The Studio Year in Review Challenge

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Morning, y'all!  Just stopping by to share The Studio's first challenge of the new year.  We'd like to see a layout depicting a review of your 2013, whether it was something you achieved or are proud of doing or just a general round up of it.  I have to admit that 2013 was truly one of the most difficult years of my and BJ's married life.  So, that's what I tried to capture and write about for my take.  Enjoy!
I started this layout by smudging both Patina and Jack Frost Glimmer Mists onto the gray, leafy, base page.  I then die-cut a number of frames from color-coordinating, patterned papers and adhered them haphazardly, along with a vellum, "YOU & ME" Polaroid, to either side of my design.  That gave me the framework for my journaling, which simply rehashes a lot of the tough things we've had to face together this year and ends with, Through it all, you've been my anchor.  Yes, there have been times when you've rocked, even tipped, the boat, but only you have stayed by my side.  Only you have experienced, cried, and grown from it all with me.  And only you will still remember it all years from now, as we look back and, hopefully without hesitation, see the Lord's hand was in it all.  I love you!  December 2013.  I then used my machine to stitch a handful of vellum, wave die cuts, with navy-threaded, straight stitches, in amidst it all, before grounding the design with my "ONLY you" sentiment, which was made from brown alphas and a "you", cardstock sticker, which I glittered.
The die-cut frames near the left side of the page were then used to anchor my photograph which was matted with Whisper White cardstock.  A Cameo-cut, from a woodgrain, patterned paper, ship's wheel tops it; and a couple of stamped, in Chocolate Chip ink, rope circles ground it.
I then dressed up its left edge with a stamped, in Real Red ink, on a White, cardstock die cut, circle, which frames a mound of stamped, in Old Olive and Chocolate Chip inks, on an Oatmeal, cardstock die cut, cattails.  A white, arrow paperclip, laced with a bit of Baker's Twine, tied in a bow...
turns our attention to the right side of the page, where I tucked a "KEEP" flashcard, as well as a trio of buttons, laced with white string, in amidst the die-cut frames.
The anchor was Cameo-cut from Black cardstock.  I then looped a die-cut, from White and Riding Hood Red cardstocks, life preserver onto one side of it; weaved a "my happy place" ticket over and under bits of it; and tucked it under the bottom right corner of the vellum Polaroid, which was then anchored with a couple of everyday staples to complete the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from ScrapFriends' Sketch Challenge #21.
Please be sure to stop by the challenge link above to get all your challenge details, as well as to see what the rest of the team has created.  Thanks so much for peeking in!  Have a blessed Sunday and a fantastic start to your work weeks, friends!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Dockside & Guiding Light (Wplus9) Paper: White, Oatmeal, & Black (Wplus9); Riding Hood Red  & Whisper White (SU); vellum (Paper Studio); gray leafy (JBS); navy doily (Echo Park); red plaid (Fancy Pants); blue/red stripe (Bazzill); woodgrain (October Afternoon) Ink: Real Red, Old Olive, & Chocolate Chip (SU); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: navy thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Nautical Notions, Clear Cut Stackers: Rounded Rectangles, Clear Cut Stackers: Circles, Guiding Light, & Lacey Layers dies (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); nautical cut files & Cameo (Silhouette); Jack Frost & Patina Glimmer Mists (Tattered Angels); vellum "YOU & ME" Polaroid (Studio Calico); "KEEP" flashcard (JBS); "my happy place" ticket (Chic Tags); red button (JoAnn Fabrics); blue star button (unknown); anchor button & white arrow paperclip (Freckled Fawn); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); white string (Hobby Lobby); brown alphas (Fancy Pants); "you" cardstock sticker (Jillibean Soup); Dazzling Diamonds & paper piercing kit (SU); staples & stapler (office supply store)

21 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is soooooooooo gorgeous Jinny!! I love how you journaled, the title work, the colors and that anchor says it all!!!!

Shirl Boughner said...

very inspiring page Jinny. Love the journalling and all the little details you've added to bring the page together. This will be a much better year for you. Then you'll be doing layouts of Kaden and the other kids with him and pictures of your new house. It's gonna be a great one! Have faith.

Lynn said...

Jinny, your heartfelt journal is so beautiful. I know it's hard, but hold strong and the future will be better. xoxo

Jessica said...

This is so beautiful! I love how you carried the theme throughout and the journaling is fantastic!

Annette Allen said...

So sorry 2013 was hard but this year will be wonderful.. I know it.. This layout is so sweet..

Jennifer said...

Simply beautiful Jinny! Here's hoping 2014 brings only good times and memories.

Lisa said...

Very SPECIAL page Jinny. I'm so sorry the past year has been a difficult one for you and your family. I have faith that God will bring forth a better year. Hang in there.

Miriam Prantner said...

How wonderful that you take the time to write these things out! Hoping that 2014 is an easier year for you guys and that you will be able to all be together soon!

Tracy said...

Layer upon wonderful layer. What a joy to peruse each and every aspect of this layout. Hugs!

alexandra s.m. said...

Fabulous page! and I love your handwriting so much!!
Thank you Jinny

Linda R said...

A wonderful page my friend.. You look so cute, Love that photo..

Hugs~

Ashley Horton said...

Gorgeous layout Jinny!! I love how you used the nautical elements to embellish your page and reinforce the sentiment of your journaling!

yyam said...

This is gorgeous! Love how you did the journaling. You have such beautiful handwriting!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh Jinny this is beautiful ... not just in the amazing craft work but the words brought me to tears ... I truly hope that everything good that you can possibly dream of will come true for you this year. Hugs

Angi Barrs said...

Love the fabulous background on your page. Happy New Year!

Charlene said...

Well here's to a better 2014!! You have a precious baby on the way and that is one exciting event this year!!! I love your page!!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fabulous page Jinny. Love the blue background and the sweet elements.

Leslie Germain said...

WoW! Gorgeous page and great picture. Happy New Year, Jinny!

Zeneva Kovic said...

Beautiful! Love your heartfelt journaling and fabulous hand writing. The embellishments are perfect! Thank you for joining us at ScrapFriends!

Hilde Aaslund aka Scoobie said...

Wow, this is amazing. i love your heartfelt journaling, the mix of tecniques and materals and all the lovely details!

Zanka said...

I just LOVE your journaling and the way you incorporated it into the sketch area! What a wonderful tribute! Thank you for playing along at Scrap Friends!