For the Love of Books

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Happy Tuesday, friends!  I've got a packed-to-the-brim Family Update post coming your way tomorrow, but being as we're already into the last full week of June, I've got my monthly For the Love of Books pick, for you all, this morning.  This book is written for children ages four to seven and is both a 1997 New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of the Year and 1998 Caldecott Honor Book.
The Gardener, written by Sarah Stewart and illustrated by her husband, David Small, takes place during the Great Depression.  It is the heartwarming story of a young girl, named Lydia Grace Finch, who is sent to the big city to live with and work for her Uncle Jim, a baker who has developed a permanent scowl, "until things get better".  Lydia Grace is an avid gardener and excited about learning to bake.  She makes it her mission to conjure up Uncle Jim's smile.  She also gradually brings light and life to the bakery and her neighborhood by filling the once-empty window boxes, as well as containers brought to her by her neighbors, with a variety of flowers and vegetables from seed packets and baby plants sent to her by her Mama, Papa, and Grandma in the country.  But it's the spectacular rooftop garden that she's hoping will bring back Uncle Jim's smile.

I hope you all are having just as much fun with these monthly books as I am.  If you've read or are off to pick up or borrow a copy of The Gardener, or any of my monthly picks for that matter, I'd love to hear about it.  Reading and creating a love for good children's literature has been a passion of mine for some time, and to know you and your family are enjoying my picks would just put a huge smile on my face.  For your convenience, I've tagged each of these book reviews "for the love of books".  You can also click on the For the Love of Books page tab, to the right, to see nearly two years of great reads.  Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to stop in!  Be blessed!

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhh I will have to get this one!!!!