Weekend Snapshots

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Happy Tuesday, friends!  I just wanted to pop in here today to share a few pics of our weekend, but I promise to back tomorrow with the start of a few creative projects.  I know it's been awhile, but I thank you all for hanging in there with me.  I so appreciate and treasure each and every one of you.

So, we had the coolest weekend temperature-wise that I can ever remember it being, in Kansas, during the month of July, let alone the end of July and heading into our hottest month of August.  Crazy!  But I'll take it!  My hubby camped out, with our kiddos, in the backyard Friday night; but before they settled in, we had a yummy dinner.  I tried my hand at my first polenta, specifically a cheese and basil polenta, paired with talapia and a tomato and basil sauce, not to mention a fruit salad.  It turned out so tasty.  Ezekiel asked, "Is this our back porch, or is this an Italian restaurant?"  And the compliments didn't stop there.  He's so sweet!  Then, we couldn't resist lighting up the fire pit and toasting a few marshmallows for s'mores.
After baths, everyone cuddled into their sleeping bags and read, while Daddy got ready for bed.  Yes, my daughter is in footy pjs; and no, it was definitely not too warm for them.
Oh!  We even saw a raccoon in our neighbor's tree.  So, it really felt as though we were at the lake ;).  LOVE!  And isn't he (or she) the cutest?!
My hubby did lots of yard work and spent even more time with the kiddos on Saturday, which is a luxury for me.  So, I stole up to my creative space and played a bit.  Then, Sunday afternoon, I took my big kiddo to Barnes and Noble to spend a birthday gift card that's been burning a hole in his pocket.  And would you believe that he's already read four of the books he picked out?  At least, he likes to read them over and over.
He also had a coupon bonus from Build-a-Bear and decided to spend a little more of his birthday money to make a bear.  I guess you're never too old for a cuddly, new friend :).
Then, we picked up the rest of our family for a quick dinner in the park to close out our weekend right.  Gosh, I love these two to bits!
Finally, I just had to throw in a couple of pics of two of my most favorite blooms from my gardens.
We're not doing much today, other than enjoying another rainy day.  We so need the rain.  It could rain all week, and it wouldn't bother me in the least.  LOVE!  But, every evening this week, Ezekiel has a rare opportunity to take a class to try out lots of different instruments for homeschool band in the fall.  Yesterday, he played the trombone.  He said it was too heavy, and he didn't like the way his lips tickled, when he blew.  LOL!  Today, he's trying out the trumpet.  His Daddy played the trumpet, so he keeps telling Ezekiel that he's going to like it, but Ezekiel has pretty much already decided that he wants to play something with strings.  I guess we'll see in the end.  Then, tonight, he's got a pizza party to wrap up his season of baseball.  Summer activities are coming to a close in preparation for school to begin in a couple short weeks.  Sigh.  Thanks for checking in on us!  Have a blessed week!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the sweet update pics Jinny! The little raccoon is too CUTE for words!! It's been cool here too. So nice to have the AC off and the windows wide open!! Ezekiel is looking more like BJ everday!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful photos! Looks like all is well in the Newlin household! Thanks so much for sharing these!

Angi Barrs said...

Fun photos. We love to hang out at Barnes & Noble too. :)

Ashley Horton said...

Great pics from the weekend, Jinny!! Love that cute little raccoon!! We enjoy Tilapia too, with a light bread crumb crust!! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations, soon!! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awesome photos and I SPY CHESTER!!!!!!! You know I loveeeeeee raccoons! LOL!!! :)

Tracy said...

The kiddies down here start back next week. Can't believe summers over already. It's so wonderful that Ezekiel loves to read. That's one of the toughies with boys. I saw a Hardy Boys book in that stack. I read those when I was a kid. Nancy Drew of course too. Maybe that's why I love murder mysteries so much. LOL Glad you all had a great weekend. Hugs!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Looks like you had another amazing weekend- loooooooove the raccoon;) I can't wait to see your creations!!! Hugs!!!!

yyam said...

Family time is the best. Glad you are enjoying the summer. Love that your boy is a big reader...:)

Maria said...

Awwww...such sweet photos of your precious children! And, cute little raccoon! Gorgeous flowers, so pretty! My black eyed susans are blooming. I need to get out and take a photo of them. Take care, hugs!

alexandra s.m. said...

Thank You for this beautiful post Jinny!

Ros Crawford said...

Lovely photos ... I love reading these posts ... and your big daisies Marguerites we call them ... Mine have just bloomed too!