The Challenge #59

Monday, February 1, 2016

Welcome to the work week, friends!  So happy you stopped by for a visit!  We celebrated my baby turning two-years-old this weekend.  Sniff.  Sniff.  His real birthday isn't until tomorrow, but we were able to relax and have a full-fledged celebration this weekend.  Anyway, I'll have pictures to share soon; but until then, I used today's brand spankin' new sketch, from The Challenge, to inspire his birthday card.  Check it out!
I started this card by watercoloring a piece of watercolor paper in shades of blue and green.  Once that was dry, I applied White ink, with a sponge, through a homemade, circle stencil, to create a bokeh design.  I then anchored it, to a bit of Brilliant Blue cardstock, with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  I adore that Brilliant Blue color!  Unfortunately, other than a few scraps, I only have one more 8-1/2" x 11" piece of it, AND it's been discontinued.  Aaah!  Whatever am I going to do?!  Breathe.  Anyway, before adhering the prepped piece, with foam tape, to the White, cardstock, card face, I stamped its bottom right corner, in Jet Black ink, with the "leaping lions... you're how old?" sentiment.
The "2" was cut from White cardstock with my Cameo; ink distressed; glittered; wrapped with a length of Charcoal twine, tied in a bow; and adhered, in the center of the left half of the card face, with foam tape.
The little lion was black-embossed on a watercolor paper die cut; watercolored; backed with a tangle of black thread; and adhered, in its respective position with foam tape.  A few white, gel pen details and a sprinkling of Crystal Clear sequins complete the look.
I'm linking this one up to Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes, and here's your The Challenge #59 sketch to get you off and running in the right direction.  This was such a tough one for me, but I couldn't get past seeing that popular bokeh technique in action from all those circles.  So, I gave in and let it lead the way.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  You have until Sunday, February 7, 2016, at noon PST, to add your takes to the linky at that same challenge link above.  And don't forget to check out The Challenge #58 Winners, too.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Leaping Lions (Reverse Confetti) Paper: White (Wplus9); Brilliant Blue (SU!); watercolor (Canson Studio) Ink: White (SU!); Jet Black, Tea Dye, Antique Linen, & Pumice Stone (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); watercolors (Kuretake); Crystal Clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh); black embossing powder & Dazzling Diamonds (SU!); Leaping Lions die (Reverse Confetti); Big Shot (Sizzix); Charcoal twine (The Twinery); white Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)

19 comments:

Larissa Heskett said...

SQUEAL!! SO SUPER CUTE!! =) OMG!! Where did 2 Years Go so FAST!!?? I'm sure it was a Very Special and FUN Weekend!! I've been MIA lately, but KNOW that it isn't totally by choice!! My LIFE has been turned upside down and I'm trying to keep things as "NORMAL" as possible, but its HARDER than it sounds to do!! I wanted to WISH you a HAPPY LATE Birthday too and I WISH you a VERY AMAZING Year ahead!! THANKS for inspiring me as usual and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! HUGS!! =)

Lynn said...

Wow! I can't believe that he is two already! Wow! But then again..I can't believe I have an 18 year old in my house. His birthday card is so adorable. Love, love, love!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Jinny! first of all, I want to thank you so much for your wonderful visit to my blog! HUGS!!! And secondly, your baby is TWO already? Time flies, doesn't it? Watch out, he'll be 21 before you know it!!! LOL!!! And your card and take on the sketch is absolutely fabulous! You have such a way with your work, Jinny! I always love visiting your blog for inspiration!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is ADORABLE! LOVING that background, the big '2' and the lion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

What a cute card for you birthday boy! Wow did those two years fly by fast!!

KimCreate said...

Hi, I like how you used the bokeh for the cicle elements and created this adorable boy birthday card. Happy Birthday to your little one! My grandson's 2nd birthday is in March.

Marlena M. said...

Your card is precious, as I'm sure your two year old is. ;) I love the bokeh, Jinny~

Claire Broadwater said...

Happy Birthday to your precious little fellow! What an amazing card for you to save for him to enjoy for many years. I love the Bokeh technique for this sketch! I know how you feel about the paper color being discontinued. This is a favorite of mine, too! XX

Maria said...

Awww...it's hard to believe that your little guy is turning two! Your card with the lion is too CUTE! Love all the circles and the big number two!!

Virginia Lu said...

Perfection! Love this watercolor card so much, Jinny! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

Lesley said...

This is gorgeous, Ginny! I love the little lion and the pretty background you created! xo

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my this is so cute!! How the time has flown!! Happy birthday to your sweet little boy!!

Charlene said...

So adorable!!!!!

Nance said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy, Jinny! A fun birthday card you created for him too! Love your background and that cute little lion! Have a fabulous week!

Leslie said...

Such a sweet card!!! LOVE the sentiment!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Your bokeh effect is just perfect! I love how that cute lion just pops against the background!

Broni said...

This is SO cute, Jinny! I love how you used the ginormous 2 as a backdrop for that adorable lion!

Lori said...

What a perfect card for your special little guy's big day! Love the bokeh style background you created.

Notes by Nina said...

Super cute card Jinny, I love your adorable little lion.