Stuck?! January 1st Sketch

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year, friends!  Just popping in with my take on Stuck?! Sketches' first sketch of the year to start things off right.  Enjoy!
I started this page by smudging Pink Bubblegum and Leap Frog Glimmer Mists onto the textured, white, cardstock, base page.  I then rubbed it, through a star stencil, with Faded Jeans Distress Ink.  Those stars later received a healthy dose of glitter.  A little modeling paste gives dimension to a doily stencil and preps the page for colorful papers, some of which were cut in the form of pennants and most of which were anchored with navy-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  My photos, which were matted with Whisper White cardstock and wrapped together with a length of white string, create a pocket for my journaling cards, which read, Every week that goes by it gets harder and harder to say goodbye.  It's been especially hard on our little pumpkin.  She cries a lot, which makes it extra hard on me.  I had a few Christmas errands to run on Sat. am, and she didn't want to let me go.  She just cuddled and cried in her Daddy's arms for the longest time.  Then, when we were all sitting down to dinner together again and after we held hands and prayed, she just kept hugging my arm and then her Daddy's arm and back and forth again.  We're all beyond ready to be back together again... Recorded December 24, 2013.  - Me.
I then dressed up the string, which was tied, in a bow, near the bottom right of the joined photos, with a globe die cut, topped with a chipboard heart, which I coated with Titanium White acrylic paint, ink distressed, and glittered, as well as a wire, jar trinket.
The opposite corner was simply embellished with an "I'D TURN BACK IF I WERE YOU" arrow sticker.
I then grounded the whole look with an arrow die cut and "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." - Winnie the Pooh label, as well as a stamped, in Jet Black ink, "---TODAY IS--- DEC 22 2013, date.
A group of word bubbles, all die-cut from patterned paper scraps and stamped, in Jet Black ink, with their respective sentiments, top the design.
The right edge of my page was outfitted with a strip of pink, number, patterned paper, trimmed with bits of Washi and anchored with more navy-threaded, straight and zig-zag, machine stitches.  Hand-cut, patterned, paper pennants; a number of phrase bits; and "twenty THIRTEEN" flair, embellished with a leaf die cut, as well as a trio of both turquoise, foil hearts and wood veneer buttons, laced with white string, complete the look.
Our sponsors for this sketch, with two large pieces of chipboard and a $30 gift certificate respectively, are...
and here's your yummy January 1st Sketch to get you started.
Thanks so much for humoring me with a visit!  Please be sure to stop by the challenge link above to get all your challenge details, as well as to view all the fabulous pages the rest of Design Team has created just for your viewing pleasure.  Have an amazing 2015, friends!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Faith in You, Growth, & Foodie Doodles (Market Street Stamps); date (Dear Lizzy) Paper: textured white (Bazzill); Whisper White (SU!); green music, perforated, & large & small bright pink polka dot (Jenni Bowlin); green polka dot, pink heart, & pink number (Elle's Studio); navy star (Pebbles, Inc.); aqua polka dot (MME); blue plaid (American Crafts) Ink: Tea Dye, Antique Linen, Pumice Stone, Faded Jeans, & Jet Black (Ranger) Other: navy thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Conversation Bubbles die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); foil hearts, veneer buttons, & star stencil (Jenni Bowlin); doily stencil (Prima); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); white string (Hobby Lobby); modeling paste (Liquitex); Pink Bubblegum & Leap Frog Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels); Dazzling Diamonds (SU!); "twenty THIRTEEN" flair (Bossy Joscie); navy leaf & arrow die cuts (Basic Grey); wire jar trinket (Maya Road); Titanium White acrylic paint (Folkart); pink label (Elle's Studio); "REMEMBER" sticker (K&Company); "A DAY IN OUR LIFE" sticker (Simple Stories); globe (Pink Paislee); "you fill my heart" sticker (hazel & ruby); journaling cards (American Crafts); Washi (Paper Studio)

15 comments:

Lynn said...

A beautiful layout to document a tough time as a family. Your love for one another shines through on your wonderful layout Jinny. Happy new year!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! I love love love the colors, the photos and that precious journaling!!!!!!!

Missy Whidden said...

This is stunning, Jinny...I just love all the beautiful background work. And your stitching is so detailed and perfect! I get going to fast when I do it and it usually winds up pretty crooked...haha! I love your mix of papers and how they really compliment the photos. You have such a knack for bringing out the best in your pictures and making them pop right off the page!

Sanna Lippert said...

this is just stunning, Jinny!!! I love the story too! such beautiful design and the quote from Vinnie Pooh made me smile!! wishing you a happy new year!!!

Jennifer said...

Absolutely gorgeous Jinny! Love your pages, you capture the moment so well, even if it was a sad moment, and make it so beautiful. Hope you're all doing well!

Leslie Germain said...

Adorable layout!! Happy New Year, Jinny!!!

Tracy said...

Layer upon layer of goodness my friend. Even some fun embossing paste. Playing with a bit of that right now myself. :-) Looking forward to sharing 2015 with you. Hugs!

Ashley Horton said...

Such an awesome page Jinny! I love the mist in the background, with the fun layers of patterned paper and photos!!

Laura said...

Gorgeous page, love the attention to detail and your knack for story telling!

Ros Crawford said...

Happy New Year!! I love your page albeit that it brought a lump to my throat ... I love that you put in that quote from "winnie the pooh" ... My you have a wonderful year and I truly pray that soon you won't have to say goodbye ...

Kat said...

beautiful layout, jinny!! love all the fun elements you have included!!

Lisa said...

A Happy New Year to the Newlins!! This is a wonderful page, so full of love. I'm so happy those tough times are behind you and hope they never cross your path again!

Larissa Heskett said...

LOVE this layout!! =)

Maria said...

Gorgeous heartfelt layout with photos that speak lots of love!!! Wonderful job, Jinny, love it!!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, how wonderful. Love the photos... great journaling. Almost made me cry. Wishing you and your sweet family lots of together time this year!