Super Dad

Saturday, June 20, 2015

I'm so sorry for the silence around here lately.  My big boys (BJ and Ezekiel) have been on a mission trip, to Juarez, Mexico, all week.  They're on their way back now, and we'll be off picking them up before we know it.  Yay!  I know we'd all appreciate your prayers for safe travels for this final, exhausting length of their trip.  And if they bring me back some good pics, I'll be sure to post 'em here sometime next week.  Anyway, it's been a bit of a struggle finding time to get creative with it being just me and the littles.  We also had some special visitors for a couple of days earlier this week.  So, doing so just didn't take priority; but with Father's Day being just hours away, I thought it only fitting to use the latest palette from my newest DT home (well, in just a couple short weeks... Eeek!), just because it's irresistible, to create a card for my Dad.  Enjoy!
I started this card by watercoloring a wide strip of watercolor paper in shades of Elegant Eggplant, Old Olive, and Coastal Cabana inks.  I then stamped it, in Jet Black ink, with the word "DAD" and clear embossed all around that image with a repeated "YOU", before trimming its edges with a trio of color-coordinating, pattered papers; adhering it to the White, cardstock, card face; and anchoring it, with silver-threaded, straight stitches, down either of its vertical edges.
I then wrapped a length of black Baker's Twine just to the left of the purple, argyle, patterned, paper strip and tied it, in a bow, near the top edge of the card face.  The bottom left corner was stamped, in Jet Black ink, with "SUPER* AMAZING*SPECTACULAR"...
and a sprinkling of silver sequins and clear gemstones completes the look.
Inspiration for this card came from Colour Me...!'s Creative Challenge No. 76.
Thanks so much for stopping by!  And a big happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Super Star (Wplus9) Paper: watercolor (SU!); White (Wplus9); silver leaves (Amy Tangerine); purple argyle (Nikki Sivils); aqua floral (Pink Paislee) Ink: Coastal Cabana, Elegant Eggplant, & Old Olive (SU!); Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: silver thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); clear embossing powder (SU!); sequins (Hobby Lobby); clear gemstones (crafts-too); black Baker's Twine (AR Designs)

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the pretty watercolored background Jinny!! Your dad will enjoy this card. Safe travels for your guys, have a great weekend!

Kara Lynne said...

I will pray right now for your fellows... Okay, I'm back. Wonderful Father's Day card, Jinny! I love your blend of colors paired with your black and white details!

Georgiana said...

Your watercolor looks so awesome. I need to practice a little more or get some different colors, so they are more vibrant. Mine tend to blend a little and dull out each other. Going to give it another try!

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful! I love the clear embossing you added, what a great touch!

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!!!!!

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How exciting for them! Can't wait to hear about their trip!! LOVING the card!!! Gorgeous colors!!!!!!!

Ros Crawford said...

Love this card Jinny ... I love how you put colours together!

Annette Allen said...

yay for missions.. my SIL and BIL are leaving to Mexico next month for Kids Around the World to build a playground and spread the word.. like I said YAY for Missions.. God is awesome..

Can't wait to hear about the trip and see some pictures. I am sure you will have some awesome layouts to share.

This card is awesome..

Katie Ann Brooks said...

love this Jinny! I don't think I often associate this color combo with men, but it makes quite a striking father's day card! Well done and Thanks for joining us at Colour Me!

zedsquaredcrafts said...

Wow--what a stunning card!! I can't believe you did this one on a time crunch. With all the details, it looks like I would have taken ages!! Hope your boys are home safe and sound :) Julia

stampwithsandy said...

Jinny this is gorgeous! You've somehow managed to combine pastel colors and a floral pattern perfectly for a masculine card. Genius! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Colour Me, and I can't wait to see your projects on the DT!