For the Love of Books

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Since the beginning of another school year is right around the corner, I've picked a book, to share with you all this month, that addresses the excitement and trepidation that might come with just such, especially if it may be your child's first year of school or maybe even if your child had a difficult 2012-2013 school year or is starting this year in a new school.  Written for children ages four and up, it has been near and dear to my heart since I taught my kindergartners years ago and was always one of my top picks, for story time, during our first week of school.
The Kissing Hand, written by Audrey Penn and illustrated by Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak, is the story of Chester Raccoon's first day of school and his desire to stay home with his mother.  His mother tells him of all the wonderful things he'll get to do and learn at school and shares a family secret that gives Chester the assurance that her love will travel with him wherever he goes, even to school.

The Kissing Hand is just the beginning of an entire series of books, by Audrey Penn, that addresses a number of childhood issues, including, but not limited to, accepting the birth of a new sibling, approaching a bully, and even learning to cope with the loss of a friend.  Audrey's hope is " that every parent would use the opportunity these books present to talk to their child and help them to find an approach that best fits their particular situation."

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to read!  I hope you find just what you're looking for in little Chester's adventures.  Be blessed!

9 comments:

Esther said...

I really like your book blogs! What a great idea and this is such a good book! We bought the one you talked about at Easter and I am so glad we did, it was perfect for telling the Easter story.

Maureen said...

love this one for the first week as well. I always start with First Day Jitters for the very first day...the ending always cracks me up and the young kids rarely see it coming! LOL

Angi Barrs said...

I love first day of school books. Must get this one for my nephew!

alexandra s.m. said...

Sounds like a wonderful read Jinny!
We were just at the library this afternoon, DD is a fan of the Judy moody books ;-)
Thank you~

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Jinny I love this book too! When I teach Kindergarten I do a whole first week of activities around this story and Chester. I have a raccoon puppet that I call Chester and he comes out during the reading of the story. The children love it! Makes starting school so fun!:)

Jennifer said...

Someone recommended this book to me since Miss Sophie and I are hardly ever apart and I was worried about how she react when we had to be apart. This book was fantastic and adorable. We love it at our house too!

Larissa Heskett said...

To FUN!! I actually got this book for Beckett!! He LOVED it too and I'm sure it will come in use again once Greyson gets ready to start school!! THANKS for sharing and I LOVE this new post!! ;) have a Fabulous Week!! ;)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Sounds like great fun, thanks for sharing

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I have a funny story to tell about this book ... (don't I always have a story?? LOL!!) ... anyhoo... a longgggggggg time ago (before I knew this book existed) my friend and I had a girls weekend in Laughlin, NV ... and one night we went to the other side of the Colorado River to get pics of the hotels against the water from the river ... anyhoo ... so all of a sudden a raccoon comes to my friends car ... and of course I want photos!! LOL!! So we had Cheetos in the car and we cracked the window and threw one to him so I could get a pic! My friend and I were laughing so hard ... and decided to name him "CHESTER" ... because of the Cheetos mascot is "CHESTER" ...and that's what we were feeding the raccoon!! LOL!! Then YEARS later I come across this book with CHESTER THE RACCOON!!! Tooooooo ironic! Of course, I had to get a copy and send it to my BFF!! :)