PLS Feature Friday: Summer Adventure Flair

Friday, August 19, 2016

Well, hello there, friends!  I'm up again on the Pretty Little Studio blog, sharing a sunny page of my family's trip to Lake of the Ozarks, in Osage Beach, Missouri, six years ago.  We are featuring flair buttons this Friday.  I usually like to mix collections across the board; but while I've done that with the majority of the products used here, all of the flair buttons you see below came from the Treasure Island: Happy Journey Flair.  They inspired a page of the portion of our vacation spent on the water.
I started this page by smudging Jack Frost and Patina Glimmer Mists, onto a piece of 12x12 textured white cardstock, behind where my photos would lie.  I then splattered the whole page with those same mists, as well as Key Lime Glimmer Mist and Sunshine Mister Huey's.  Once that was dry, I rubbed Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink through a sunburst mask; stamped lots of little clouds and stars in Jet Black ink; and splattered everything with Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints to set my background stage.  I then anchored a variety of color-coordinating prints with black-threaded, straight, machine stitching.  Doesn't that Fish Scale Reef Clear 8x8 Paper work so well here?  Gosh, I adore all of Pretty Little Studio's clear papers!  You should really run check out the beauties in the new Summer Vibes collection.  Can't wait to get my fingers on some of those, but I digress.  Once my photos, which were matted with white cardstock, were positioned, I created the "summer adventure" title from die cuts.  A number of clouds...
white doily; orange tag, laced with white string, tied in a bow; and "HAPPY" flair button, backed with a tangle of black thread, round out the top of the design.
The far left photo was dressed up with another flair button.  I used it to ground the hand-cut, "sail away", phrase strip, as well as a couple of leaves, hand-cut from our Let's Go: Maui print.  The hidden journaling explains that my sweet girl wasn't a fan of wearing her life jacket.  So, the "It's all gonna be all right" phrase sticker seemed to fit perfectly here.
One more flair button, dressed up with a cloud die cut and grounded with a couple of phrase stickers, creates a visual triangle around my main photo grouping...
and a fourth and final, along with a cut-apart phrase label and Crabby Vintage Mini Die Cut, embellishes the top left corner of the photo at the bottom of the page.  A simple Tues. & Wed. labeling is all I needed here, as all the other necessary details have already been captured on previous pages of this trip.  There's no need for redundancy.  Right?
A couple more cloud die cuts, another doily, and a Define. Travel. Ticket, as well as that hidden journaling, tucked away on a Chrysanthemum Shipping Tag, laced with white string, tied in a bow, that I alluded to above, complete the look.
The full snippet of journaling reads, Adina wasn't a fan of the life vest, but she was such a trooper for everything else a great day on the water had in store for us.  Ezekiel was nervous...
on the jet skis with Daddy & demanded to be brought back to ride with Mommy, but he loved tubing all around.  We all made such wonderful memories.
Further inspiration for this page came from Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: Summer Fun...
and The Memory Nest's Make It Monday No. 68, which I flipped upside down.
Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have an adventurous weekend, y'all!  XOXO

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Special Delivery (Avery Elle); Birthday Celebration (Simon Says Stamp) Paper: white (Paper Studio); textured white (Bazzill); Treasure Island: Fish Scale Reef Clear 8x8 & Magic Island 8x8, Woodland: Clouds Clear 8x8 & Big Dipper 8x8, & Let's Go: Siesta Key 8x8 & Maui 8x8 (PLS) Ink: Jet Black & Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink (Ranger); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark): sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); Jack Frost, Patina, & Key Lime Glimmer Mists (Tattered Angels); Sunshine Mister Huey's & sunburst mask (Studio Calico); white string (Hobby Lobby); Treasure Island: Happy Journey Flair, Crabby Mini Vintage Die Cut, & Out to Sea Clouds, Let's Go: Paradise Phrase Strips, Define. Travel. Tickets, & Salt Lake Clear Shipping Tags, Marigold: Lantana Cut-Apart Labels, Summer Watercolor Word Art, & Chrysanthemum Shipping Tags, Here Comes the Sun: Higher Die Cuts & Think Positive Stickers, Here + There Hello Heather: Bonjour Die Cuts, & You & Me: Cambridge 4" Doily Pack (PLS)

11 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

My how the kids have grown since then! Fabulous page and so beautifully done that I can feel the water!

Lynn said...

I love your layout and design Jinny and Adena's serious/worried face makes me smile!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I love love love love this soooooooooooo much! LOVING the photos, the colors, the sunburst design... just LOVE IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlene said...

Beautiful as always! I love the pictures on your LO!

Catherine said...

Your page is so much fun! I love the design in the background. What a wonderful keepsake for your family to enjoy for years to come. Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Cathie ♥

Tracey McNeely said...

Fabulous layout Jinny! You have such amazing scrapbooking style--it inspires me so much. You also show me that it is okay to scrapbook things that happened in the past. I tend to stop myself from getting started again because I think I need to start in the present. Fantastic photos of your beautiful children!

Lisa said...

Fantastic page Jinny!! My goodness, look how little the kiddos are!! Time flies huh ;)

Maria said...

Oh, wow! What a fun layout page, Jinny! Love seeing the faces on Adina and Ezekiel! Looks like you had tons of fun!!

Leslie said...

Such a bright and cheery page and darling photos!! You always amaze me. Thanks for playing along with tMN and allowing us to inspire you. BTW - you won the weekly giveaway!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Such a great layout! Love those rays and the waves!

Lori said...

I just love every single thing about this layout! Love your take on the sketch and the colors just scream summer! Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Memory Nest!