Kaden's Birth Story

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I guess I should begin with Friday, January 31, 2014.  That afternoon was my last visit with my OBGYN before Kaden's birth.  I was dilated 2 cm and 90% effaced.  She asked me how I was feeling, and I told her the way I did the week before I gave birth to my other two.  I teased that Ezekiel was born on 07/07, and Adina was born on 11/01.  So, I was a little worried about Sunday with it being 02/02.  She laughed and said, "Let's shoot for anytime after next Tuesday"; because, at that point, I would be 37 weeks which is considered full term.  Of course, I assured her that I'd do everything I could to make that happen, but nobody could stop Kaden's plans.

All day Saturday, February 1, 2014, I was having contractions about 10 minutes apart.  It was more than that at times and a little less than that, too, but I was feeling good for the most part.  Then, I was woke out of a sound sleep, around 1:30 am, on Sunday, February 2, 2014, with stronger contractions coming every five minutes.  My water ruptured around 2:30 am, and the planned calls, for our stay in the hospital, were put through.

By 4:45 am, we were getting signed in at our hospital's Birth Center.  They took me right to labor and delivery and hooked me up to what felt like every contraption under the sun.  It's so frustrating to want to be able to move about and be hindered to do so by so many cords and wires and whatnot.

Hard labor began around 7:30 am.  My hubby was AMAZING, which helped keep me sane, because I felt like my labor and delivery nurse was uber condescending.  I mean, I know they do this sort of thing every day, which is why I was counting on her to give me pointers and ideas to get me through, but I didn't expect all the undertones.  All I can say is thank goodness we get to pick our doctors, because both mine and Kaden's were and are the best!

By 12:30 pm, I had been stuck at 8 cm for nearly two hours.  I'd had it!  I've had crazy painful back labor with all my kiddos, and it wasn't subsiding with Kaden.  As soon as Ezekiel rotated face down for delivery, it was as if I'd had what I imagine an epidural would be like.  The back labor ceased, and I regained complete control despite being in labor for over 14 hours.  Adina was born so stinkin' fast that I didn't really have time to lose momentum, and once again, made it through.  I guess the thought of needing an epidural to get me through scared Kaden right out of me, because literally, the epidural guy was standing by my bedside, when my doctor said that it was too late.  Now, I've done this twice before and knew it could be done, but never before have I ever experienced this kind of prolonged pain without some kind of relief.  Fortunately, the pushing part is easy in comparison to labor itself, though.  So, her words were music to my ears; and by 12:45 pm, Kaden was lying in my arms.
After we were given a little birthday cake...
he was swept away for his first bath...
but not before a little cuddle time with Daddy.
By the time our other kiddos came for a visit later that night, I was beyond exhausted and look it in these pics.  Folks, I'd nearly passed out half a dozen times that afternoon.  So, please, no judgments.
Ezekiel and Adina are completely smitten with their new baby brother.  Adina wants to help with EVERYTHING, and Ezekiel seems so proud and much more interested than he was when Adina was born.  They brought Kaden the little moose they picked out for him, and Kaden helped me pick out a few things for them, too.
Grandpa and Grandma were also there to say hello.
I look much better and a little more refreshed the next day ;).
Kaden even got a visit from the associate pastor of our church who prayed a beautiful prayer over him.  Gosh, I wish I could've recorded it to play back every word over and over and over again.
Unfortunately, that refreshed feeling was short-lived, as my parents decided to head home a day early in order to miss the winter storm headed our way.  It was just too much of an inconvenience to them to stay a day longer and wait it out.  Because we had already discussed them staying with the kids until we were released from the hospital, and they were on board, we didn't have a backup plan.  So, my hubby was forced to leave me to fend off the bottle pushers and nipple Nazis (a term we affectionately gave to lactation consultants way back when Ezekiel was born) all by myself.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink that night.  I won't go into a lot of detail of the events of the night or all the feelings that overwhelmed me.  I'll save them for a scrapbook page ;).  But I was ever so happy to see these sweet faces the next morning.
I found out, during the night, that the hospital had to do a two-hour car seat screen on Kaden before he could go home.  Unfortunately, the car seat was in the van with my hubby.  So, they got there super early in order for us not to get stuck another night in the hospital.  While we waited on the screen, I took these pics of the beginnings of our nine inches of snow out my hospital room window.
Then, we were on our way home with my poor baby who was exhausted from all the clearance stuff he'd been put through that morning.
We did stop for some Goodcents (Adina's favorite) sandwiches on our way home, but then, I promptly crawled into bed and let my hubby take over as Mr. Mom.  He was home with us all week and ever so helpful with doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning, entertaining Ezekiel and Adina, running errands, supporting me, and everything in between.  I'm one lucky girl, friends ;).
He's now back to work, and we're stumbling along but adjusting well.  We had a little outing to Walmart while Ezekiel was in band class yesterday morning and survived.  I'm exhausted and sore.  My house is a mess.  The laundry needs done AGAIN.  We still haven't gotten back in the swing of our studies.  There's dirty dishes in the sink, and I don't have a clue what's for dinner tonight, but I'm content and filled with awe at the miracle of childbirth and the wonder of family.  Hugs!

23 comments:

Shirl Boughner said...

oh my Jinny, what a time you've had but such a prize too. He's so beautiful and his eyes look very bright.
The kids look like they just adore him.
All the dishes and laundry will eventually get done - no clean dishes just means take-out. I think Ezekial is old enough to do dishes and do a great job and they can air dry of Adina can dry!
Don't know what this seat testing is about - never heard of it before.
You just take care of yourself and rest when you can.
prayers being sent your way.

