Family Update

Friday, February 20, 2015

Happy Friday, friends!  I've been playing a little catchup around my house this week.  Sometimes the cleaning and organization gets put to the side when I'm spending a lot of time in my creative space, prepping for a series of projects on top of not feeling well, which explains the need for a little catching up.  I've also finally emptied the last box of personal décor that I packed in preparation for our move to South Dakota.  It included a number of black and white photos of my family that now graces our staircase.  When I showed my hubby what I had done, while he was at work, he said, "Now it feels like home."  He's been talking about a move for a long time, but ultimately, we're being smart and staying put.  Our goal is to get his student loans paid off, as well as a little remodeling, before we try to put our home on the market again.  Honestly, I'd be just fine staying put.  I don't need anything big, and I love our home; but I also believe that the Lord has future plans for us, plans that would require a move.

So, anyway, it felt so good to get those things accomplished this week, but that also means that I didn't have a lot of time to get creative.  I will have a little, Valentine project that Adina made for her friends, to share with you all, tomorrow.  Until then, I have a few pictures to share, beginning with these of my big kiddo and his teammates taking first place in Awana Quiz, in Liberty, Missouri, a couple of weekends back.  Quiz tests the kids on material and scriptures in their handbooks and manuals and provides individual recognition and rewards.
This was his first time competing with this church.  We moved to a new location for his last year of Awana and Adina's second simply because, as a homeschool family, we're trying to be intentional about our interactions outside of home being ones that foster friendships and opportunities to serve.  Unfortunately, that goal was no longer being met at our previous club; and this club offered a much larger group of kids, as well as a healthy homeschool community within the church itself.
Last month, Ezekiel was asked to creatively and personally define a number of nouns, including sadness.  He wrote, "Sadness is when your best friend moves across the world."  Y'all, my heart broke.  The one young man that he always seemed to connect and have a lot in common with moved to Jordan with his family, to work and share the love of Jesus there, four years ago.  It's been since then that he's been in need of a good friend.  You'd think those shoes would be filled in a church the size of the one we attend and have been attending since he was four-years-old, but he's a complicated kid.  While emotionally and physically he is an eleven-year-old, he is advanced beyond his years mentally and spiritually.  I'm so fortunate that he actually likes to listen to the sermons in youth group, but that doesn't exactly make him popular or relatable in our day and age.

Anyway, I'm just trying to do the best job I can to help him survive adolescence by giving him opportunities to meet like-minded friends and keeping my eyes and ears open for whatever he may need.  Gosh, I love him so.  I don't think he has any idea how much.  He always thinks we're against him and trying to make his life more difficult.  I know some of that is simply because he doesn't see that other kids are doing many of the same educational assignments that he is due to homeschooling and thinks that nobody else has to wash the dishes or pick up their room.  I mean, no other kid in the world has computer regulations.  Right ;)?  I hope you can sense my sarcasm.  He's completely irrational, and I know some of that is also just his age; but, well, if he only knew.  Sigh.

Okay, enough of that.  On a happier note, he's still loving homeschool band and playing basketball.  This, too, is his last year to play with Upward.  Why do all these activities leave kids high and dry come middle school?!  It's fine.  There are lots more places to play ball.  It would just be nice not to have to keep moving around all the time.  Remember what I said earlier about fostering friendships and opportunities to serve?  This constant switching teams makes such extremely difficult as well, but we definitely still feel like the new kids in town at this particular school, too.  So, maybe it's not so much of a loss.  He gets to play baseball with the same group of kids as last year this summer, though, and he's really looking forward to that.  Although, while most of the kids are the same age as he is, he's a year ahead in school.  So, potentially, this will be his last summer with this group, too.  Gracious!  Poor kid!
What just happened?  That was supposed to be a happier paragraph.  Let's just keep trying.  Oh, how about some pics of my daughter socializing during her basketball game?  She and her designated opponent are the only ones not moving in the photos below.  LOL!
We had a wonderful Valentine's Day!  My kiddos each got chocolate and a book.  What better way to celebrate?!  We also made and decorated lots of delicious, sugar cookies.  So good!  We ended up staying in for dinner.  My hubby grilled, and I didn't have to do a thing.  It wasn't planned, but it worked for me.  Maybe my subconscious had it all figured out when I was doing the meal planning and just didn't let my conscious in on the arrangement.
Finally, I just had to share this last series of pics.  My littlest had his first time out this week.  He is flying up the stairs, and while he can come down, he doesn't do it as gracefully.  He seems to have good depth perception, but his pediatrician insists on the contrary based upon his age.  Anyway, he's been scaring me to death on the stairs.  He hasn't fallen, but I also don't want him to.  So, he's learning to obey and only climb up when someone is going with him.  He wasn't a fan of the time out for not following this rule.  He tried to get out initially but quickly learned he was to stay put until mommy came to get him.  He had five time outs, for climbing up, this first day, two the second, and is working on not a single one today.  Yay!  He'll get it.
That covers a few of the things that have been keeping us running.  We've got two Saturdays worth of basketball games left in the season, and we're all ready to no longer have to make 8:30 am tracks in the snow to get there.  Both of my kiddos have also been prepping for the Awana Games competition since practice for Quiz ended, which makes for long Sundays as well.  It's all good stuff, but the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer are calling this tired momma's name.  I can't wait for the grass to be green and the doors and windows to be open and my gardens to be blooming.  Matter of fact, we're taking a little trip to pick up veggie seeds this afternoon.  It's time to start some of those indoor plantings.  Eeek!  Thanks for checking in on us!  Have a wonderful weekend, y'all!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for your update Jinny! Poor little Kaden in his time out chair is just too cute with his mission shoe! Have a great weekend ;)

