Pretty Little Studio: Scenic Drive

Monday, August 22, 2016

Welcome to the work week, y'all!  I'm up again on the Pretty Little Studio blog, attempting to hasten the fall weather's arrival with a page that oozes autumn scenes, colors, and memories.  The photos were taken on my family's vacation to South Dakota in September of 2011.
I started this page by painting a piece of 12x12 watercolor paper with a golden yellow puddle of goodness; smudging Pumice Stone Distress Ink through a chevron stencil; and stamping little leaves in Old Olive ink and the irregular grid in Jet Black ink.  After layering a happy mix of mostly Woodland prints, I splattered over everything with more of that same delicious, golden yellow watercolor, as well as Gold Color Shine and Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints.  Once everything was dry, I anchored a couple of my papers with gold-threaded, straight, machine stitches and adhered my photos, which were matted with white cardstock, in their respective positions.  A Vacation Clear Word Cut-Out was then tucked into the vertical right side of my patterned papers.
Moving counter-clockwise, the top photo was dressed up with a Fluffy Cloud, topped with a Monarch Die Cut, as well as a Rose Bush Tab, which I used to etch the Sept. 27, 2011, date.
A Salt Lake Clear Shipping Tag, laced with white string, tied in a bow, was tucked under its left side.
The bottom photo was partially framed with a France Frame and topped with a hand-cut, "scenic drive" phrase strip, which serves as my title and was anchored with an "adventure awaits" flair button, backed with a tangle of gold thread.  A couple of gold, metallic chevrons point the way to adventure...
and a Gold Metallic Label Tag, on the opposite side of the photo, provides balance in addition to bringing a little more presence to that darling Felicity Mini Vintage Die Cut.  I cannot possibly say enough how much I adore the sheen of these metallic bits, not to mention the cuteness of these vintage die cuts!  LOVE!
A sprinkling of Baby Avery Yellow Confetti Mix throughout, as well as my journaling, which can be found along the vertical left side of my prints, completes the look.  The journaling reads, I still can't get over how beautiful the Black Hills are!  This was our 1st good view of Mt. Rushmore, while taking the scenic route back to camp, after the Buffalo Roundup.
Thanks so much for stopping by my neck of the woods!  Have a truly, fabulous week, friends!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Off the Grid & Petite Patterns (SU!) Paper: white (Paper Studio); watercolor (Master's Touch); Woodland: Gold Metallic Pebbles 8x8, Tree Bark 8x8, & White Oak 8x8, Marigold: Yarrow 8x8, & Let's Go: Gray Here Vellum 8x8 (PLS) Ink: Old Olive (SU!); Jet Black & Pumice Stone Distress Ink (Ranger); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: gold thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); white string (Hobby Lobby); watercolors (Kuretake); Gold Color Shine (Heidi Swapp); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); chevron stencil (Jenni Bowlin); Gold Mine: Gold Metallic Label Tags, Let's Go: Paradise Phrase Strips, France Frames, Vacation Clear Word Cut-Out, & Salt Lake Clear Shipping Tags, Marigold: Fluffy Clouds, Woodland: Monarch Die Cuts, Fawn Flair Buttons, & Rose Bush Tabs, Here Comes the Sun: Gold Metallic Number Die Cuts, Baby Claire & Jack: Baby Avery Yellow Confetti Mix, & Felicity Mini Vintage Die Cut (PLS)

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is sooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING the photos and the colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Love this layout Jinny, great photos. My daughter loved the big heads as she called them when we were there a few years ago!

Ros Crawford said...

Beautiful and so arty!

Lisa said...

I like the earthy colors you used with this Jinny. Adding the sunny yellow in was a great idea. The little deer is adorable. This is pretty!!

Team Clark said...

I love how personal your work is. Your love for your family shows through in every layer and jotted memory. So so sweet. This is really amazing, my kind of layering, messy and loose. I just want to hold and inspect every detail. Hugs, Autumn

eyes2theocean said...

Really nice, great job!

Miriam Prantner said...

We're going there next year! I love all the layers and the vertical design!