Happy Birthday, Ezekiel!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Morning, friends!  I meant to post this yesterday, as it was my big kiddo's real birthday; but Adina started swim lessons, and Kaden was being a bit of a stinker not taking his morning nap, and we all were busy celebrating.  One thing after another simply led to it not getting done, but that doesn't change the sentiment in the least and gives me a chance to share pics, too.  So, let's begin with his card.
I started this card by smudging a piece of woodgrain, patterned paper, through a star stencil, with Tumbled Glass Distress ink and silver embossing it with more stars.  I then anchored it to the White, cardstock, card face with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches...
and stamped it, in Jet Black ink, with the partial "BIRTHDAY" sentiment.  The beginning of the "happy BIRTHDAY" sentiment was die-cut from vellum and stapled to the bottom of a "LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK!" card...
which I glittered and dressed up with a stamped, in Daffodil Delight ink, on White cardstock, and hand-cut out moon, which was hung from the top of the card with a bit of white string, tied in a bow.
My kiddos and I spent the afternoon at the pool, as it was simply too hot for much of anything else, and came home to enjoy Ezekiel's pick of dinner with Daddy, steak, Crash Hot Potatoes, and edamame...
followed by a Triple Layer Lemon Cake.  Mmmmm!
Then, Ezekiel had gifts to open...
and just as quick as it started, it was all over.  My baby is officially eleven-years-old.  Sigh.  I can still remember bringing him home from the hospital, promising him I'd be the best Mommy I possibly could be.  I'll be honest and say that the first few years were lots easier to keep that promise than the last.  There have been days when I didn't know which direction to turn and wanted to throw my hands in the air and quit.  I've said things that I didn't mean and done things I never want to admit I've done.  Fortunately, he still loves me.  We're both learning as we go, knowing that it won't always be pretty but resting in the knowledge that I'm still trying to be the best Mommy I can possibly be to the talented, happy, bright, independent, loving, thoughtful young man I'm lucky enough to call my own.  I love you, Ezekiel!  May the Lord bless you with many more happy birthdays!

Thanks so much for humbling me with a visit, friends!  Oh, and thank you, too, for all the anniversary wishes!  We hired a sitter for my big kiddos and went out to dinner with our littlest.  It was only for a couple of hours, and it went by in a flash; but my hubby and I had the opportunity to just talk and think about where we've been and where we're going.  It was really nice.  Thanks again!  Be blessed!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Fall-O-Ween (Market Street Stamps); Whole Lotta' Happy & Backgrounds & Borders 3 (Wplus9) Paper: White (Wplus9); woodgrain & vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Jet Black & Tumbled Glass (Ranger); Daffodil Delight (SU!); watermark (VersaMark) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); white string (Hobby Lobby); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); silver embossing powder & Dazzling Diamonds (SU!); star template (JBS); Happy Trio die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); "LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK" pocket card (American Crafts); staples & stapler (office supply store)

14 comments:

Missy Whidden said...

Aw, happy birthday to your oldest babe! So sweet :) Your card is amazing...your attention to detail is always so perfect! I love the string and the vellum...gorgeous!

Miriam Prantner said...

Hooray! Looks like a wonderful birthday, yummy food, great gifts and such a sweet card!

KimCreate said...

Beautiful masculine card. I love it, thanks for sharing your birthday pics and being honest about how trying it can be to be a mother!

Lisa said...

CUTE card and sentiment Jinny! The happiest of belated birthday wishes to Ezekiel. Looks and sounds like GOOD times!

Lynn said...

Oh happy birthday to Ezekiel. I love his card. Don't be too hard on yourself either Jinny. We have all done things we know we could have done better. You are an amazing mother. I think to myself all the time...does Ryan (my oldest) know I'm a rookie? All the things I experience I think in my head, "Rookie! Rookie! Am I qualified?!" xoxo

Leslie Germain said...

Adorable card and Happy Birthday to Ezekiel. He is the same age as my daughter!! :)

~amy~ said...

Such a FUN card! Yum to the birthday menu and dessert! Happy Belated to the Birthday Boy!

Annette Allen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EZEKIEL... looks like it was a great day.. love that birthday card..

Tracy said...

Wow, he's turning into a young man so quickly. Happy birthday Ezekiel! your card is a layered delight. Hugs and here's to many more happy years of birthdays and anniversaries!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Happy birthday Ezekiel!!!!! I love love love the card you made for him! LOVING the stitching and the moon!!!!!!

yyam said...

Ooooh...looks like he had a great birthday! The card looks fabulous and that cake...yum!

Ros Crawford said...

Stunning card for one lovely young man!! Happy Birthday Ezekiel! And I loved reading your post ... you're a great Mom ... you only have to look at your kiddies to see that ... All we can do is our best and love them ...

Charlene said...

Looks like an awesome birthday along with a GREAT card!!! Happy Birthday Ezekiel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Tammy~ said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ezekiel!!! Handsome Boy!

Your card is smashing for him! Love it!

Look at that new glove to break in! Fab and fun!

You are NO different than any mom! There is no parent out there that has had an easy time no matter how "easy" we have seen some make it look. Some of us just make terrible poker players is all and wear our heart on our sleeve! YOU ROCK!