Weekend Snapshots

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Well, hello there!  I know I'm a little late for weekend snapshots, but we've had a bit of a crazy start to our week.  I spent four hours thawing out frozen kitchen sink pipes Monday morning.  Ugh!  Fortunately, they didn't burst.  We've been there and done that years ago, too.  I did keep the cabinet doors open overnight, but it just wasn't enough.  Needless to say, I kept the faucet dripping and the heater turned up a bit more Monday night.  Because of all that, we played catch-up with our studies yesterday.  Not to mention, it finally reached double digits outside, so we ran a few errands along with the rest of Kansas City.  It was crazy busy out!

Anyway, I'm finally here today to share a few pics of our weekend.  After my doctor's appointment Friday afternoon, which went just fine by the way ;), we stopped at Archiver's for one last shopping trip.  I don't think they're actually closing until sometime in February, but I already have so much that I really shouldn't be shopping for more.  There were just a couple of things that I use all the time and needed to replenish in my stash.  Unfortunately, they were already sold out of most of those.  I did find a few things I couldn't resist, though.  I know all you paper crafters know how that goes.
Kaden's stroller, car seat, and swing arrived Friday morning.  So, after family movie night and as soon as our kiddos were tucked into bed, my hubby went to work putting them together.  I was working in the other room and heard him opening the stroller box.  Next thing I knew, he was pushing it into the kitchen with one hand.  It literally took him no time at all!  LOVE how easy this thing is to maneuver!  I wanted a running stroller with both Adina and Ezekiel, but we just never could afford it.  I guess it's kinda nice to have kiddos a little later in life ;).
Fortunately, it took him longer to put together the swing, and I was able to get a few pics.  We had one of these little portable things when both Ezekiel and Adina were babies, and I just loved how small it was and how easy it was to tuck away and/or take with us.  Unfortunately, I got rid of theirs, when we decided that Adina would be our last baby and had gotten all the use out of it we could.  So, we're starting over, but I really love this one.  It's so soft and has lots of swinging/sound options, not to mention that the gray and baby blue palette is ever so sweet.
Then, Saturday morning, we were off, to my mom and dad's, to celebrate my niece's twelfth and my nephew's tenth birthdays.
Adina is only a couple of years younger than her youngest cousins...
but there is such a difference in what they enjoy.  So, she pretty much just entertains herself.  Plus, she loves grandpa and grandma's kitties.
Kansas City's Starbucks are all out of Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but they're my favorite.  So, we thought we'd try our luck at the Starbucks where my parents live on the way home and lucked out!  Of course, my kiddos needed, or probably just wanted ;), a couple of kid-size hot cocoas, too.
We got lots of snow overnight Saturday and are expecting more tonight.  So, we hunkered down, ate a hot breakfast, and just enjoyed our Sunday together at home, before my hubby was off to his last week of work in South Dakota.  Yes, I said, "last".  Lots has been happening around our place.  Unfortunately, "lots" doesn't include showings or even the possibility of our home selling.  So, with baby's due date quickly approaching, we were faced with some tough decisions.  It wasn't feasible for the kids and I to move to South Dakota, with my hubby, without selling our home first.  So, he began looking more intentionally for work here in Kansas City.  Going back to his old job wasn't an option.  One thing we do know is that the Lord brought him out of that mess for a reason.  He is fortunate to be well-known here in his field of work, though, and was offered a job right away.  So, he begins work back home this coming Monday.

We still have mixed feelings about everything.  We really felt like all the signs pointed us to South Dakota, but just about as quick as we made the leap in that direction, all the doors slammed shut in our faces.  Yes, my hubby has enjoyed his job there; but the last ten weeks, with him there and us here, have been extremely difficult on all of us, especially with no end to the separation in sight.  Plus, he wasn't about to miss the birth of his son.  There has been such a lightness to his spirit since he decided to call it quits.  We're all looking forward to having him home once again.

We've decided to go ahead and leave our home on the market.  When we spend so much time at home, especially with homeschooling and the temperatures being insanely cold, 920 square feet gets really small with four people, let alone five.  So, we'll just wait and see what spring brings our way.  In the meantime, we'll continue to try to find our place in Kansas City.  Like I said before, it really is a beautiful city and has so much to offer.  Yes, nine years of living here is a long time to not have found our niche; but evidently, the Lord still has plans for us here.  So, we'll continue to search for that niche.

Maybe these last three months have been about my hubby and I learning to appreciate one another more.  Maybe he was supposed to meet somebody integral to his and/or their future(s) there.  Maybe I needed to learn to be more independent.  Maybe... Well, I'm not sure we'll ever know "why?" in this lifetime; but whatever it may be, at least we can say that we were obedient to His calling, even when it came at a great cost to us.  That's got to count for something.  Have a blessed day, friends!

15 comments:

Shirl Boughner said...

so glad to hear you will not have to be moving away from Kansas City. It will relieve so much stress for all of you and wonderful your hubby found a new job so quickly.

Anya said...

Awesome pictures! And I do know how it goes at the craft store when you stop by just to look at something :))

Miriam Prantner said...

So glad that he is able to be home with you guys! It sounds that like things have really worked out well despite the minor detour, but that it has made you all stronger!

Monika/Buzsy said...

I am so glad the family got some good news! Good luck with hubby's new job! Hope everything works out for the better. Great shopping trip! Love the baby stuff. :)

Annette Allen said...

aww i see you are getting ready for the baby... how fun.. so excited for you.. thanks for sharing..

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So glad that you have devised a plan for your home and a job for hubby!! LOVING the photos!!!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Hate to hear about the pipes Jinny, but so glad to hear that your hubby will be moving back to a job, where you can all be back together again!! Great news!!

Lynn said...

Jinny, I am so happy to hear that BJ has a new job in KC. I'm sure that there is a plan and many lessons learned. The pictures show many of the reasons why you are right where you need to be!

Lisa said...

I'm sure you both feel as though the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. I'm happy things are turning around for you with Kaden about to make his debut!! Big hugs and continued prayers for you and your family my sweet friend!

yyam said...

I'm sorry that it has been so trying of late, especially with you being pregnant. But I'm glad that there's something new to look forward to. Hope your hubby enjoys his new job and you find a bigger house for your growing family. Take care!

Jennifer said...

So happy to hear that you'll have DH back and he has already found a job! Whoo hoo...things will work out they way they are suppose to. Hugs!

alexandra s.m. said...

I'm so happy for you. You have lived through so much recently and I'm sure being all together to welcome your son to this world will be the best decision ever.
Good Luck GF!
xx

Tracy said...

I'll just say God's will be done. :-) I know that having him home is such a relief to you. We tried the long distance job thing a couple of times and it was never worth it. If we could only see the whole puzzle instead of just one piece at a time huh. LOL. Hugs and prayers to you Jinny!

Maria said...

So happy to hear that your husband is back home again with you and children! I know that you and family have been through a lot lately! Take care and blessings to you and family, hugs!

Larissa Heskett said...

AWESOME THINGS are happening!! ;) SOSOSOSO Happy for you and your family!! To finally be back together!!! It is funny to think that all things happen for a reason, but they do and soon enough you'll understand why your lives have been so CRAZY the last couple on months!! So EXCITED for you and I just can't wait to meet you!! Now that'll be staying in KC The next time we are there we'll have to try and met up!! ;) THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Weekend!! ;)