For the Love of Books

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Morning, friends!  Just popping in with my monthly For the Love of Books post, but before I get to that, I wanted to say thank you for all your get well wishes and prayers for our littlest.  His fever ended up being more than just his teeth and kept him home with mommy for several days, but he has since recovered and is back to his usual, ornery self.  So, thank you!

I have a number of papercrafted projects coming soon, but sometimes I find it difficult to motivate myself to do more than is required when I don't necessarily have a specific assignment due or purpose for which a project is needed.  So, I apologize for the lack of creativity posted here lately.  There's been a lot going on behind the scenes, from planning our vegetable garden and a space for Kaden to grow into to measuring for a bed skirt and curtains and doing lots of art projects with my kiddos, not to mention all the baking, cleaning, teaching, and business that comes with my day to day.  I never lack for things to do.

Now, on to the reason for this post.  It is most likely that, if you're not familiar with the name of the author of this month's pick, Patricia Polacco, you'll recognize her gorgeous pencil and paint illustrations a mile away.  She has been writing inspirational stories for over three decades and creating beautifully detailed works of art for most of her life.  The story I have chosen to share, with you all, today, which is written for children ages four to eight, is a perfect, pictorial example of the sweetness that comes from the pursuit of knowledge and adventure.
The Bee Tree is the story of a glorious excursion Mary Ellen and her Grandpa take, across the Michigan countryside, in pursuit of a bee tree.  It all began when Mary Ellen stated, "I'm tired of reading, Grandpa.  I'd rather be outdoors running and playing."  So, off they went to gather a few bees from the garden.  The first bee was released, and together they were on its tracks.  One by one, throughout their journey, they were joined by neighbors, acquaintances, old friends and new, all chasing after the bee.  When they lost sight of one bee, Grandpa would release another until they reached Dunks Woods and spotted their treasure.  There they built a smoke fire to quiet the bees and carefully collected bits of honeycomb in Baby Sylvester's spare diapers.  Once back at home, while everyone enjoyed music, dancing, laughter, and fresh honey on biscuits, Grandpa invited Mary Ellen to taste a spoonful of honey he dabbed onto the cover of one of her books.  As she did so, he said, "There is such sweetness inside of that book too!  Such things... adventure, knowledge and wisdom.  But these things do not come easily.  You have to pursue them.  Just like we ran after the bees to find their tree, so you must also chase these things through the pages of a book!"

What a priceless lesson.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be sure to enjoy a good book, with someone you love, today!  Hugs!

4 comments:

Leslie Germain said...

Love Patricia Polacco!! My fave of hers is Thank you, Mr. Faulker!!! I never heard of this book (I don't think) Need to check it out. Sorry to hear that your little guy was sick. Glad he is feeling better!

Charlene said...

Looks like a fun book for the Grandkids! Thanks for sharing! And I'm so glad Kaden is O.K. :-)

Lisa said...

I'll have to tell my daughter-in-law about this one, sounds cute! Happy to hear your little bear is well ;)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh I will have to check this book out!! And glad he is feeling better!!!!!