For the Moms in My Life

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hello, friends!  I put myself up to a bit of a challenge this weekend to use both Wplus9 Design's Strictly Sentiments 4 and a gorgeous, new, vintage, floral image from JBS Mercantile on a trio of Mother's Day creations for my Mom and sisters.  Here's how it turned out.
I started this card by gold embossing the floral image in the top center of a piece of woodgrain, floral, patterned paper.  I don't know if you can tell, but I saw Betsy Sammarco's Woodgrain Mask and Stamp tutorial on the JBS Inspiration Blog and put it to work here by masking off the spaces between the wood planks before embossing.
I then trimmed it, across its bottom edge, with a strip of aqua, floral, patterned paper; framed them with white cardstock; machine stitched, with white-threaded, zig-zag, machine stitches, around their edges and between their combined edges (Leave it to me to add depth with the masking technique above and take it right back away with the stitching ;).); and wrapped it, three times, with a length of hemp twine, which I tied in a bow just right of center.  It was then adhered, with foam tape, to the kraft, cardstock, card face.  More foam tape secures the photo, journaling card, which was stamped, in Coastal Cabana and Jet Black inks, with the "Mom I HOPE YOUR DAY IS EXTRA SPECIAL, JUST LIKE YOU." sentiment, near the left edge of the card face.
A hint of glitter for a portion of the sentiment and gold butterfly, embellished with a row of pearls, complete the look.
This second card goes to my big sister.
I started her card by stamping the blooms, in Daffodil Delight and More Mustard inks, in the top center of a piece of green, script, patterned paper and trimming it, across its bottom edge, with a portion of a red, polka dot, journaling card.
I then distress inked around their combined edges; adhered them to the Oatmeal, cardstock, card face, which had its bottom corners rounded to coordinate with the journaling card; created a double frame around the floral bit's edges with red-threaded, straight, machine stitches; and stamped the journaling piece, in Lucky Limeade and Chocolate Chip inks, with the "on Mother's Day AND EVERY DAY, YOU ARE LOVED MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW." sentiment.
A length of red, gingham ribbon was then wrapped around the card face; tied, in a bow, near the left edge; and embellished with a red button, laced with a hemp twine bow, as well as a kraft tag, dressed up with a little, yellow, heart, enamel bit.
And this final creation was designed with my little sister in mind.
I started this card by water coloring, with Tumbled Glass, Spun Sugar, and Dusty Concord Distress inks, using a chevron stencil, on a piece of watercolor paper; stamping it, in Jet Black ink, with the vintage, floral image; and white embossing over it with the "happy Mother's Day" sentiment.
I then trimmed the prepped piece's top edge with a strip of purple, polka dot, patterned paper and framed the two with both Perfect Plum cardstock and white-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  Before adhering it, with foam tape, to the white, cardstock, card face, I wrapped a length of white, seam binding ribbon around it; tied it, in a double bow, near the right edge; backed it with a bit of cheesecloth for texture; and embellished it with a pink button, laced with a white, chord bow.
There you have it.  Maybe a few things I'd do differently next time, but all-in-all, I think my challenge was successful.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Don't forget to get your name in the hat for my Giveaway by Friday, and have a wonderful Wednesday, friends!  Oh, and Julie, the baby shampoo bubbles worked!  Woohoo!  THANK YOU!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Strictly Sentiments 4 (Wplus9); vintage blooms (JBS) Paper: White & Kraft (Wplus9); aqua floral (October Afternoon); woodgrain floral (My Mind's Eye) Ink: Coastal Cabana (SU); Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); gold embossing powder (Ranger); photography journaling card & gold butterfly (JBS); pearls (sei); hemp twine (The Ribbon Reel); Dazzling Diamonds (SU)
{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Strictly Sentiments 4 (Wplus9); vintage blooms (JBS) Paper: Oatmeal (Wplus9); green script (JBS) Ink: Lucky Limeade, More Mustard, Daffodil Delight, & Chocolate Chip (SU); Tea Dye & Antique Linen (Ranger) Other: red thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers); kraft tag (JBS); yellow heart enamel bit (October Afternoon); gingham ribbon (Hobby Lobby); hemp twine (The Ribbon Reel); red button (CHA); Dazzling Diamonds (SU); red polka dot journaling card (American Crafts); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives)

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Strictly Sentiments 4 (Wplus9); vintage blooms (JBS) Paper: White (Wplus9); watercolor & Perfect Plum (SU); purple polka dot (Jillibean Soup) Ink: Tumbled Glass, Spun Sugar, Dusty Concord, & Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); white embossing powder (Ranger); button (Paper Studio); cheesecloth (Dritz); white chord (Hobby Lobby); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); chevron template (JBS)

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love all 3 cards Jinny! Love how you make everything work so week together. I think my favorite is the middle one...

Lisa said...

Amazing cards Jinny! All three different yet beautiful in their own way. I agree with Jennifer, the second is my fave. The red gets me every time!

Charlene said...

Absolutely amazing cards!! I love all the detail and the gold!

Angi Barrs said...

Gorgeous! Love the colors!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeousness! What lucky recipients, these are little works of art!

Leslie Germain said...

WOW, Jinny!! All of your mother's day cards are gorgeous! I am sure your mom and sisters will cherish these beautiful creations!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Gorgeous cards and what lucky mother's to them!

Annette Allen said...

wow you have been busy.. these are GORGEOUS.. love all the special elements and that big sentiment.. just love it..

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwwww! These are gorgeous my friend!! I loveeeeeeee the colors and the stitching!!!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Beautiful cards Jinny. Especially love the first one with the gold butterfly! So many great layers! You are so thoughtful!

Shirl said...

love all 3 cards Jinny but the first one got me. love the gold with turquoise and the butterfly is gorgeous. Great job.

Ros Crawford said...

Stunning cards and I adore that masking technique!

KimCreate said...

Beautiful cards!

Larissa Heskett said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! OMG Girl you have been BUSY!! I just LOVE your different Designs!! The Gold Embossing, the Stitching and the touches of sparkle along with the different colors and techniques I LOVE them ALL!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND!! =)

Ashley Horton said...

These are all gorgeous, Jinny! Such amazing work on each card!

Miae said...

Wow Jinny, your cards are exquisite, gorgeous! The ladies in your life are going to be very lucky to get them! Happy Mother's day to you too!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OH MY, Jinny! These cards are super fabulous! I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE how you've added a bit of glitter on the sentiments--- LOOOOOOOOOVE! LOVE your layering of papers and the bows.... love your stitching.... I LOVE all of your creations! LOVE LOVE LOVE <3 YOU ROCK!

Hope you are doing well!! Much love and lots of hugs <3 Happy Mother's Day <3

~Tammy~ said...

Your cards could not be any more amazing! I mean really! I always adore your ribbon treatments and layering! Right up this girls alley!

Anya said...

Amazing cards! The first one has to be the winner for me :)

Tracy said...

Oh my what a trio of beauties these are. Your stamping is amazing girl. Serious eye candy. Hugs!

Colleen Dietrich said...

These are each so pretty, my fave being the top one. Bet your mom and sisters loved them!