Fall Guy Happy Birthday

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Morning, y'all!  It's such a beautiful one in our neck of the woods, but the weather people are saying that cold temps will be back tomorrow, so we're planning to get our end of the season yard work done today.  We'd also like to venture over to pick out our Christmas tree, and I've got heaps of laundry and house cleaning that are calling my name.  There's never a shortage of things to do around my house.  But before I get to all that and while I wait for the coffee to take effect, I wanted to share my brother-in-law's birthday card.  Guy cards are so hard for me, and I know many of you have said the same thing.  So, hopefully, his card will help inspire one for a special guy in your life.  Oh!  And that little, polka dot envelope was stuffed with a Cold Stone Creamery gift card, but I forgot to tuck it in there until all my close-ups were already shot, so I slipped it in quick at the end of my shoot and snapped the first photo below.  Enjoy!
I started this card by piecing the mustard, wagon wheels and plaid, patterned papers together on a piece of White cardstock; copper-embossing the leaves trailing from the top right to bottom left corner; and machine stitching, with navy-threaded, straight stitches, around their combined edges.
I then wrapped the piece, over the connection of the patterned papers, with a length of denim ribbon, which I tied, in a bow, near the left edge and embellished with a wood veneer button, laced with white string, before tucking a polka dot envelope, behind the length of ribbon, in the center of the prepped piece and adhering the entire thing, with foam tape, to the Kraft, cardstock, card face.
The centerpiece was white and copper-embossed on a Black, cardstock, frame die cut.  I then stamped right over the images themselves with matching White and Copper inks; rubbed them slightly with a paper towel just to smudge the ink and make it look more like an authentic chalkboard; and adhered it, just to the right of the embellished bow, in the center of the envelope.  The sentiment was stamped, in Jet Black ink, on a stamped, in Jet Black ink, on vellum, and hand-cut banner and adhered near the base of the embossed piece to complete the look.
I'll be back late tomorrow with a creation for Paper Sweeties' monthly challenge.  Until then, thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a terrific weekend!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Rustic GreetingsSpeaking of Fall (The Craft's Meow) Paper: Kraft, Black, & White (Wplus9); mustard wagon wheels & plaid (Echo Park); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Copper (sei); White (SU!); watermark (VersaMark); Jet Black (StazOn) Other: navy thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Label Layers 1 die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); polka dot envelope (Paper Studio); white & copper embossing powders & denim ribbon (SU!); wood veneer button (Jenni Bowlin); white string (Hobby Lobby)

10 comments:

Annette Allen said...

what a fabulous card.. love how you used this deer.. great designing..

Lisa said...

Sounds like a busy day for you! This is a perfect guy card and who wouldn't LOVE the ice-cream gift card!!

Tenia Nelson said...

Love!!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

What a great card! That stag head just glows and I love the stitching and the stamped leaves.

~amy~ said...

Jinny, I LOVE this.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! I loveeeeeee the layers and the deer!!!!!

Maria said...

Love the embossing with the white deer and copper underneath! It is stunning against the black frame! Wonderful layering and bow, too, for this gorgeous masculine card, Jinny!:)

Ashley Horton said...

This is an awesome masculine card, Jinny! I really love the mix of colors!!

Tracy said...

Deers--guys...looks like a winning combo to me. Great card Jinny. I find it very hard to believe you have trouble making anything though. :-) Hugs!

Leslie Germain said...

Beautiful masculine card!!!