For the Love of Books

Friday, August 9, 2013

Happy Friday, friends!  I hope that you've all had a great week and are gearing up for an even more fabulous weekend.  This has been a tough week, emotionally, for me, as unresolved problems and frustrating relationships have gotten the best of me.  I wish life was easier and everybody could just get along.  Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about the said situations but pray.  So, pray I will continue to do.

In the meantime, I'd like to share this month's For the Love of Books pick a little earlier than usual, as I've got a heap of projects coming down the pike and don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.  It is written for children ages three to seven, but while I was teaching a fourth grade class, during my last year of college, we used this book to help spark excitement over our students telling stories of their summer vacation experiences.  I thought it would be a fitting highlight for August, being as most the kiddos around my neck of the woods, including us, are back to school on Monday.
How I Spent My Summer Vacation, written and illustrated by Mark Teague, is the story of young Wallace Bleff's capture by wild cowboys on the way to spend summer vacation with his Aunt Fern.  They decked him out in his own boots and hat and taught him to rope and ride.  Wallace catches on quickly as word spreads of his fantastic handling abilities.  When the roundup is through, Aunt Fern invites he and the cowboys over for a barbecue, where Wallace saves the day in one amazing demonstration of his true buckaroo skills.

One of my favorite parts of this book is the playful rhyme in which it is written, not to mention the stunning attention to detail, right down to the expressions on the animals' faces, in the illustrations.  It's a winner, folks!  Thanks so much for taking the time to read!  Now, get out there and enjoy your weekends!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

This looks like a cute book, I don't have little ones. But I'll pass the title along to my DIL for here 1st grade class. I can't believe school is starting already, this summer flew by. Be blessed my sweet friend and have a good day ;)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

I am sorry to hear about you are going through some tough time in life, hang in there my friend, I will be thinking and praying for you!
Thanks for sharing the summer read too!

Jennifer said...

Wishing you nothing but good thoughts and less stress. Sounds like a fun book...big hugs!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sorry you had a rough week! This sounds like a great book!! We just Brookie "Curious George's First Day of School" to celebrate her 1st day of the 1st grade!!!!

Maria said...

Sorry to hear about some unresolved issues I'm sure that would be frustrating. I'll keep you in thought and prayer. Looks like a cute book. Take care, hugs!

Linda R said...

So sorry to hear about your rough week. I will also keep you in my prayers. I love to buy books for my grandson. This one might just be a little bit about his level. But it sure does sound cute.

Hugs~

Tracey Sabella said...

Looks like a fun book. Sorry about your relationship difficulties. Praying for you this morning. ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

So sorry to hear that you've had a rough week-- I'm also having unresolved problems/relationships/etc. I will pray for you <3

Looks like a super cute book- this might be a good Christmas gift for my little niece:)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

ps... I say Christmas because that's when I usually send up packages:) LOL! I know the book is about Summer!