The Studio Childhood Memories Challenge

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Happy Sunday, friends!  I know it's been a bit quiet around here.  I've just been enjoying all that the holiday season has to bring with my family, but I'm here now to share my take on The Studio's Childhood Memories Challenge.  The idea is to scrap a childhood photo with a story behind it.  Well, I have only a small handful of childhood photos of myself at my disposal, and believe it or not, they've already found their way into an album.  So, I thought it might be fun to tell a story from my childhood on a page with pics of my own cuties.  It's all about a childhood tradition that I'm so thrilled to get to share with my own kiddos today.  I've had that Echo Park bokeh paper for months.  Every time I picked it up I saw Christmas and am so excited to finally have gotten to use it.
I started this page by anchoring a number of color-coordinating, patterned, paper strips, some of which were hand-cut in the shape of banners, with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches and matting my photos with Whisper White cardstock.
In amidst the strips, I tucked a couple of circle-punched, navy, star, patterned, paper bits, as well as a journaling card, which was hand-cut from White cardstock; stamped, in Melon Mambo ink, with the notebook lines; and dressed up with a Melon Mambo, cardstock circle, punched with a hole punch and laced with white string, tied in a bow.
My journaling reads, One of my favorite family traditions began when I was just a little girl.  My Mom and Dad always picked out a special ornament for my siblings and I to decorate our Christmas tree.  Sometimes they revealed something special about our lives like the time I got a mouse holding a baseball glove when I really fell in love with the game, but they always made Mom and Dad think of each of us.  Then, when I left home, I already had lots of ornaments to decorate my own tree, and they still make me smile.  It was such a happy tradition that I'm thrilled to carry on with my own kiddos.
I then grounded my photo grid with a gold, "HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE", banner title, which was flanked with a number of stamped, in Old Olive, Baked Brown Sugar, and Wild Wasabi inks, White, cardstock die cuts, as well as stamped, in Jet Black ink, on White cardstock; colored with pencils; hand-cut; and glittered, berry branches.  They all were backed with a little shadow stamping in Jet Black ink and used to hang stamped, in Jet Black ink, ornament strings.  The ornaments themselves were gold-embossed on vellum and hand-cut out.
A secondary photo grouping overhangs the bottom edge of the page and was embellished with a gold, "THE BEST!" burst, flanked by a couple of stamped, in Garden Green ink, on White, cardstock die-cuts, holly leaves, and a "fun ahead" phrase bit.
A gold button, laced with white string, and stamped, in Jet Black ink, "you light up my life" and "Christmas bells are ringing!" phrases complete the look.
Further inspiration for this page came from PageDrafts' Sketch #37.3.  I wanted as much of the background to show as possible, so I left off the matching strips across the bottom, but I think it still works well.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see what the rest of the team has whipped up, as well as to get all of your challenge details.  Can't wait to see what you all cook up!  Thanks for visiting, and have a blessed Sunday!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Silver Bells, Heartfelt Holiday, Merry & Bright, & Classic Christmas (Wplus9); Vintage Notepad, Shine On, Christmas Bells, & Ornaments (Market Street Stamps); date (Dear Lizzy) Paper: White (Wplus9); Whisper White & Melon Mambo (SU!); bokeh (Echo Park); bright pink polka dot & green music (Jenni Bowlin); aqua designer & gold polka dot (Crate Paper); navy star (Pebbles Inc.); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Melon Mambo, Garden Green, Old Olive, Wild Wasabi, & Baked Brown Sugar (SU!); Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Silver Bells, Merry & Bright, Under the Mistletoe, & Lacey Layers dies (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); 1-3/8" Circle punch & Dazzling Diamonds (SU!); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); hole punch (office supply store); white string (Hobby Lobby); gold button, "THE BEST!" burst, & "HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE" banner (MME); gold embossing powder (Ranger); "fun ahead" phrase bit (Chic Tags); colored pencils (Prismacolor); mineral spirits (Inky Antics)

13 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

A beautiful page and such a lovely tradition! Have a happy sunday!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is beautiful! I love love love the colors, the photos and those bells!!!!

Lynn said...

I love hearing about your family traditions Jinny. What a gorgeous layout!

Maria said...

Beautiful layout! Love the colors and the wonderful photos! And, how awesome to carry on a fun tradition with your own children!:-)

Lisa said...

My favorite part of this (other than the cute photos!) is the pretty banner surrounded by sweetness and jingle bells! I did this tradition with our Joe!! When he got married they had many ornaments to start out with. His wife loved the idea and wants to do it with their kids! It's fun to look back at them and remember what they represented. I did however, keep his first Christmas ornament, it's VERY dear to me!

Missy Whidden said...

Another beautiful page, Jinny! That background paper is one of my favorites :) I love the dangling ornaments and the clusters of leaves...gorgeous!

Tracy said...

I think this was a wonderful way to cover both you and your kids Christmas tradition. Love the bokeh background and of course all your bits and pieces. Hugs!

Miriam Prantner said...

What a wonderful layout! Loving all the stamps and die cuts pieces that you included and love all that journaling!

Ashley Horton said...

So cute Jinny!! I love the look of the Bokeh paper for your background!!

♥ Lynn said...

So creative and absolutely beautiful! I always get inspired when I visit your blog!

Leslie Germain said...

Gorgeous page and love how you shared your tradition/memory through pictures of your kids!!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a great layout Jinny!
I love the background you chose!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Such a sweet page. Love the fun coors.