The Challenge #70

Monday, April 25, 2016

Welcome to the work week, y'all!  Just popping back in with my take on a masculine inspiration photo from The Challenge.  I'm not sure that I'm in love with this number, but it's off in the mail, to my brother, already.  There's no rest for the weary.
I started this card by anchoring a number of black and white prints, to the white, cardstock, card face, with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  I then wrapped a length of white string, horizontally, near the base of the card and tied it, in a bow, near its left edge.
The airplane image was silver-embossed on watercolor paper; watercolored in shades of gray watercolor and Pumice Stone Distress Ink; and splattered with more of the same.  I then stamped the simple, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" sentiment, in Jet Black ink, in the top right corner of the the scene, before framing it with Black cardstock and black-threaded, straight, machine stitches and adhering it, with foam tape, in the center of the card face.
A little more splattering with Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints and handful of enamel dots complete the look.
Further inspiration for this card came from Serendipity Stamps Challenge Blog's Challenge #54: Emboss...
and here's this week's The Challenge #70 inspiration photo to get your off and creating in the right direction.
Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  You have until Sunday, May 1, 2016, at noon PST, to add your takes to the linky at that same challenge link above.  And don't forget to check out The Challenge #69 Winners, too.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  XOXO

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: 1261QCL Airplane (Serendipity Stamps); With Love (Reverse Confetti) Paper: White & damask (Paper Studio); black (Wplus9); chevron (Jenni Bowlin); plus (Crate Paper); polka dot (Amy Tangerine); gray stripe (K&Company); watercolor (Canson Studio) Ink: Jet Black & Pumice Stone (Ranger); watermark (VersaMark) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); silver embossing powder (SU!); enamel dots (October Afternoon); watercolors (Kuretake); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); white string (Hobby Lobby)

20 comments:

Karen B. said...

I think it turned out fantastic!5

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh I think this is fabulous! LOVING the plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claire Broadwater said...

Jinny, I think this is amazing! I always love your stitching! I wish you would come and give me sewing lessons! It adds such fabulous detail to your creations! Love the plane, too! XX

Lynn said...

Ahh...this is so fabulous Jinny!

Becca Cruger said...

This is GLORIOUS! I have such a tough time with masculine cards, but this one hits all the right notes. I am so in love with the way you used all those different black & white patterns. Beautiful! Totally signed up to be your newest follower. :)

Marybeth said...

Jinny, I think you used the perfect stamp for the inspration photo! That Serendipity Stamps is Perfect for a masculine card,I'm sure your brother will love it! I know I do!

Annette Allen said...

wow totally love it..

Miriam Prantner said...

I love all the neutrals and the image in the silver, such a great look!

Lisa said...

What a great mix of patters Jinny and I like the cloudy sky! Your brother will love it!!

Maria said...

Oh, my! It's perfect, Jinny...love it! Wonderful mix of patterns and the dimension on the plane is fabulous! Awesome masculine card! Your brother will love it...Happy Birthday to him!

Ros Crawford said...

It's wonderful!! I love the silver embossing and the background is beautiful!

KimCreate said...

What a great take on the black and white photo! I'm gonna have to think on this one and see if I can play along.

Team Clark said...

Jinny, you are good at everything! Fab man card!!!

A splash of color said...

Cool to emboss on watercolor paper.. I'll have to try that. This is a great card. Makes you want to soar.

Jeanne J. said...

Oh Jinny you are amazing! This is a huge wow and I sure hope your brother appreciate it! Every time I look I see some new element! The effect is amazing - fab mix of papers, stitching, embossing... love it all!

Patti said...

Outstanding card!! your brother is blessed to have you! I love each detail in your card from the brilliant embossing to the paper selections! A+++++++++

Patti

Nance said...

Jinny, this is stunning! I always love your stitching and love what you did with the image!

Notes by Nina said...

I love all the details and that plane is amazing.

Suchi said...

Oh Gosh!! I went through your blog and your creations are fabulous!!! I am your latest follower! :)
Suchixx

Tracy said...

It's certainly a different look for you but it's a cool one. The embossing looks so cool and gives it a nostalgic feel.