Mahaffie Farmstead

Monday, September 16, 2013

Happy Monday, y'all!  I trust you've all had wonderful weekends.  We spent most of ours getting things caught up around the house and doing some more organizing.  I'm in the mode, folks!  It went by so much faster than we would've liked, though; as we also volunteered at church and did our grocery shopping, and I even got a little time to dive into my DT responsibilities.  Speaking of, I'll be back late tonight with the start of five days of peeks from The Craft's Meow; but before that, I wanted to quick pop in here to share a few pics from our latest trip to the Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm.

You might remember our spring trip from back here.  Well, my kiddos wanted to see the corn they planted all grown and ripe for picking.  Plus, they wouldn't let us go in the actual house during our last visit, so we made sure that would be feasible this go around.  Unfortunately, they did away with the organization of groups, going from activity to activity, over the last six months, which meant we were free to move about the farm as we pleased, but it was super busy and complete chaos from our perspective.  There wasn't near the information relayed, simply because no one ever knew when someone would join or move out of the group.  Plus, the staff wasn't super friendly last time, and we felt even less friendliness this time.  You'd think if it was someone's job to engage kids all day, they'd actually relate to them a little more.

All that said, we still made the most of our trip, just being out and about on a beautiful, fall day, learning about life, along the Santa Fe Trail, in the 1860's.
My kiddos' favorite thing was getting to write with a pen and ink.  Ezekiel wrote a letter to a friend, and Adina practiced her vowels.  I think we were at this stop for a good 30 minutes, and they could've stayed much longer.
They also loved to ride the stagecoach.  Although, it was disappointing they wouldn't let parents ride this time.  How fair is that?!
Oh!  And here's the corn the kids planted way back in the spring.  If you ask me, it didn't get watered much this summer and couldn't have been very fruitful.  So sad.  All in all, it wasn't a terrible day.  We've gotten pretty good at making the best of not so nice situations, but we won't be making a return visit anytime soon, either.
Before I run switch over the laundry and get the beds made, I also wanted to send my thoughts and prayers out to all the families who've lost loved ones and/or are suffering in the Colorado floods.  Much of the devastation is in the exact area where my hubby and I used to live and work and play.  The pictures are all so sad.  Stay safe, and be blessed, friends!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Such a shame that the trip wasn't all it SHOULD have been cracked up to be. But the smiles on the kids faces say they had a GOOD time!

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing, and hoping you are feeling well these days!

natasha said...

Hi! We went to Mahaffie but in the afternoon and had a much different experience. I had heard they had over 150 kids in the morning session and only about 50 in the afternoon. Sorry you didn't have the best time!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow - look at these awesome photos!!!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh that looks like my kinda weekend! I loveeeeeee the photos!!!!

Tracy said...

Awww man. I'm sorry your trip turned into such a dud. I wouldn't have minded giving that pen and ink a try myself. hee hee Can't wait to see your upcoming projects. Hugs!

Chris Vick said...

Checking out your blog since you've checked up on us. Great cards & inspiration! We appreciate your prayers, keep them coming!
Chris
Loveland, Colorado

Jennifer said...

Awe, looks like you all had a good time despite all the chaos and stuff. Love the pen and ink station...would have sat there for awhile myself!

Ros Crawford said...

What a shame that things weren't as good as they could be but I loved seeing your photos all the same ...

Larissa Heskett said...

Love these pictures!! Have you ever visited Pioneer Village here in Nebraska?? It's a neat place and they have many of the old things the pioneers did!! Have a Fabulous Week and thanks for sharing!! ;)