Miriam Prantner said...

Wow! What a story! I think the dates for your kids birthday is such a fun coincidence - definitely layout worthy, and so glad that BJ was able to be there for so much and help you through that first week. Hang in there! Rest when you can. Things will get done with they need to get done. And there is no shame in eating pizza/take out for at least three weeks. ;)

Leslie Germain said...

you look beautiful even tired (right after having Kaden) Enjoy and rest. There is plenty of time for doing the wash!

Tracy said...

Poor Jinny. You've been on a wild ride haven't you girl. You just remember you have strength from above. Just keep loving that sweet baby and the rest of your family and everything else will fall into place. Sending big hugs!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Are you kidding me girl??? You look BEAUTIFUL!!!! Sorry you had such a rough time with his birth and then the storm having your folks leaving early ... so wish I was there to help :) PS ... a package left my house today to you ... so add another to-do to check your mail soon :)

Lisa said...

Well after all you've been through I'm glad everyone is home SAFE and SOUND. You've been blessed with a beautiful family Jinny. Don't fret over things not getting done, I think mama has a good excuse!! I'm sure BJ will get things a bit more under control for you this weekend ;)

PS I love the picture of little Kaden all bundled up in his car seat!

Ros Crawford said...

You do look beautiful! As do your kiddos ... I can tell you if I lived near you I would have LOVED to help out ... Don't fret about things ... just get yourself strong and everything else will fall into place ... sending big hugs!

Marybeth said...

I was led to your blog from a another and I am so happy I stopped back in today. Congratulations on your beautiful gift from God.. You look beautiful and I loved your story. For what its worth I never had anything for the pain all 4 times… I always knew there was going to be a huge blessing in the end. Thanks for sharing , try to get some rest and enjoy!

Maria said...

Awwww...what a blessing your family is, Jinny! So precious are all the photos! Take care and rest! Things will fall into place soon, hugs!

Ashley Horton said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet photos, Jinny!! He is such a cutie!! And you look awesome for natural childbirth!! I had C-Sections with all 3 and didn't have to do anything, but looked like death warmed over! HA! And sorry hubby had to leave you, since the plans changed. When we had our 3rd, I went in and he was born on a Monday. By Wednesday, my hubby had full blown pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital a floor down from me, and by Friday, had to be ventilated. It was a nightmare, but thankfully he recovered and was able to come home a few days after I was released!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Congratulations again Jinny! It's over, you did it and there he is, your sweet prize! Rest, take care of yourself... then embrace your wonderful family!

Linda R said...

Awww!! I just loved reading your post! Even though your exhausted, you can still feel all the Love through your words my friends!! He is adorable! The best of luck to you and your family!

Charlene said...

Oh my goodness these pictures are precious!!! I love that you shared and we can be included in your joyous birth of sweet little kaden!!!Congrats and big hugs!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a beautifully written post, Jinny! Congratulations and God bless you all! The baby is adorable...what a tiny little bug! You looked beautiful in every photo, you really do. Big hugs, girl!!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I love the truth of this post... sending hugs.

Annette Allen said...

what a SWEET SWEET POST.. thanks for sharing Jinny. Your family is just to sweet and what a blessing. Wishing nothing but happiness.

Larissa Heskett said...

OMG!! SWWEET Jinny!! I know each Birth is different and even the feelings and the healing the older we get is different too!! =) FUNNY how NOONE tells you these things when you are younger!! LOL!! I know neither of us are that old, but being Pregnant for 9 months and then giving birth at any age is HARD all on its own and it seems to me the older you get the harder it is to go through and recover from!! I know after Greyson was born last January it took me two weeks longer to heal and feel like I did within just one weeks time after Beckett was born!!
I'm SO HAPPY for you and your FAMILY though, and I know that you will make it through and things will be back to normal soon!! TAKE the time you need to heal right though, because if not you'll be healing for twice as long if you push and over due things and end up hurting yourself!!
You looked BEAUTIFUL by the way for just giving birth and if anyone is seriously going to judge you after you just gave birth med. free well they aren't worth your time anyway!! =)
SO looking forward to all of the joys ahead for you and your Family and sending you TONS of Hugs and Country Kisses!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

Jeanne J said...

I feel like I have been away forever Jinny! Oh my goodness! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you my friend. What a wonderful post full of beautiful picture! I am so proud of you - you done good Jinny! Kaden is absolutely beautiful! Another blessing!

Angi Barrs said...

What a beautiful birth story. He is so precious and sweet!

artful-notions said...

Jinny, you don't me, but came to your blog through another to find your wonderful, funny, happy story of precious Kaden's birth. As a woman who's been through childbirth 3 times, you brought back memories that still make me laugh and cry. Bless you sweet lady, and your gorgeous family! And please heed the advice of an older mama, enjoy the moments with the newbe the nest will eventually find order! These are memories worth holding dear!

Елена Сальникова said...

Jinny,Я поздравляю тебя с малышом!!!!! Чудесный мальчик! Здоровья вам и счастья! Пусть растёт на радость всей вашей семье!!!

Emily H said...

YAY!! Congratulations!! He looks amazing!

Elli Degennaro said...

What a great experience for you - from the moment you had your last check up, until the day you gave birth. Giving birth is always one moment that every mother will treasure. And I’m glad that you’re both safe and healthy.

Elli