The Challenge #69

Monday, April 18, 2016

Happy Monday morning to you all!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  Ours seemed to fly by with activity after activity, and I'm feeling uber exhausted this morning; but we had such fun and got to spend oodles of time with sweet, new friends.  We even got lots of gardening done.  So, it was all worth it.  Anyway, I have a little something different to share today.  I've been wanting to create a prayer journal, for my family's use, for quite some time now and knew Reverse Confetti's Walk by Faith stamp set was just what I was looking for to get me moving in the right direction.  So, I scooped it up awhile back.  Fast forward to this month's Sketch for You to Try, as well as a rainbow of inspiration from The Challenge, and I had just the nudge I needed to get it done.
I started this project by covering the front cover of a composition notebook with a couple of different prints and anchoring them both with black-threaded, straight, machine stitching.  I then traced around the outside edges of a variety of sizes of circle dies onto a piece of watercolor paper and watercolored those circles in an array of rainbow colors before die-cutting them out.  The largest three were then stamped, in Jet Black ink, with the "FOR THIS I pray", "GIVE THANKS AND praise", and "I WILL WALK BY Faith" phrases, before arranging the lot on the front cover of the notebook and splattering everything with the same colors the circles were watercolored in, as well as Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints.
The butterfly was black-embossed on vellum, hand-cut out, and adhered flush against the surface of the notebook.  I know that is unusual for me.  I like dimension, but I'm hoping this project will get shuffled around for quite some time and want it to hold together beautifully for the long haul.
A little Charcoal twine, tied, in a bow, near the top edge, completes the look.
And I'm happy to say that, young and old alike, everyone is excited about this endeavor of recording our prayers and even, Lord willing, some answers to those prayers.
Further inspiration for this project came from, like I said above, Reverse Confetti's Sketch for You to Try #35...
and Simon Says Stamps' Wednesday Challenge: Lets Do the Polka.
And here's this week's The Challenge #69 to get you off and creating in the right direction.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  You have until Sunday, April 24, 2016, at noon PST, to add your takes to the linky at that same challenge link above.  And don't forget to check out The Challenge #68 Winners, too.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great week, y'all!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Walk by Faith (Reverse Confetti); Flora & Fauna I (Wplus9) Paper: black polka dot & sketched aqua (Jenni Bowlin); watercolor (Canson Studio); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); watercolors (Kuretake); Clear Cut Stackers: Circles die (Wplus9); Big Shot (Sizzix); black embossing powder (SU!); Charcoal twine (The Twinery); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt)

25 comments:

Karen B. said...

A beautiful item for your family!

Team Clark said...

Such a beautiful project, Jinny! Love your new journal and I bet it was fun breaking away from cards for a day. Mixing things up helps keep us excited! Thanks for sharing and love the sentiments! <3

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is sooooooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the circles and the splatters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy said...

What a good idea to make your family's Prayer Journal extra special by decorating the government this way! Wishing blessings to you all!

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful project Jinny, one that your family will cherish for sure. So many cool techniques!

Marlena M. said...

This is absolutely amazing Jinny~jaw dropping even! It made me teary a bit too...what a great way to store "memorial stones" from the Lord.

Sheri Gilson said...

Beautiful project, Jinny!

Anita said...

This is so pretty! Love the bright colors with the black!

Lesley said...

Beautiful!

Lisa said...

I LOVE the way you've decorated the front of your composition book!! The polka dots, circle sentiments and tiny splatters all add up to FABulous!! This is something wonderful for your family to do together. I think your kids will enjoy this so much!!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is SO fabulous and colorful, Jinny, both as a project inspired by The Challenge graphic AND the Reverse Confetti sketch!! Thanks for playing along with us at Reverse Confetti ;)

Maria said...

A wonderful decorated prayer journal, Jinny! Love all the circles and sentiments! I have a prayer journal, but very plain. You've now inspired me to decorate it up a bit...thank you! Take care and have a great week!:-)

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Jinny! It's so colourful and cheerful & your stitching looks fabulous.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx

Miriam Prantner said...

So fun and funky! Love those sentiments and all the great splatter, just such a bold and trendy piece!

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous little book....your cover is just amazing!

Ros Crawford said...

What a lovely project Jinny ... The book cover is gorgeous and so beautifully put together...

Marybeth said...

Beautiful book cover and love all the sentiments! The splatters look great! God Bless!

Kara Lynne said...

What a wonderful treasure! That is such a great idea and the family can all use this together. I love the colors and splatter. The sentiments are perfect and so is that design!

Broni said...

What a beautiful and happy cover for your prayer journal!! I love it! The ink splatters are super fun!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

So colorful and artsy Jinny! Love the bright colors and the stitching.

Tracy said...

Ughh! I am buried in business and WAY behind in visiting my bloggie friends. So sorry. You have been posting some amazing cards and this cover for your prayer book is just delightful. The colorful circles really bring it to life. Hugs my dear friend!

Lori said...

What a lovely keepsake you have created! Just beautiful!

~amy~ said...

Such a beautiful project Jinny!
Thanks for joining us for the April SFYTT!

Jeanne J. said...

Great project and very inspirational. I have some prayers my kids wrote when they were little... yes.. God willing some answers for you. I think you were so brave for doing the paint splatter. I would have chickened out, but this looks amazing! You inspire me to take chances!

Nance said...

Wow, fabulous journal creation, Jinny! This is awesome and inspiring me to make my own prayer journal. Amazing!