For the Love of Books

Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's just me, popping in, as promised, with my pick for this month's For the Love of Books post.  Many of you may have already heard of this book, but in honor of our expecting a baby boy, in just a few, short months, I couldn't resist sharing it here.  I don't think I've ever made it through one reading without crying, but it's still one of my all-time faves.  It is a book every parent should own and is written for book lovers of all ages.
Love You Forever, written by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Sheila McGraw, tells the story of a baby boy growing into an ornery toddler, strong-willed adolescent, strange teenager, and finally, an independent adult.  Through it all, when his mother finds him sleeping, even as she peeks through his window, with the help of a ladder, after he moves into a home of his own, she picks him up and rocks him, singing, I'll love you forever.  I'll like you for always.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.  There comes a day, however, when the mother becomes too old and sick to sing to him anymore.  The roles are then reversed, and the final page promises this affectionate display of love will continue for generations to come, as the son does the same with his new, baby daughter.

If you treasure Love You Forever as much as I do, or if you're off to the library to check it out for yourself, I'd love to know what you think.  Thanks so much for reading!  Be blessed!

8 comments:

Doreen Vasquez said...

I LOVE this book!!!!!
ALways have.
SO sweet and always brings a tear to my eye!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeee this!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I know this book Jinny and it does bring the tears on easily! My daughter-in-law gave it to me not long after she and our son married. She's and avid reader and knew what it would mean to me!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

TFS!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awww.... sounds like a sweet story, I even got teary reading your post! Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

LOVE this book! Robert Munsch is a Canadian author who actually lives in the city right next to mine, so I (and now my kids) have grown up on all of his books!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your sharing, Jinny. Will have to check this book. Thank you. :)

Larissa Heskett said...

Love this book!! My MIL got it for Beckett and wrote in it for him!! I LOVE that you shared this because I need to pull out our copy and read it to Beckett and Greyson!! Thanks for sharing and have a Fabulous Week! ! ;)