Holiday Snapshots

Monday, December 30, 2013

Happy Monday, friends!  I just wanted to pop in here real quick to share just a few pics of our holiday season.  My parents and siblings couldn't fit us in around my hubby's work schedule.  So, we were celebrating on our own again, but it still was extra special.  My kiddos weren't interested in attending our church's Christmas Eve service.  It's not really geared towards them, and I wasn't up for balancing it all on my own.  So, we spent it working on a few Christmas projects...
and baking cookies.
And of course, my kiddos still received their new, Christmas Eve pajamas.  It's tradition ;).
Then, Christmas morning, I tried The Idea Room's Candy Cane Pancakes Recipe for breakfast.  They were super yummy and an extra special treat, but I was disappointed with how thin and flimsy they were.  The special ingredients can easily be added to my own basic pancake recipe, though.  So, next time, I'll do just that.
After our fill and before we could continue our celebrations, we had a little something that needed to be addressed.  Our sweet, little Katie passed away late Christmas Eve.
She had been sick for awhile, and we knew it was inevitable, but never did we imagine that we'd be burying her on Christmas day.  She was barely holding on, as I put Adina to bed that night.  So, I wrapped her up and took her into Adina's room for her to say goodbye.  We kissed Katie and held her and cried and prayed over her and thanked the Lord for all the joy she brought into our lives.  A couple of hours later, after some extra cuddling and once I finally got Adina off to sleep, Katie died.  So, a Christmas morning burial was in order...
but then we perked things up by turning on the Christmas music and decorating our Christmas cookies from the day before.
In the midst of that, my hubby arrived home from South Dakota.  My kiddos didn't know what to say, but you should've heard their squealing and seen their excitement :).  You may remember my saying that his new boss said if he wanted to get paid, he'd have to work through the holidays.  Well, with a move in our future and a new baby on the way, he really needed to get paid.  So, he went in super early Christmas morning, as no one else was working anyway, to get his hours in and wrap up a bunch of things before coming home.  He was then able to work the remainder of the week from his computer right here at home.  After eight weeks of not being together, I cannot even begin to tell you how much we needed that time as a family.  It was such a blessing!
You can imagine, after thinking they'd have to wait to open gifts, with Daddy, on Friday night, that my kiddos were anxious to get things rolling.  So, we jumped right in.  One thing, I just love about our Christmases is that we always take the time to open and try things out as we go.  It's so relaxing and makes the gift-giving extra special.
And their last gift was something I've wanted to do forever.  Ezekiel outgrew his bike long ago and has just been using his scooter, and Adina, too, was beginning to outgrow Ezekiel's hand-me-down.  So, it was past time for them both to have a bike of their own, and they couldn't have been any more excited.  LOVE it!
We were so enjoying our time together that I didn't even take a picture of our pot roast dinner or the yummy Snickerdoodle Cheesecake I made for Jesus' Birthday.
We spent the rest of our long weekend out and about, letting our kiddos spend their Christmas gift cards, stocking up on the last of the basic necessities we needed to welcome our anticipated little one, and cuddling in front of the television, watching Christmas movies and munching on goodies.  We even made it to church together on Sunday morning.  It was our last Christmas as just the four of us and one we'll always treasure.
Thanks so much for checking in on us!  Have a blessed week!

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Love all the pictures Jinny...what a blessing to have BJ home on Christmas. xoxo

Miriam Prantner said...

SO glad that BJ was able to get home for Christmas, what a wonderful gift, sounds like just the perfect time together!

Linda R said...

I am so happy for you and your little ones that your hubby made it home for Christmas. I enjoyed seeing all your photos. I Wish you and your family all the best in the New Year..

Hugs~

Lisa said...

Oh goodness I thought I heard squeals of delight coming from the west!!! I had NO idea it was your kiddos being surprised by their daddy!!! What a blessing for all of your Jinny. Sounds like a very Merry Christmas. Well except for sweet little Katie,may she rest in peace. The happiest of New Year wishes to the Newlins!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Lots of happenings!! So sorry for the loss of your sweet pet, but how exciting that your hubby made it home! Such a sweet photo of the kids giving him hugs! Glad to hear your family had a Merry Christmas, Jinny!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving the photos!! YAY for Daddy coming home for Christmas and for new bikes!!!!

Jeanne J said...

I love when you post family photos - you make me nostalgic for when my kids were young - love that you did art projects and decorated cookies together - and so sorry about Adina's little buddy Katie. Glad you are doing well and looking forward to big things in 2014! Hugs to you Jinny!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wonderful post Jinny!
I'm so happy you all had a good Christmas!
Happy New Year to you and your Family!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh what lovely photos ... I'm so sorry about your little Katie ... she was so loved that's for sure ... But a wonderful treat to have your DH home ... Have a wonderful New year ... wishing you every happiness that 2014 can bring

Maria said...

Awww...you family photos are so precious! So happy that your husband was able to make it home to celebrate! The kids look so happy on those new bikes!:-) And, sorry to hear about Katie's passing. You take good care and many blessings to you and family in the New Year, hugs!

Tracy said...

My goodness! It sounds like BJ works for Ebenezer Scrooge. :-) So glad he could make it home for Christmas. Sorry about your fur baby. That was kind of rough on Christmas. Wishing all of you the best for the upcoming new year!

Larissa Heskett said...

YEP!! LOVING your SWEET Pics and SO HAPPY you got to spend this Holiday together!! They will remember it ALWAYS!! Have a Fabulous Week!! ;) p.s I so want Cheesecake now!! LOL!! ;) YUMMY!!

Sura said...

Love the photos! Happy New Year!
Surama