SIT #101

Thursday, February 7, 2013

We're back with our first February sketch over at Sketches in Thyme!  Woohoo!  Tiffany does such a great job with these sketches!  I just love that they're simple enough to keep 'em that way or embellish 'til your heart's content.  Well, JBS Mercantile just released their February Papercrafting Kit, and I realized that I'd been so busy with everything else, that I hadn't yet done anything with my January kit.  So, I got right on that with this week's inspiration page.  Enjoy!
I started this page by anchoring a piece of aqua, floral, patterned paper, with white-threaded, zig-zag, machine stitches, in the top right corner of the kraft, chevron, base page.  I then topped it, vertically, with both a vintage voter's ballot and a strip of textured, white cardstock, which I used my Cameo to cut feathers out of.  A cut file comes with the JBS monthly kits, and this one just happened to be released last month.  One of the feathers was backed with a red, stripe, patterned paper, before the cardstock strip was anchored, down both its vertical sides, with white-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  The photos were matted with Whisper White cardstock and adhered in their respective locations, and the "SURPRISE visitor" title was created from red and teal, alpha stickers.
I then tucked a "notes", journaling card under the bottom edges of the photographs, near the left side of the layout and over the die cut, feather strip, and used it to journal, We were out and about all morning and came home to find this guy on our back porch.  We think he may have come through one of the screens that was loose.  But he sure had a hard time getting out.  We propped the door open all the way, but he couldn't figure out opened from closed.  He even knocked himself out for a little while.  At one point, BJ was going to pick him up, but those talons made him think twice.  Eventually, he found his way out, but he sure had Summer on alert.  June 2, 2012.
The journaling card was anchored with both an aqua, arrow, cardstock, sticker strip, as well as stamped, in Riding Hood Red ink, arrows.  I then decked out its left edge with kraft tag, which I ink distressed; stamped in White ink, with the alphabet stencil; and laced with white string, tied in a bow.  It was topped with an aqua, scalloped, cardstock sticker; chevron, wired feather; and an aqua, woodgrain button, laced with hemp twine.
To complete the look, the tag was grounded with both a "DON'T FORGET", cardstock sticker and a "this way", arrow tag.
Last, but certainly not least, here's this week's Challenge #101 sketch, which I flipped upside down, to get you started.
Don't forget that you have until the close of the month, on Thursday, February 28, 2013, to link up your takes, in the right hand column of the Sketches in Thyme Blog, to be in the running to be named one of our Top Three and guest design with us during the month of April.  Thanks so much for peeking in, and have a wonderful Thursday, y'all!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Alpha Stencil (JBS); Hit the Mark - arrow strip (MSS) Paper: Whisper White (SU); textured white (Bazzill); kraft chevron (Pebbles Inc.); aqua floral & red stripe (Crate Paper) Ink: Basic Black & Riding Hood Red (SU); White (Wplus9); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Feather2 cut, vintage voter's ballot, & wired feather (JBS); Cameo (Silhouette); red alphas (Pebbles Inc.); teal alphas (Sassafras); "notes" journaling card & "this way" arrow (Elle's Studio); aqua scalloped frame & arrow strip cardstock stickers (Cosmo Cricket); aqua woodgrain button (Bella Blvd.); "DON'T FORGET" cardstock sticker (My Mind's Eye); hemp twine (Creative Impressions); kraft tag (Maya Road); white string (Hobby Lobby)

13 comments:

Annette said...

awesome layout.. loving all those fun feathers...

Jeanne J said...

Beautiful layout - everything tied together perfectly. Glad you are using your cameo - those feather cutouts got my attention immediately - and that chevron feather - wow! Wonderful as always!

Charlene said...

So cute Jinny!!!!!! LOve your LO'S and the sweet pictures!

Lisa said...

Awww poor little fella knocked himself out :( You dog looks p[retty calm. My Max would be going into barking hysterics over this guy! He chases ALL birds out of our yard and barks at ALL of the big black crows that frequent the neighborhood. I know the bird bark for sure ;)

Very cute page to remember this epic event, LOVE the extra feathers. Have a splendid day ;)

blsd2scrp said...

this is such a great layout! love all your attention to detail and all the elements! I love your work!

Barb said...

wow! what a surprise to come home to! lol I hope this beauty will be ok...gorgeous creature deserving of such a fabulous layout! love the patterned feathers :)

Ashley Horton said...

Love this page Jinny!! The chevron background is awesome and I LOVE the use of the feathers!! I have got to figure out a way to incorporate those more into my pages!! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhh I loveeeeeeee this!! I love love love this! Love love love love the colors and loveeeeeeee all the feathers!!!!

Tracy said...

What a cool memory to preserve! I had a little sparrow hawk come down my chimney once and my mom has poor hummingbirds run into her kitchen windows and get their beaks stuck in the screens. LOL Guess animals can have just as many mobility issues as people huh. :-) Your use of feathers on this page is so clever and you sure made that sketch work wonderfully. Hugs!

Ros Crawford said...

Superb page and great journalling ... love the feathers!

Angi said...

Fabulous design! I really love the feathers!!!

Larissa Heskett said...

Beautiful layout!! Love all the fun details!! THANKS for sharing and have a fabulous weekend!! =)

Diana Fisher said...

I love the feathers on this page! And what a crazy story about the bird!