Family Update

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It doesn't seem that long since I wrote a Family Update post, but things happen fast, especially this time of year.  So, let's backtrack a little to Thanksgiving day.  We made the trek to my parents' house to celebrate with them and my sisters and brother and their families.  Besides a delicious dinner, made even more festive by these cute, little, pumpkin treat packages/name cards, created by my big kiddos and I with the help of a Silhouette cut file...
the cousins played outside on the tractor or in the basement with their video games.
Adina was told that she couldn't play video games.  I guess they thought she was too little to understand.  So, she played with Grandpa and Grandma's new kitty.
So did Kaden.
And the adults spent much of the day thumbing through advertisements and claiming Black Friday deals on their smart phones.  Have I mentioned how much I hate Black Friday?
We left Ezekiel there for a few days.  He needed to finish his library research report and had quit listening to anything I had to impart to him long ago.  By the way, I so appreciate each and every one of you who left me a little advice/encouragement on my last Family Update post.  Thank you!  It sounds as though all my woes are nothing new to the preteen boy years and that I'll survive, just like you all, one day at time.  Anyway, Grandma offered to help him, and I didn't hesitate to take her up on the offer.  We needed a little peace and quiet, at our house, over break.  So, we picked out our Christmas tree without him...
and had it all set up and ready to decorate when he got home Sunday night.  The photos below show each of my kiddos with their new ornaments.  Kaden has two.  I like to give them a photo ornament, in addition to a regular one, for their first Christmas.
It was so fun to watch Kaden amidst all the excitement.  He loved the lights and our little, Christmas, Thomas train.
It's battery powered.  So, it runs around the track singing Jingle Bells; and he just sits and stares.  That is, when he's not trying to snatch it up as it goes by.  Tee hee!
I couldn't resist sharing this sweet, little face.  Gosh, I just want to bottle it up and save it for the day he goes off to college or moves into his own place.  I'm tearing up just thinking about it.  Why can't they stay this little forever?
Oh!  And look who's standing all the time now.  He even lets go and tries to take a step forward.
He's ten-months-old now.  He sleeps twelve hours through the night and still takes two nearly two-hour, morning and afternoon naps.  He nurses four times a day at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and just before bed.  He isn't picky about any new food we put in his mouth.  Matter of fact, that's so true that I couldn't even tell you his favorites.  Although, he is a big fan of Cheerios and Mama's Andes Mint cookies.  He still hasn't developed a love for his stroller and always wants to be held; but he's just a little guy, so I tote him around in our Boba Wrap, which he couldn't love any more.  I cannot remember what life was like without him.  He fits in with our family so well, and my big kiddos think he's the best.  We all do.
Then, this past weekend, my biggest kiddo had his Christmas homeschool band concert.  I was so proud to see him accomplishing so much even amidst all his anger, and he was so excited to get to share all that he's learned this semester.  I took him to get his hair cut that morning, and I swore, just for a second, that I saw my little brother sitting in that chair.  I remember watching him go through those changes from little boy into teenager and then adult, and even though I cried my eyes out at his wedding, it all seemed so natural and not nearly as sudden as it does with Ezekiel.  Sigh.
Anyway, I had to share this sweet pic of his teacher singing his praises.  Gosh, I love her so!  She's so good with the kids and always has the perfect dose of encouragement and challenge.  And do you see what's tucked under her arm?  It's a jar of our homemade apple butter.  She loves it to bits.  Yay!
And here's one of all my kiddos just because that tree was so festive.
And another with some of Ezekiel's cousins who came, with Grandpa and Grandma and his aunts and uncle, to cheer him on.
Well, that does it from here.  I've got a Christmas edition of my monthly For the Love of Books post coming your way tomorrow and a page to round out the week.  I know it's been a bit quiet around here.  Bear with me.  I'm torn between wanting to meet you all right here every single day of the week and not wanting to miss a second of watching my kiddos grow up.  I'd never forgive myself if I chose the former over the latter.  I don't have to tell you all that there's a lot of responsibility and time, beyond a single post, that comes with blogging.  That is some of the reason that I'm not on Facebook and Pinterest and Instagram and Twitter and whatever new trend it may be, too.  So, I hope you can forgive me during my absences and celebrate with me when time allows me to stop in.  You all truly mean the world to me.  I wouldn't crave coming here if it weren't so, but I have to find the perfect balance of family and fun, and sometimes that means getting a good night's sleep instead of posting my latest creative venture.  Thanks so much for checking in on us!  XOXO

11 comments:

Annette Allen said...

yay for Christmas Tree.. great update Jinny... always nice to see your adorable family

Miriam Prantner said...

Such great photos! Kaden is so big!!!! The time just flies!!!

Charlene said...

So cute!, Love your updates and those little pumpkins that the kids made are so cute!!! Kaden is getting so big :-)

Lisa said...

Love your family updates Jinny and you are so RIGHT in picking them over blogging! Sweet sweet photos, I can't believe how fast they are growing!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all the photos!! His haircut looks AMAZING on him!!!!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Love the pics of each of the kids with their ornaments!! And the one of all of them together is so cute!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Jinny I always love Family Update--I can't get over how big Kaden is getting. What a beautiful boy! I am 100% with you and finding balance, something I am still working on. xoxo

Ros Crawford said...

Oh what lovely photos ... I can't believe how grown up Ezekiel looks and Kaden is a darling ... Gotta love that kitty too ... Did you make Adina's dress? She looks like a princess!

Lynn said...

I am so late commenting, but I can't get over how grown up Ezekiel looks with his fresh haircut. The baby face is going away. So precious. I realize the adolescent years can be challenging...remember to try and get some time to yourself too to help refresh yourself for those days that are more challenging. xoxo

Tracy said...

I'd say your attitude is spot on Jinny. I honestly don't know how any crafter with small children finds time for their hobby much less blogging. Just know we love seeing what you have to share whenever you are able to. Hugs!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Wonderful family pictures Jinny. Love the way your kids have love in their eyes. :) Sweet little pumpkin!