On the Go Reading Pillow

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Morning, y'all!  I hope you all had a safe and happy New Year!  I thought I'd take a couple of days to share some of the Christmas gifts that kept me up into the wee hours of the mornings before the big day.  I made On the Go Reading Pillows for my nephews.  I simplified the linked tutorial a bit to incorporate only two different patterns rather than the three the Polka Dot Chair site suggests.  I also left off the "READ" lettering, just because I figured they would get picked off long before the covers themselves wore out anyway.
They're 18"x18" pillows with a pocket, on the front, for carrying books.
They also have a ribbon handle...
and are tied up in back to make it easy to slip out the pillows and wash the covers.
The above pillow was made for my eight-month-old nephew.  This one was for my seven-year-old nephew...
and this one was for my nephew who turned ten-years-old just two days after Christmas.  Each was also stuffed with an age-appropriate book before being given.
I also made some sweet, little gifts for my nieces.  So, I'll be back, tomorrow, to share those.  Until then, have a wonderful day!  Hugs!

11 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

These are so cute! Pinning!

Ros Crawford said...

These are amazing!! What a clever idea and you are a wonderful seamstress!

Larissa Heskett said...

Wow!! This something I really want to make for Beckett!! he is really getting into reading on his own and I know he WOULD really enjoy one of these!! I saw a similar idea on the blog of Danielle Flander's and have thought it would be a GREAT Gift idea!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!! ;)

Ashley Horton said...

These are awesome Jinny!! What a fun idea!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!!! I loveeeeeeee these!! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Gonna pin these!! Sooooooo here's the story .. I shared my Dec. Daily tonight ... in one of the photos from Christmas Day ... you MIGHT notice Brookie cuddling a "t-shirt" pillow with a Princess crown on it .. yeahhhhhhhh I made it and I was gonna do it as it's on post on my blog ... but UGH!! It was an EPIC fail ... thank goodness Brookie loves me (or because she's only 7! LOL!!) ... cuz she totally LOVED it!!!! It was stitched all wonky and ugh ... very frustrating to me! :( ... so I need to take a sewing class SO bad!! LOL!! :)

Lisa said...

Very cute Jinny and I'm sure they were a hit!!

Linda R said...

They turned out so cute. I bet they loved them.

Hugs~

Shirl Boughner said...

love your book pillows - what a neat idea. I'm very partial to the first one and the bright colours for a young child. For Christmas craft sales I stamped pre-made muslin bags in different sizes - the largest was 8 x 12 and a friend asked for 2 to be decorated for her 2 grandchildren - so I put their names on them and all kinds of stamped things to teach them words - dogs, cats, trees, birds etc. and she bought books to fit in them. I am definitely not a seamstress so had to resort to pre-made. This would be great for adults as well - for a reading chair or for car travel.
Maybe you ought to consider making some to sell.
I'd buy a few.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Happy New year Jinny. These are awesome! Wish I could sew.

Zeneva Kovic said...

Fantastic! Fabulous idea and a great gift.

Hilde Aaslund aka Scoobie said...

Wow, these are just too cute and a wonderful gift idea (even for a gift to myself *lol*)!