For the Love of Books

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Well, here we are nearly at the close of yet another month, but the end of this month is unique in that it marks the end of the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer for most of us, as our kiddos head back to school.  So, in honor of my middle kiddo beginning kindergarten this year, I rummaged through my kindergarten-specific books and picked out one that has long been a favorite of mine.  It is written for children ages three to six.
Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten, written by Joseph Slate and illustrated by Ashley Wolff, introduces us to Miss Bindergarten's students as they prepare for their first day of kindergarten and make their way to school and she herself readies their classroom.  It still amazes me, having been a kindergarten teacher myself, that she does it all in one morning, even has the time to read the paper over breakfast.  It used to take me days and days and days to get my classroom all set for my students.  But from beginning to end, this book is filled to the brim with playful, rhyming text, as well as deliciously vibrant, watercolor illustrations that both draw the reader in and fill them with excitement for a year of fun to begin.

I'm sure Miss Bindergarten and her class of alphabetized critters aren't strangers to many of you, as there are now upwards of a dozen different Miss Bindergarten books, celebrating their first to last day of kindergarten and everything in between, but I can guarantee that readers and listeners alike will find a piece of themselves in this multifaceted treasure.

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sounds great!!!!!!

Larissa Heskett said...

LOVE this!! =) THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Weekend!! =)