For the Love of Books

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hey, y'all!  It's Wednesday!  Woohoo!  Oh, no, it's Wednesday.  Aaaah!  I'm super excited to be halfway to the weekend, as it's always so much easier to set school aside for a bit and bring back the calm spirit my big kiddo so infrequently wears these days.  But I'm so not prepared for all the busyness, from basketball games and a birthday party to church activities and the like, this particular weekend will bring.  It'll be here soon enough, whether I'm prepared for it or not, so I'd better take a deep breath and just dive in.  I've got another fabulous book pick, for you all, this month.  It is illustrated by Julie Vivas and written, for children ages four to eight, by Mem Fox.  Surprise!  Surprise!  You really can't go wrong when it comes to this gal, folks.
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge lived by a retirement home, and from "Mrs. Jordan who played the organ" to "Mr. Drysdale who had a voice like a giant," he knew everyone that lived there.  But his favorite friend was Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper, because she had four names just like him.  When he overhears his parents discussing how she lost her memory, he wants to know more.  He calls on his special friends from next door to answer the question, "What's a memory?"; creates a box filled with a personal collection of items that address every one of their answers; and inadvertently, helps Miss Nancy remember.

This precious story is a bit of a tear-jerker, especially for those of us who know, or have known, someone who has lost their memory, but it is a winner in my book.  And its stunning, watercolor illustrations have a way of making one linger just a little while longer.  Thanks so much for reading!  Enjoy the rest of your week, friends!

3 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

This one looks wonderful! I am going to have to get it!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh I am going to have to check this out!!!

Lina Delgado said...

Hello, my 8 year old daughter brought this book home from the school library here in Cali, Colombia. We read it together and I loved it! The story Is sooo beautiful and touching! Great book to read with the whole family!