Three in One

Monday, March 25, 2013

Good afternoon, y'all!  I trust you had wonderful weekends!  Like I said yesterday, ours was filled with lots and lots and lots of snow; so everything, schedule-wise, was canceled, leaving us home to our own devices.  Mwahaha!  No, really.  It was super relaxing, and my hubby got the kiddos out to a Build-and-Grow Clinic at Lowe's, as well as the pet store, before it all began.  So, they didn't feel too cooped up; and I got a couple of hours of silence, which makes this mama one happy girl ;).

I do have a card to share, with you all, today.  It's for my father-in-law.  I almost sent my hubby out to buy one.  Shhh!  Do you hear jaws dropping?  LOL!  It wasn't because I didn't want to make one, though.  It's because I have the hardest time making guy cards, especially guys I don't know very well.  Fortunately, Dawn made it super easy for me with this darling set from Wplus9 Design.  Check it out!
I started this card by adhering a piece of woodgrain, patterned paper in the center of the Black, cardstock, card face.  I then pieced together three, patterned papers, boasting shades of blue, in the center right of the woodgrain piece and machine stitched, with black-threaded, straight stitches, around their combined edges and, with black-threaded, zig-zag stitches, between the blue papers, before stamping the "It's your birthday.  I want to see you wiggle it." sentiment, in Jet Black ink and vertically, along the left side of the woodgrain, patterned paper.
A length of hemp twine was then wrapped, vertically, around the card face, three times; tied, in a double bow, near the top of the card face; and embellished with a blue gemstone.
The center panel was die cut from White cardstock; stamped, in Pool Party, Brocade Blue, and Brilliant Blue inks, with the waves and, in Jet Black ink, with the fishing line.  A large, yellow, sunburst sequin was adhered in the top right corner of the panel and topped with a glittered, yellow button, laced with white string...
and the bottom left corner was decked out with a stamped, in Daffodil Delight ink, on a White, cardstock die cut, fish, which was adhered with foam tape.  A handful of stamped, in Jet Black ink, bubbles, which were given a little shine with Crystal Effects, preps the panel for the card face, to which it was then adhered with foam tape.
Inspiration for this card came from the Ombre Challenge in the Moxie Fab World, City Crafter Challenge Blog's Week #151: Woodgrain, and ColourQ's Challenge #181.
I'm off to finish Adina's Easter dress.  The buttonhole foot, on my machine, is giving me fits and causing all kinds of problems.  Otherwise, it would've been done yesterday.  But I also still need to make a little blouse to go under the dress, just until the warmer, summer weather arrives.  So, I've still got a lot to get done.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a fantastic week!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Fish More - fish, fishing line, & sentiment & Hooked on You - bubbles & waves (Wplus9) Paper: Black & White (Wplus9); blue polka dot & woodgrain (Paper Studio); blue stripe (C.R. Gibson); aqua text (SU) Ink: Daffodil Delight, Brilliant Blue, Brocade Blue, & Pool Party (SU); Jet Black (Ranger) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Clear Cut Stackers: Rounded Rectangles & Fish More dies (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); yellow button & blue gemstone (Paper Studio); white string (Hobby Lobby); Dazzling Diamonds & Crystal Effects (SU); yellow sequin (Jenni Bowlin); hemp twine (Creative Impressions)

18 comments:

Lisa said...

What a cute card Jinny! Lots of elements prefect for your Father-in-Law! We finally got a little snow. Enough to make snowballs for my snow-crazed pup!! Can't wait to see Adina's dress ;)

Arielle ~ SnappyStamper said...

This is absolutely perfect Jinny!!! I love all your little details! Thank you so much for playing with us at the colourQ!

Lynn said...

Well, this is an absolutely fabulous guy card! Love the little bits of twine, gems.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Gorgeous! Love this to bits!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my goodness Jinny your card is so much fun, super cute. Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at the colourQ!

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesomesauce!!! That is all.

Tracy said...

LOL I TOTALLY love that sentiment. Beth that brings a smile to his face. hee hee Don't sell yourself short girlie. You can make anything! Hugs!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

FABULOUS!!!! Loving the colors and love love love the little fishy!!!

Deanna Jean said...

Great card! I've looked at this set so many times. Love what you did with it. Thanks for joining us at the colourQ this week.

Charlene said...

WOWEEEEE Girl!!! MY FAVORITE!!! This looks awesome!!!Snow??? What's with that?? Dosen't the weatherman know it's spring? lol Thanks so much for sharing this week at CCCB :-)

Ashley Horton said...

Wow!! This is so cute Jinny...I would never know you have trouble with masculine cards! Love the fishing theme and the 3 different Blues you stitched together. And that sentiment is just too cute!!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh its a super card! I just love that woodgrain and the pretty colours ... that glittered button is a perfect sun! Thanks so much for playing at CCCB!

Annette said...

wow I can't believe that you are still getting so much snow.. I bet you are ready for some warm weather... well your card is amazing.. i love those fun stamps..great design..

Monika/Buzsy said...

Sweet card Jinny. Love the way you used the colors. Perfect for some underwater scene! :)

Sandy Ang said...

what a wonderful card and love the way you photographed it against the woodgrain

MichelleZ said...

This is solo cute! I love the nautical look. Great card!

Cath said...

Hey Jinny! Thanks for linking this up to the Ombre Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Stacey Schafer said...

so fantastic! love this guy card...congrats on the retrosketch shoutout:)