Weekend Snapshots

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What a busy time of year it has been!  I don't see it letting up anytime soon, so we're trying to sneak in special, little moments, between scheduled activities and schoolwork, when we can.  For example, our Internet was down last Thursday, resulting in us not being able to access my kiddos' online classes.  So, we made an impromptu trip to the Kansas City Zoo to visit our old and new, furry friends in Africa.  A technician met my hubby at our house to get us back online late morning; but as it turns out, the problem was on their end, and we weren't even up and running again until dinner time.  I'm so glad we didn't hang around and wait.  Plus, last Wednesday was the end of our first nine weeks, so it really couldn't have happened at a better time academically.
This baby boy chimpanzee, named Milo, was born the end of March; but it was our first time meeting him, and he was just as cute as can be!
We were told this was only the third time this particular rhinoceros had been on exhibit.  Boy, was he skittish!
Every time I see this particular gorilla, he reminds me so much of a certain, sullen, family member, who shall remain nameless.  LOL!
And we were so blessed to meet Maskia, the first baby gorilla born at the Kansas City Zoo since 1975.  She didn't cooperate for a proper photo session, but it was so fun watching her wobble around.
We really only meant to spend the morning at the zoo and come home to rest in the afternoon, which would've also given me time to record grades and gather all the necessary paperwork that needed to be off in the mail as soon as possible, but we ended up spending nearly the entire day exploring.  My little guy passed out for a bit in the afternoon but woke in time to ride the carousel and see the penguins on our way out, not to mention to get a little ice-cream on the way home.
Then, bright and early Saturday morning, we dove into turning about 45 of the 65 pounds of apples we picked back here into 37 pints of apple butter.  The rest have been or will be turned into apple crisp/pie filling.  It's a family affair, and I had a lot of help, at least for the first hour (Tee hee!), with washing, peeling, measuring, and of course, eating.  The cooking and canning is pretty much my job.  If you would like to see a little photo parade of the entire process, check this post out; although, my new, smooth-top stove sure made cleanup a lot easier.
And before I run, look who lost another tooth.  She's been wiggling it for weeks and just decided yesterday was the day for it to come out.  It's so cute, too, that she talks with a bit of a lisp now.
I'll be back tomorrow with my take on Colour Me...!'s new, weekly palette.  Until then, I'll be rooting for our Royals.  Thanks so much for checking in on us, and have a truly terrific Tuesday!

6 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Well I sure hope the tooth fairy paid Adina a visit! Beautiful photos! TFS

Lisa said...

A great excuse to go to the zoo! We were just talking about the going to the zoo the other day. Penelope has a toy zoo and she now roars like a lion hehe, it's so cute!! Love the photo of little Milo. TFS the great pics Jinny!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all the photos! That little chimp and gorilla are adorable! And YOU know I LOVE your apple butter! YUM!!!!!!!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh my goodness! Your photos are wonderful. Your brought joy and laughter into all of our lives for a little bit this morning, Jinny! Thank you!!! HUGS!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great photos! Love the zoo shots and great job on all the apple butter!

Larissa Heskett said...

AMAZING Pictures!! =) LOVE LOVE LOVE them as usual and they ALWAYS bring a HUGE SMILE to my FACE!! =) YUMMY looks like your Apple Harvest was AWESOME this year and ALL that Apple Butter and Pie Filling will be put to GOOD use!! HUGS to ALL of you and I FEEL your PAIN with the Technical Problems!! Being in a Rural area we seem to have ISSUES WAY MORE than I LIKE!! =( I guess its a trade off we pay for by living in the BEAUTIFUL Country!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)