Fusion Hypothesis #2

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Before I get to the reason for this post, I wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected, directly and indirectly, by the explosions at the Boston Marathon.  I just don't understand the efforts of such random and senseless violence and deeply feel for those whose lives were lost and/or radically changed.  None of it makes any sense.  Fortunately, we have a God who is in the business of turning bad into good and can rely on his expertise and peace to guide us through it all.  With that said and in an attempt to not make light of anything surrounding the situation described above, today is my Dad's birthday.  Happy birthday, Dad!  Love you bunches and bunches!  We already sent him a great, little, Grandpa, children's book from my kiddos but wanted him to have a little something to open on his special day, too.  So, I thought I'd pop in here to share what he got.
I started his card by piecing together the gray polka dot and green, herringbone, patterned papers; stamping the prior, across its top edge, in Jet black ink, with the mini travel cups; framing the prepped piece with Lucky Limeade cardstock; and machine stitching, with white-threaded, zig-zag stitches, around its edges.
I then wrapped the center of the prepped piece, just above the stamped cups, with a length of Basic Grey, taffeta ribbon; tied it, in a bow, near the left edge of the prepped piece; embellished it with a green button, laced with white cord, tied in a bow; and adhered the entire thing, with foam tape, to the White, cardstock, card face.
A bit of cheesecloth was then tucked in behind the ribbon and topped with a white envelope, which had been stamped, in Lucky Limeade ink, with a larger travel cup, as well as, in Jet Black ink, with the "A GIFT FOR YOU from one JAVA JUNKIE to another" sentiment.  A Starbucks gift card, to stuff the pocket, completes the look.
Inspiration for this card came from Fusion's Hypothesis #2: Lesley's Challenge.  LOVE the concept of this new challenge!  So fun!
In case you missed it, please be sure to check out my previous, Wplus9 Apr./May Release: Day 1 post.  I'll be back, in just a bit, with Day 2.  Until then, thanks so much for stopping by, and have a wonderful evening!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Daily Grind (Market Street Stamps) Paper: White (Wplus9); Lucky Limeade (SU); gray polka dot (Authentique); green herringbone (My Mind's Eye); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Lucky Limeade (SU); Jet Black (Ranger) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Scalloped Border die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); cheesecloth (Dritz); Basic Gray taffeta ribbon (SU); white cord (craft supply store); button (Paper Studio); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives)

21 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

Great card! Loving the green and I really love the stitching and cheesecloth!

Lynn said...

Happy birthday to your dad! Gorgeous take on the Fusion inspiration! I love that grey ribbon...and I have some...you are nudging me to use it!
xoxo

Deanna Jean said...

Jinny, this is amazing. I love all the little details. I'm sure you Dad will love this! Thanks for joining us at Fusion this week.

Lisa said...

Another faulous card full of fun details! Happy birthday to your dad Jinny!!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

AMMMMMMMMAZING! I loooooooove this, Jinny! I love the papers and the green inked coffee cup! LOVE LOVE LOVE your bow and button! LOVE everything!

Sure do miss you-- hope all is going well!!! It's been busy here-- I wish time wouldn't fly! HUGS!

Ashley Horton said...

I agree Jinny! Such a sad day, and horrible events. But I do love your card...really great masculine look! And the glassine bag on the front, is such a fun idea!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Totally agree about Boston :)

Happy Birthday Dad!! I love love love love your card!! LOVING the green, the bag and loveeeeeeeeeee the mesh material!!!

StephInOK said...

I totally agree as well about Boston. It's so unnecessary! Those poor people!

Your card is very lovely, and I bet your Dad loves it! :)

~amy~ said...

♡♡Java♡♡
I love what you've done...such a delish way of combine colors, patterns and textures! Thanks for joining us for the Fusion fun!!!

Tracy said...

Such a cool Dad card. He'll be in caffeine heaven. :-) Hope he's continuing to heal from his fall. Hugs!

Lindsay said...

I couldn't agree with you more Jinny. Such a horrible atrocity. Happy birthday to your dad! This card/gift card holder is FABULOUS! Gah! I love it!

Annette said...

this is so fun.. i LOVE that sentiment..hehe..

Geri said...

Sweet, Jinny...love your pretty layers!

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous! Love that java junkie sentiment too!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! I like this card...just pinned it. The sketch is so interesting, I love the sentiment, the colors you used, well, EVERYTHING!

Jacquie Southas said...

Love your card - great interpretation of the Fusion photo!

Fi said...

This is lovely, looks like a fun challenge.

The Crafty Laydee said...

Stunning card-really nicely done :)
Nessa xx

Lyndal said...

FAB, FAB card Jinny - lime & black are a perfect masculine card combo!
So glad you joined in the fun at FUSION - hope to see you again soon :)

Ros Crawford said...

Terrific! absolutely terrific ...

Stacey Schafer said...

i adore this, Jinny! your layers and embellishments make me happy:) glad to see there are still a few of us "layering" crafters out there!