The Challenge #61

Monday, February 22, 2016

Welcome to the work week, y'all!  So sorry that it's been a little quiet around here.  I've just been taking care of sick kiddos, attempting not to catch anything for my tired myself, and trying to sneak in some time to enjoy the gorgeous weather we've been having.  There are just too few hours in a day, but I wanted to stop in today to share my take on a scrumptious, inspiration photo from The Challenge.  I'll explain exactly how I was inspired below, but first, let's take a look at what I created.  Enjoy!
I started this card by stamping a strip of watercolor paper, from top to bottom, in Jet Black ink, with the flag, cupcake, cake plate, and "seize the CUPCAKE, celebrate" sentiment.
I then added a little watercolor to the cupcake scene, as well as clear Wink of Stella to the frosting and lemons and Glossy Accents for the cherry, before adhering it to the White, cardstock, card face.  To the right of the sentiment strip, I added a strip of pink, heart, patterned paper and to the left, a clear panel, as well as a wide strip of woodgrain, patterned paper.  I then anchored everything, with the exception of the top edge of the clear strip, with silver-threaded, straight, machine stitches.
The clear strip was stuffed with an assortment of Pink Blush sequins, seed beads, and star and heart confetti, before being sealed shut with silver-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  The hearts look like they're two-tone, but they've just got a clear coat that makes them look slightly gold when the light catches them just right.  Finally, I wrapped the top edge of the card face with a length of wax chord; tied it, in a bow, to the left corner of the shaker strip; and embellished it with a pink ribbon bow, length of silver thread, and lone pearl to complete the look.
Further inspiration for this card came from Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: Shake It Up, and here's this week's The Challenge #61 graphic to get you going in the right direction.  I was inspired to gather all of my kitchen-related stamps.  I then zeroed in on those little, cake plates to narrow it down to the cute, Sweets & Treats stamp set I used.  The bowl of fruit inspired the exact image, and then I pulled in lots of pink from that fabulous fridge and textural throw.  I also couldn't resist a strip of rustic, woodgrain, patterned paper as inspired by the entire photo.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  You have until Sunday, February 29, 2016, at noon PST, to add your takes to the linky at that same challenge link above.  And don't forget to check out The Challenge #60 Winners, too.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be blessed!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Sweets & Treats (Wplus9) Paper: White (Wplus9); watercolor (Canson Studio); clear (unknown); woodgrain (Paper Studio); hearts (Amy Tangerine) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger) Other: silver thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); watercolors (Kuretake); Glossy Accents (Ranger); ribbon, star/heart confetti, & wax chord (Hobby Lobby); Pink Blush sequins (Pretty Pink Posh); Wink of Stella (Zig); pearl (Paper Studio)

21 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Aww! Sorry that the children have been ill ... I hope they get better soon ... Wonderful card for the challenge... Love the woodgrain paper!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Hope the kiddos feel better soon! I loveeeeeeeee this! LOVING that cupcake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annette Allen said...

such a cute card.. i always love how you blend paper patterns.. just perfect
Boo for sick kiddos.. I hope they feeling better soon. :)

Nancy said...

Beautiful card, Jinny! I love the clear strip full of sparkling bits! :o)

Karen B. said...

So many fabulous elements in your fabulous design, I love everything about this!

Team Clark said...

Jinny, I'm serious - your cards totally stand out from all others! You are an amazing card designer and The Challenge is super lucky to have you!!! This is one awesome design, the clear layer is so brilliant!!! :) <3 Hugs, Autumn

Lisa said...

Super cute mix of elements Jinny! I like your slender shaker part of the card. So sorry the littles are sick. Hope everyone gets well soon!

Leslie said...

Oh my!!! This is just beautiful and amazing!! LOVE the cupcake and that wood grain look. All your details, as always are amazing!! Hope your kids feel better soon. I had one my son home last week due to illness!!

Lori said...

How fun! Love the little shaker strip.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Love this gorgeous creation!!!!

Lin said...

Hi Jinny! I REALLY like the way you made your shaker - what a fun design! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Miriam Prantner said...

Such a great mix of papers. Loving the bow and the stitching, perfect girly card!

alexandra s.m. said...

Fabulous card Jinny!
Love the texture and colors!

Charlene said...

This is sooooo cute!!!!

Claire Broadwater said...

Jinny, this is just fabulous! I love every detail. The stitching adds so much to your card. The mix of patterns is perfect! Hope everyone is much better at your house! XXX

Rachel Bergfeld said...

That shaker strip is such a clever idea! This is just beautiful!

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Beautiful card, and such a clever design for the shaker bit.
I love it! xx

Notes by Nina said...

Adorable card, I love the papers and colours.

Broni said...

This is beautiful, Jinny! Fresh and clean juxtaposed with the distressed woodgrain works so well!!

Nance said...

Wow, Jinny! This is gorgeous! Love the patterns and colors and what a fab idea of a sequin "shaker" strip! I may have to borrow that idea!

Tracy said...

All that fun stitching and a great confetti window too. Soooo cute!