The Challenge #56

Monday, January 11, 2016

Hey, y'all!  I trust you all had a wonderful weekend!  Ours was super busy between basketball games and church activities, but I also found a little time to tackle a few more of the organization piles that I've created over the last couple of weeks.  I was a little overzealous in my desire to get organized and bit off a bit more than I could chew.  Piles of stuff, even when they're organized piles of stuff, creates a lot of stress for me.  So, I'm thrilled to be getting things sorted and put away or tossed!  Anyway, you didn't come here to hear about my weekend.  How about my take on a beautiful new palette over at The Challenge instead?  Enjoy!
I started this card by adding a layer of navy watercolor over a layer of teal watercolor on a piece of watercolor paper.  I then removed a little of the color with a baby wipe through a heart stencil.  If you've never seen this technique in action, you've got to check out Kristina Werner's post Valentine's Day Card - Hogs & Kisses.  It's so fun!  Before anchoring the watercolor piece, to a bit of teal cardstock, with a black-threaded, straight, machine-stitch, double frame, I secured a trio of hand-cut, patterned, paper pennants, one of which was stamped, in Jet Black ink, with the "i whale always LOVE YOU" sentiment, near the top center of the prepped piece.  I then wrapped it, under the pennants, with a length of Charcoal twine, tied, in a bow, just to the left of the pennants before adhering the prepped piece, with foam tape, to the Night of Navy, cardstock, card face.
The whale was black-embossed on a watercolor paper die cut; of course, watercolored; and secured, in its respective position, with foam tape.  A trio of die-cut, from Only Orange cardstock, and glittered, heart bubbles complete the look.
Further inspiration for this card came from Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: Something New (new technique AND stamp/die set... Yay!).  And here's your The Challenge #56 graphic to get you off and running in the right direction.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  You have until Sunday, January 17, 2016, at noon PST, to add your takes to the linky at that same challenge link above.  And don't forget to check out our fabulous The Challenge #55 Winners, too.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderful work week, friends!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Whale Hello (Avery Elle) Paper: Night of Navy & Only Orange (SU!); teal (Bazzill); watercolor (Canson Studio); navy star (Jenni Bowlin); orange heart (Avery Elle); teal stripe (Elle's Studio) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); Whale Hello die (Avery Elle); Big Shot (Sizzix); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); Dazzling Diamonds & black embossing powder (SU!); Charcoal twine (The Twinery); watercolors (Kuretake); heart stencil (Jenni Bowlin)

20 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Beautiful card and such a clever technique! I'll check that out! Thanks!

Lynn said...

Wow...I always stare at your stitching and wonder how in the world you stitch so perfectly, but really every last element is always perfect and today is no exception.

And I hear you on the organizing front...got all my scrapbooks put away yesterday after getting a lot of Project Life digital layouts done over the holidays. They had only been laying on the fireplace for a few weeks :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhh this is gorgeous! LOVING the colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia T said...

I had to come over from the Challenge to tell you how much I like your card! I love that background and the layering and the hearts! What a great card!

KimCreate said...

Oh my gosh, Jinny!!!! This card is gorgeous! You took those challenge colors and made a feast for the eyes! Not to mention how cute that whale is and the sentiment. TFS.

Charlene said...

Beautiful water coloring Jinny! Love the design of your card too! Happy Monday!

Annette Allen said...

love that watercolor background and how you did the hearts.. so clever and CUTE.

Notes by Nina said...

I don't know where to start, I love this layout and all the fun details. That sentiment is fabulous, love love your card.

Team Clark said...

What a super cool design, Jinny! The little whale is so perfect and you've layered this card just beautifully!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Absolutely adorable! Off to check out the technique!

Tracy said...

LOVE the watercolor!!!! The whale is so much fun and that technique with the baby wipe is great. Awesome card! Hugs!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Love this!

Kim Heggins said...

Really sweet card...love that cutie pie whale.

Marlena M. said...

This is fantastic Jinny! I love it~

Happy Dance said...

This is such a sweet card. Your watercoloring is just fantastic and I'll be checking out Kristina's blog for that technique in just a few minutes. Beautiful stitching, too. Whaley sweet card! Bev

Diane Jaquay said...

Everything about this card ROCKS!!! I love the watercolor, and I did see Kristina's video but haven't tried it yet, now I must! Love the banners/flags, the stitching, the sparkly orange hearts, the twine, and that cute whale and sentiment (gee, have I forgotten anything lol?!) I don't know, can you tell how much I love this card?!

Nance E Salkeld said...

Awesome card! Love everything! Sooooo creative and pretty!

Leslie said...

Fabulous!! LOVE the colors and the watercolor background!!

Lori said...

Love the watercolored background! I'll have to give that a try. I just ordered this set and can't wait to play with it.

Dana & Glen said...

Awesome card Jinny! So many wonderful details and terrific watercoloring.