Kara Lynne said...

Oh Jinny, I hear the need for true friendships for our children! Our oldest daughter, Elle, is on the spectrum (very high functioning) and has now entered the teen years! Tough mix, and I know all she thinks is that we're out to get her. You are doing an amazing job! It is so encouraging to know that there are other moms out there being intentional in training their children.

Ashley Horton said...

I think I am going to go on an extended vacation when our kids start getting closer to the teenage years!! HA! And poor Kaden in his time out chair...he is still too cute even in time out drama!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Those time out chair photos are so cute!! I remember those days! LOL!! And sorry about the oldest ... I can totally relate -- Adam turned 18 yesterday and this past year he has been getting better, but he has ADHD, so he has ALWAYS struggled with friends -- never really having any and never being outgoing either didn't help! Hoping that all gets better for yours soon!!!

Leslie Germain said...

It's not always easy being a parent. I always say or think, that someday they will understand why we did or said the things we did. And we are huge on limiting computer time and chores are a must (although sometimes a struggle). LOVE the time out pictures. That little one is so stinking cute!! <3

Linda R said...

It was so nice catching up with whats going on. When I was a preschool teacher we weren't aloud to call it a time-out chair. It always made me laugh when I had to call it a Quite-time chair. They still never wanted to go. Your little guy is so cute. Hope you are having a happy weekend my friend.

Hugs, Linda
My Happy Place

Maria said...

Thank you for sharing the family update! Wow, how your precious ones are growing! Parenting is no easy task, but you sound like you are full of love and guidance for your children. My son is 27 and he has come a long way, but even at that age I see some things that he can improve on...lol!:-) But, we love our children and we do our best! You're doing a wonderful job, Jinny! Thank you for sharing the awesome update, hugs!:-)

Miriam Prantner said...

Great update! Poor little guy in his time out....

Ros Crawford said...

You make life sound normal ... Ok... So we live thousands of miles away and totally different lives but things are just the same no matter ... My son and I had words about a year ago - a brief moment when I was enraged at something that he did that as a mother I perceived as a danger to him ... he's 32 for heaven sake but he cried to think he had disappointed me ... It sure broke my heart to think that he thought he could ever disappoint me... I love him beyond words. Still like your son he's always been so advanced since a little
boy and not like everyone else ... He knows he's here for a purpose and he still hasn't figured out what it is ... We're are blessed Jinny ... No matter how hard it is and how much we want them to be comfortable they are special and for some reason they picked us to be their guidance ... You're doing a great job ... remember that!

Larissa Heskett said...

LOVE the Pictures!! CONGRATS on the Win!! SO EXCITING!! I struggled when I was 10 as I was diagnosed with having either Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease!! At the time they weren't forsure so I ended up spending 3 yrs. of my life at Children's Hospital!! Beings I come from a large family and it was a 5 hr. drive to Omaha from our Farm I spent most of the time alone!! I had a tutor so I could keep up with my studies and I had the other kids in the Long Term Wing that I could hang out with in the Game Center!! It was a REALLY hard time to go through!! When I got released I had a RELALY HARD time fitting back into School and even at home with my siblings!! It was like I was a WHOLE NEW person in a STRANGE Old world!! It took time, but I found my path and I found out WHO my TRUE Friends really were!! I think as Parents it is SO HARD to see our KIDS go through something and we question what way we need to handle it, but we just need to remember the our HEARTS are in the right place and we LOVE them NO MATTER what so just BREATH and KNOW that you are doing a GREAT Job and he is AMAMZING!! We ALL GROW and LEARN in different ways and I don't think you have anything to worry about!! LOVE the Time out Pictures!! TO SWEET!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK SWEET Jinny!! =)

Kimberly Kett said...

You have a beautiful family inside and out! Thanks gor sharing and I hope you have a FABULOUS week as well!