The Studio No Photo Challenge

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Note: If you've come here looking for my Wplus9 Feb./Mar. Release: Day 1  post, please scroll down.

Morning, friends!  I'm back to share my take on a new challenge from The Studio.  This time we'd like you to create a layout with no photo.  As soon as I saw this challenge, I knew that I wanted to use it to scrap my hubby's business cards from his job that would have supported our move to South Dakota.  He was there for ten weeks, and it was our plan to join him as soon as our house sold.  Unfortunately, our baby's pending arrival and the lack of interest on our house forced him to move back home.  Because my kiddos and I weren't there with him, I don't have any photos of the whole ordeal, but I had so much I wanted to journal of this difficult time in our lives.  So, the business cards seemed to say it all.
I started this layout by using templates to cut both the center of the sun and its rays from a gold, floral, patterned paper and anchoring them with blue-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  I then secured a trio of hand-cut, patterned, paper banners near the top and bottom edges of the design and used the bottom grouping to anchor the front and back of my hubby's business cards.  Their left edge was dressed up with an arrow transparency, as well as a "Reminisce", cardstock sticker and vintage flatback.
The cards were then grounded with my "Our ABRAHAM & ISAAC MOMENT" title, which was created from a Cameo-cut, Whisper White cardstock word, which I later glittered; blue, circle alphas; and blue, polka dot, chipboard Thickers.
Before the sun rays were stitched down, I tucked a vintage post card, dressed up with a "Seek ADVENTURE" stamp and length of white string, tied in a bow, under its top edges and used the card to journal, LOVE how Miss Lisa, Ezekiel's Awana teacher, described this whole 10-wk. process as our "Abraham and Isaac moment."  Maybe BJ working in SD and us trying to sell the house and join him was the Lord testing us to show us what we were willing to do for Him.  Maybe He was teaching us to listen when nothing makes any sense.  Maybe He wanted us to meet someone integral to our and/or their future(s) there.  We may never know "why" in this lifetime, but at least we can say that we were obedient to His calling even when it came at a great cost to us.  That's got to count for something.  "We make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."  Prov. 16:9.
An "Autumn" transparency, anchored with a couple of simple staples...
a number of cardstock stickers, raised with foam tape; and a perforated, November 4, 2013 - January 10, 2014, date label complete the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from Creative Scrappers' Sketch #261.
Our sponsor this month, with a £12.50 voucher to use in their shop, is AbsoluteSCRAP.
You have until Sunday, March 2, 2014, to enter this week's No Photo and/or our Love Colour challenge(s).  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be blessed!

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: Whisper White (SU); navy striped & vintage perforated (Jenni Bowlin); teal chevron (Fancy Pants); woodgrain (October Afternoon); gold floral & washed aqua (Carta Bella) Ink: Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: blue thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); post card, "REMEMBER THIS." cardstock sticker banner, vintage flatback, perforated date label, & blue circle alphas (Jenni Bowlin); "Autumn" & arrow transparencies & "Seek ADVENTURE" postage stamp (Basic Grey); staples & stapler (office supply store); white string (Hobby Lobby); Dazzling Diamonds (SU); Cameo (Silhouette); blue polka dot chipboard Thickers (Dear Lizzy); "Reminisce", "our big adventure", & Charles M. Schulz cardstock stickers (October Afternoon); "Memories" sticker (unknown); circle template (Fiskars); rays template (Studio Calico)

17 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love that you documented this time in your lives!!!! I loveeeeeeeeeee this page!!!!

Annette Allen said...

wow what a great layout..

Ros Crawford said...

This is beautiful and so touching ... and something you will look back on many times in the years to come

Miriam Prantner said...

What a beautiful layout, and I love the idea of the Abraham Isaac moment. So glad that you took the time to really chronicle this difficult period of time.

Shirl Boughner said...

such a encouraging layout Jinny. Loved the colour scheme and how you used the sun to signal the light at the end of the journey and how you used BJ's business cards in place of a photo.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh, Jinny, I don't know what to say. I have a bittersweet feeling in my heart for what you all have been through...do you know what I mean? In fact, I was just telling my daughters and husband about your new baby, and how BJ was living elsewhere until your house sold, and that I wondered where you all were in this big plan. Well, now I know a bit more! I hope BJ still has a job now that he's moved back. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

Tracy said...

I'm in layering heaven here. Wowza this is great. So much to look at and study. Hugs!

Ashley Horton said...

Awesome non-photo layout Jinny, and I really love how you used the CS sketch for inspiration!!

Larissa Heskett said...

AWESOME and MEANINGFUL Layout Jinny!! Even this challenge seems meant to be in order for you to scrap this so that you'll have it forever as a piece for your life story!! thanks for sharing and have a Fabulous Weekend!! =)

Jeanne J said...

Beautiful layout and I agree with you - you might not know the reason now that things didn't work out, but maybe you will understand it later. When I lost my job it sort of felt like the end of the world Now, looking back years later it gave me the time I was missing with my kids and I am thankful.

Maria said...

Beautiful layout with great journaling to help heal for all that your family went through, Jinny! I'm glad that things are going so much better for you now! Take care, hugs!

Miae said...

That is really a creative way to memory keep a challenging time in your life. I think no photo pages can be challenging but your page turned out wonderfully!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful LO and beautiful way to record these memories. So happy you are all together now. Just beautiful!

yyam said...

Wow. Awesome documentation. LOVE the entire composition. And your lovely handwriting!

Angi Barrs said...

What a great way to use a post card! Gorgeous page!

Leslie Germain said...

Jinny, this layout is beautiful and powerful. Wonderful job documenting this moment in your lives! Hope the little guy is doing well!!

pysselpetra said...

love the design. how clever of you to use a postcard instead of a photo for this challenge. its great to be on the TSC team with you..