Let the Monkey Business Begin

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Hey, y'all!  I hope you're having a great week.  We've been diligently plugging away at our studies.  Fall baseball has begun, and Ezekiel's band class starts up again next week.  Basketball begins again in just a couple of short months and Awana in half that time.  All the kids have moved up in their Sunday school classes; and I know the weather is still telling us differently, but it is officially fall, folks.  Woohoo!  I truly love this time of year!

Oh, and I'm thrilled to be back to my exercise routine after a foot injury this summer.  My doctors were super unhelpful, promising that, "It's probably not broken."  Ugh!  So, I did my research, asked a lot of questions, and came to the realization that I was experiencing extensor tendonitis.  It took far longer than I wanted for it to heal and even longer for me to come to grips with the fact that my hubby wasn't going to join into our exercise routine again, but I finally began on my own and am feeling super good about it.  Yay!

Anyhow, my nephew celebrated his 10th birthday last week; and today, I wanted to share the card he received in the mail.
I started his card by piecing together a number of coordinating prints to create the background of the sketch below.  The "it's your birthday, LET THE MONKEY BUSINESS BEGIN" sentiment was stamped, in Jet Black ink, on a strip of vellum.  All bits and pieces were then anchored, in one way or another, to a Brocade Blue, cardstock frame, with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.
The monkey, stack of gifts, and bundle of balloons were all stamped, in Jet Black ink, on watercolor paper die cuts; watercolored; detailed with a white gel pen; and popped off the surface of the card face with foam tape.
A mix of silver, star sequins and lots of Clear Wink of Stella, as well as Glossy Accents, completes the look.
Inspiration for this card came from Reverse Confetti's August Sketch for You to Try, which I flipped upside down.
Happy birthday again, Grant!  I've got a summer-weather page, for Pretty Little Studio, coming your way tomorrow.  Until then, thanks so much for humbling me with a visit, friends!  Be blessed!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Monkey Business (Reverse Confetti) Paper: white (Wplus9); all patterned (Citrus Twist); watercolor (Master's Touch); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger); Jet Black (StazOn) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scotch); Clear Wink of Stella (Zig); white gel pen (Sakura); watercolors (Kuretake); Monkey Business Confetti Cuts die (Reverse Confetti); Big Shot (Sizzix); large silver stars (Pretty Pink Posh); little silver stars (Hobby Lobby); Glossy Accents (Ranger)

13 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is sooooooooooo cute! LOVING the colors, the monkey and the sentiment! And glad you are feeling better and started your routine again!!!!!!

KimCreate said...

Super card Jinny! Love the colors and the coloring!

Lisa said...

School started here today, I'll bet the kids weren't ready for that yet with temps still being so hot!! What a cute card for your nephew, so playful!! I like the layers and patterns. Hope the injury heals quickly ;)

Charlene said...

So cute!!!! Your nephew will LOVE it!!! And I'm sorry to hear about your arm but sounds like its going better!!!

Karen B. said...

Most adorable! I always admire the details you add to your cards.

Nancy Thomas said...

A super fun boy card! Love all your details.

Karen B. said...

Most adorable! I always admire the details you add to your cards.

~amy~ said...

Jinny, this is adorable!

Maria said...

Looking at that adorable monkey makes me smile!! Awesome water coloring and design! Fab card, Jinny!! Have a great weekend!:-)

Tracey McNeely said...

Perfect monkeying around card for your nephew's 10th birthday! Love how you coloured it!

Leslie said...

This is so stinkin' cute!! LOVE the sentiment, colors and that image!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Absolutely adorable, and the stitching is wonderful!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Darling card Jinny. Love the sweet monkey... great coloring.