The Studio Cleaning Up Challenge

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Hey, y'all!  I hope the weekend is treating you well.  My big kiddos had more basketball games yesterday morning, and we had a neighborhood celebration to send off our next-door neighbors last night.  Today will be slightly less eventful, but while I'm snoozing, I've got another challenge from The Studio for you all.  This one is all about cleaning up and clearing out.  What's on your desk?  Are there photos, papers, or bits and pieces that have sat there for ages just waiting to be scrapped, but you never seem to get around to using them?  Now is the time to use them up and clear your desk!

This challenge was a bit of a toughie for me, because I'm always clearing my desk.  I have had my final December Jenni Bowlin Papercrafting Kit, which was filled with lots of pretty papers from Elle's Studio, sitting on my desk for a few weeks, though.  So, that is where I found inspiration for today's page.  I also used up a few seasonal goodies that have been lingering around my workspace since last Christmas in combination with some things that just arrived.
I started this page by stamping that fabulous, woodgrain, patterned paper (I knew, just as soon as I saw it, that it had to be the backdrop for tree picking pics.  Love it!), in Old Olive ink, with evergreen branches and anchoring some of those yummy papers, which include a bit of torn filter paper and gold, polka dot vellum, with red-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  I then matted my photos with Whisper White cardstock, folded a chevron envelope over the top right edge of the far right one, and secured it with staples.  A stamped, in Jet Black ink, "I'm dreaming of a bright Christmas" helps frame that same photo.
I then stitched a festive transparency to the front of a library pocket and turned the card, stuffed in it, into a tag by using Wplus9's Lacey Layers die to die cut a little, kraft sticker, applying it in its respective location, punching it through with a simple hole punch, and lacing it with a bit of Baker's Twine.
It was stamped, in Jet Black ink, with the "celebrating NOV 28 2014" date and used to journal,  We just love to kick-start the Christmas season with a trip to pick out our tree.  This year's tree came from Home Depot & stayed fresh & beautiful all Dec. long.  Ezekiel was visiting G-pa & ma, so we strung it with lights & waited until he got home to add our ornaments.
The whole look was then grounded with a "BE JOYFUL," dimensional, sticker banner; "happy merry everything," transparency die cut; and a bit of festive flair, embellished with a stamped, in Jet Black ink, on White cardstock, colored with pencils, hand-cut, and glittered holly branch.
A little more stamping...
foam, heart sticker; and trio of Cameo-cut, Whisper White, cardstock snowflakes, which I also covered with a healthy dose of glitter, complete the look.  Laura Whitaker designed and is offering up that Snowflakes 4 cut file for free.  Just click on the link and download.  Yay!
Further inspiration for this page came from Sassy Scrapper's January Mood Board.  I was inspired by the word "SHINE" itself, as well as the woodgrain and floral letters.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see what the rest of the team has whipped up, as well as to get all of your challenge details.  You have until February 1, 2015, to link up your pages in the right-hand column of The Studio Blog.  Thanks for visiting, and have a fantastic week, folks!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: "LOVE you MORE", "LET your LIGHT SHINE", & "LOVE IT" ( Heidi Swapp); Ornaments, Country Christmas, & Shine On (Market Street Stamps); date (Dear Lizzy) Paper: Whisper White, filter paper, & gold polka dot vellum (SU!); White (Wplus9); gold polka dot & red floral (MME); candy cane stripe, red Christmas phrases, woodgrain, & green trees (Elle's Studio) Ink: Old Olive (SU!); Jet Black (Ranger); Jet Black (StazOn) Other: red thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Snowflakes 4 cut file (Laura Whitaker); Cameo (Silhouette); Dazzling Diamonds (SU!); foam heart (unknown); library pocket (American Crafts); tree transparency (Simple Stories); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); dimensional banner & vellum die cut (Studio Calico); flair button (A Flair for Buttons); colored pencils (Prismacolor); mineral spirits (Inky Antics); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); stapes & stapler (office supply store); chevron envelope (Whisker Graphics); Lacey Layers die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix)

17 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I'm like you ... I clean up after every project! LOL!! I am a neat freak ... can't stand things out!! LOL!! I love love love your lo! LOVING the wood paper and the photos!!!!

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Wonderful layout Jinny! Love everything about it!

Tracey McNeely said...

Jinny I love this layout and the sweet photos, your tree is amazing!

Miriam Prantner said...

That patterned paper is perfect for the page base and I love how you tucked the little bag around and stapled it. What a great mix of embellishments and details!

Leslie Germain said...

Absolutely gorgeous page!! LOVE that background paper!! WOW!! Pinning!!

Linda R said...

Sounds like a great challenge. LOVE your page here. Well Done.

Hugs~

Maria said...

A beautiful layout highlighting your family and Christmas tree, Jinny! Love all the detail!:-)

Annette Allen said...

beautiful Christmas layout.. love all those layers of goodies you used.. so perfectly blended.. love it

Ashley Horton said...

Amazing layout Jinny! I really love the look of the wood grain paper for your background!

Ros Crawford said...

Lovely page Jinny ... I have several boxes that I drop left over bits into and I use them up as I go ... Well that's the plan, sometimes the pile gets bigger ... I too clean up after each project.

Kara Lynne said...

What a wonderful page! I love that background paper, it's perfect for your pictures. All of your details, as usual, are perfectly placed!

Charlene said...

Seriously awesome Jinny!!

~Tammy~ said...

Beautiful layout! Really like the papers! Basketball is new for us this year! Never played so he's a bit behind the learning curve since his focus has always been baseball! It's for fun, but the others take it quite seriously which is not what I expected at this level! Eek!

Tracy said...

Eeep! So fun! I love the bag stapled over the edge of the photo. Too cute! Always something to delight the imagination here. Hugs!

Lisa said...

So pretty Jinny! I like the woodgrain background. The tree rings there mimic your family tree outing beautifully!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fantastic lay-out Jinny. Love the wood-grain background, the stitched banner pieces, the pretty vellum... so many amazing elements put together to perfection.

Chantalle said...

A seriously beautiful page. Glad our moodboard was able to inspire you!