! Very heartwarming!

Colleen Dietrich said...

I completely understand about life being too busy to create! It's been a bother for me in the last several months. Ugh.

I love that you kept us up to date with all these fabulous photos, though, and my fave is of you and your sisters and mom for your birthday. Happy Birthday, my friend!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

HAPPPPPPPIEST birthday wishes to you, Jinny! I can't believe I didn't see this on FB--- so sorry I'm late to the party! Hope you had a fabulous day! Celebrate BIG and eat some cake for me:) Psalm 118:24

ps...I'm totally getting that owl contact case! SO CUTE:) HUGS!

~Tammy~ said...

Oh Happy Birthday Jinny (or Belated) Love the picture of you with your Mom and sisters! How special!

Your recipes sound yummy! I may have to bookmark and try the bread! Sounds delightful!