For the Love of Books

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Good afternoon, y'all!  I promised you yesterday that I'd be back with this month's For the Love of Books pick today, and I'm here now to deliver.  The book I want to share, with you all, this month has been around now for about four years but was simply a happy discovery we happened upon on one of our many trips to the local library.  It is written for children ages three to six and is sure to tug at your heart strings.  It may even leave you moms and dads with the same happy tears it did me.
One True Bear, written and illustrated by Ted Dewan, is the story of one brave, young, Bear Force solider, named Darcy Brewster, who courageously volunteers to become a troubled boy's One True Bear.  Darcy endures nearly getting her arms pulled off, having her stuffing spilled out, and being left out in the cold, damp night.  She does not cry.  Instead, she gently reminds the boy that she needs her arms to hold him at night and keep away the bad dreams, her stuffing to love him with all her heart, and her fur to comfort him when he is scared of the dark.  Each time, he comes to her rescue, mends her and dries her, and she lives to see another day.  As time goes by, Darcy realizes that she has accomplished her mission.  Then, one day, she falls behind the boy's bed and waits there for many years, until the young boy, now all grown up, needs her to go into a dark, stormy night with him to rescue and comfort a little girl from a flood.

I hope that, if you've never read Darcy's story before, you'll pick this book up to share with your children or grandchildren today.  And if you have, then you already know what a true treasure it really is.  Thanks so much for reading!  Blessings on you!

6 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This sounds wonderful!! I wish you were on Facebook ... I posted a pic tonight on there about Brookie's 8 new books she got from the Scholastic Book Fair :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds so sweet...

Tracey Sabella said...

Sounds like a lovely book!! Thanks for sharing! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Miriam Prantner said...

I have never seen this book before, but I think I definitely need to go seek it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

Doreen Vasquez said...

Well, just your description of the book made me a little sad... I don't think I want to read the actual book cuz I probably will cry!
Question: Is this "For the Love of Books" segment you do just something you do for yourself to share w/ others or is it a part of something else?

Linda R said...

This sounds like such a good book. I am going to have to get it for my Grandson.. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hugs~