For the Love of Books

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Hey, y'all!  I'm back, as promised in yesterday's PLS Pinterest Inspired: New Neighbor post and just in the nick of time, as if you can believe it, today is the last day of August, to share this month's book pick.  I know that I shared a school-themed story last month, but we found this one, written for children ages four to seven, on a recent trip to our local library and couldn't resist starting the school year out right with another.  It made us laugh so hard!  Sitomer's Daddy reminded us so much of my hubby.  Enjoy!
Daddy's Back-to-School Shopping Adventure, written by Alan Lawrence Sitomer and illustrated by Abby Carter, is a story about its namesake, back-to-school shopping with Dad.  Before heading out the door, Dad is sure to remind his little Pickle Quackers, Jake and Jenny, of "the number-one rule for school-supply shopping... We only buy what's on the list."  Regardless, Jake wants a pogo stick, and Jenny wants a portable popcorn maker; and Dad has to remind them, once again, of their rule.  Reminders aside, shopping progresses as planned; so, Mom steps away to another part of the store.  That's when Dad spots something so nostalgic he can't possibly live without it.  Thus begins the bartering for glow-in-the-dark glue sticks, sparkly purple wet wipes, strawberry-scented pencil boxes, neon paper clips, and even a zebra-striped three-hold punch, which all, now, seem reasonable to Dad; until Mom shows up.  "Gulp," Dad says sadly, "I guess I'll just put [all] this back.  Meet you at the checkout."  While he is away and even though it is, unquestionably, not on the list, Mom and the kids purchase a little surprise for Dad that is sure to bring back his smile.

Thanks so much for stopping by, friends!  Happy reading!  And I apologize for being behind on my blog visiting lately.  Actually, with the start of school and all the activities that includes, not to mention losing power for several hours right during "my" time last week, I'm running behind on all fronts.  I get so much done when I can just find a few uninterrupted hours to myself.  Unfortunately, that nearly never happens until I'm so exhausted, I can barely keep my eyes open.  But I promise that I'll be around soon.  I just need to get through the first of the month.  Thank you so much for your patience!  Hugs!

No comments: