Casas por Cristo

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Morning, friends!  I promised pics of BJ and Ezekiel's mission trip to Juarez, Mexico last week and have a few to share today.  This was my hubby's fourth trip (Click here and here for posts depicting previous trips.) with an organization known as Casas por Cristo, but it was Ezekiel's first.  Ezekiel was the youngest, by three years, of a group of eighteen individuals.  Here are my boys just before loading in the vans and heading out.
It was their job to build a $5,000, two-room home for a family in need.  The home itself, as well as travel expenses and food, is divided up and paid for by each member of the team.  They began by leveling the ground and pouring a concrete foundation.
They then built and erected the walls which were insulated and wired for electricity, before everything was sealed in between sheetrock...
and black board, which was covered in chicken wire for stucco.  Ezekiel caught onto the stucco super fast.  It was his favorite part of the build...
and took place while the roof was going up.
Love these pics of everyone taking breaks with local snacks.
And here's my kiddo helping to nail the Casas plaque onto one side of the finished roof.  My hubby said that he was so easy to be proud of last week.  When he saw something that needed to be done, he didn't wait to be asked to do it; and when he completed all his tasks, he asked what he could do next.  Poor thing even lost his big toenail climbing a set of stairs after just one day on the job site, but he was up first thing the next morning, with shoes on and everything, ready for another day of work.  I wish I'd had more than one day to soak up all his excitement, before he was off to camp this week.  He was even already talking about "next year", and after all the praise many of the adults on the trip gave him, my hubby, and myself upon their return, I know that he will be more than welcome.
Within three days, this new building...
became home to a beautiful family of five.
I love this photo of the father smiling at his new ceiling fan.  Such sweetness!  And I made and sent those curtains in the background along with my hubby.  Eeek!
I actually made a set for each of the two windows, but with the way the light and wind was coming in the windows, the photos my hubby took just didn't do them justice.  Here's a pic of the fabrics just after I finished both sets.
Mission work holds a big part of my and my hubby's hearts, and I cannot tell you how much it means to me to see my big kiddo developing that love in his own.  What a dream it would be to be debt free and able to commit to doing such work on more of a full-time basis.  One day... Lord willing.  If you'd like to donate to this organization, please click here; and if you'd like to know how you can get involved on a deeper level, please click here.  ...Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me (Matthew 25:40).  Thanks so much for reading!  Be blessed!

13 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

This post made my heart sooooooooo HAPPY!! LOVE!!

Charlene said...

This is fabulous Jinny! What a special thing to do and very gratifying. My daughter went a few years back and it was so special to her :-) The curtains are beautiful!!!!

Ashley Horton said...

It's awesome they were able to both go! And this is such a great mission!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This post made my heart so happy!! LOVING all the photos and Ezekiel looks so happy and proud!!! Great job to your boys!!!!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Jinny how incredible!!! yYu must be one proud mama and wife. They are doing so much good and your son is gaining such a wonderful experience. Melts my heart. P.S. we finally did it bought and sold.

Ros Crawford said...

What a wonderful thing ... It's so heartwarming to see this post along with your two lovely guys ... Those curtains are fabulous too! Well done to you al!

Georgiana said...

Wow! I feel we who are able to help should. What a great story being told thru your pictures too. The smiles say it all!

Maria said...

How wonderful, Jinny! What a fabulous experience for your son and husband to go together! Two of my nieces went a couple years ago. Your curtains are so beautiful with lovely colors and print! I love viewing all the awesome photos...thank you for sharing!:-)

alexandra s.m. said...

Your post warms my heart!
Bravo to you, your hubby and son ;)

Annette Allen said...

that is just SO AWESOME.. God is so good. thanks for sharing.

Miriam Prantner said...

So wonderful! Especially to see Ezekiel going! Andrew is headed back to Rwanda in a few weeks, and Ellie is already counting down the years until she is ready to go. And she asked the other day if when Carina is old enough to go we can all go. :)

Larissa Heskett said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOW! AMAZING!! I LOVE that they got to do this together and that he is already willing to GIVE of his TIME/SELF for Next Time!! =) What an AMAZING Adventure and in MORE than one way!! LOVE the Curtains that you made too, I'm sure they will be ENJOYED!! =) THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)

Heather Landry said...

This definitely made my heart happy! I absolutely loved seeing these pictures and reading about your family's dedication to others. Just beautiful!