For the Love of Books

Thursday, October 30, 2014

First and foremost, let me just say how proud we are of our Kansas City Royals.  We are thoroughly bummed by their World Series loss but beyond thrilled by their American League Championship win.  What a talented bunch of young men!  They've got lots of years left to play, and we'll be right here to keep cheering them on.  Thanks for a phenomenal postseason, guys!

With that said, here I am bringing you this month's For the Love of Books post with just a couple of days left in the month yet again.  I never mean to do it.  Matter of fact, I usually have a book picked out long before the month even arrives.  There are just too many great books to share!  Time just slips away from me, but I'm here, none-the-less, now.  So, let's just get right to it.  I have been asked over and over again why my family doesn't celebrate Halloween.  Well, this month's book choice, written for children ages nine to twelve, sums it up more eloquently and sensitively than I ever could.  Please know that it is not meant to be a judgment upon anyone else's decisions one way or another but simply an explanation of ours.
Mommy, Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween?, written by Linda Hacon Winwood and illustrated by Al Berg, gives a detailed history behind the origins of Halloween and its evolution from the Irish Celts to what it has become today through a simple/understandable conversation between a mother and her children.  Mom does a great job of encouraging her children to not be afraid to ask their questions and guiding them in answering many of those questions with what they already know to be true.  Then, when her daughter challenges as to whether or not she really believes all the things they discussed, she responds in a way that I think is completely worth quoting.  "Yes, I do, Sarah.  Some people think I'm making a big deal over nothing, but God has placed Daddy and me over you to protect you and to teach you about Jesus.  We are not willing to give Satan the tiniest crack to enter your lives and hurt you.  It's the joy, peace, and good news of Jesus that we want to plant in your hearts and minds.  We cannot allow you to do something we know dishonors Him.  That's why we don't permit Halloween in our home."

Friends, I know there are a lot of controversies and opinions surrounding this book and Halloween in general, but I encourage you to seek the written word to formulate and/or solidify your own decisions; "and whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him" (Colossians 3:17).  Thanks so much for reading!  Have a safe and memorable weekend!  Hugs!

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sounds like a great book! :)

PS .... have you happened to look at the PS DT blog lately?? *wink* :)