Ezekiel's Home!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Morning, friends!  I trust you've all had a great start to your weeks and are on the road to ending them even better!  I promised, in my The Studio Frames Challenge post, to give an update on my big kiddo's recent, hospital adventure and his recovery from a burst appendix; and now that he's home, a little weary and uncomfortable mind you, but safe and sound, I thought it would be a good time to share.

Last Thursday, September 8, 2016, he woke up feeling what he termed "constipated."  No biggie.  This happens pretty frequently for him.  He took a little something to help move things along and went about starting his school lessons.  He got through a few of them and said that he was going to go lie down, because he wasn't feeling well.  I like my essential oils; so I brought him some water with a drop of peppermint in it and put a little DiGize in his belly button to help calm his stomach, and he went to sleep.  I went to check on him several times, and he seemed to be in more and more pain.  He also threw up once but promised me that it didn't hurt to touch his stomach, even though he wouldn't let me touch it, which made me lean away from appendicitis.  He was super irritable, which also isn't out of the usual (He's the typical teenager, folks.); so I patiently explained that I was trying to figure out if we needed to take him to the doctor or if he was just trying to get out of taking a couple of tests he had that day ;).

He slept most of the afternoon and seemed to be feeling a little better.  So, I asked him if there was anything I could get for him at the store.  He asked for Sprite and ice cream, which made me think that throwing up must've gotten the ickies out of his system.  So, the littles and I ran to pick up such, along with a few other things.  I encouraged him to see if he could do a little more of his schoolwork, while we were gone.  We were gone less than an hour; but when we got back and saw that he wasn't sitting up doing his studies, I began to wonder if maybe he really was experiencing appendicitis.  At that point, he was also running a temp of 103 and just feeling awful.  So, my hubby took him to Urgent Care.  They ran a few tests to rule out pretty much everything but appendicitis and sent him to the ER, where they confirmed acute perforated appendicitis.  Unfortunately, the closest hospital, to which he was taken, does not perform surgeries on children, which we did not know beforehand.  So, he took a little ambulance ride to Children's Mercy Hospital, in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, to await surgery the next afternoon.
My hubby got him all squared away long after the littles were in bed; so we came up to the hospital, as soon as it allows children visitors (between 9 am and 9 pm), on Friday morning.  At that point, Ezekiel looked green, and everyone was anxious to get his surgery underway.
The surgery itself took more than twice as long as we were told it would, which makes it difficult for a parent to keep their thoughts from going to dark places; and we were watching for those update phones to ring like hawks.  The littles happily ate their snacks and colored.
We were told that the surgical team would notify us when the surgery was complete; and then, we would wait for the call that he was awake to go see him.  For some strange reason, they forgot all about us, until he was already awake and heading back to his room to rest some more.  Thus, the reason for the extended amount of time in which we thought he was still in surgery.
Good grief!  I know appendectomies are second nature to medical personnel, but they aren't to us!  It was the wrong way to start things off for sure.  Fortunately, his nurses, ESPECIALLY over the weekend, more than made up for it all.  They were amazing at explaining what was going on and what medications they were giving him and why and just as sweet as can be.  We've never had a better hospital experience personnel-wise...
and the volunteers were even better at keeping the littles entertained during the day, especially after my hubby went back to work, and I was on my own, with all three, for a good part of the day.  They even got to go to a percussion workshop led by the drummer from the Zac Brown Band.
Ezekiel started out day two...
and day three looking so good.
He was even up and moving around better, showering, and wanting to watch movies or put together the Lego set Grandpa and Grandma brought him (Thanks, guys!).  But every afternoon, round about 2 pm, he would start to get super tired and lethargic; and by 4 pm, he'd be running a temp well over 102 that would last into the early morning hours.  Ugh!
He was on a super slim diet regimen until day four, when they allowed him to begin eating whatever his heart desired, which wasn't much.  It was brutal getting him to order anything at all.  He just didn't feel like eating, and the antibiotics they put him on that day caused him to have some serious diarrhea.  Poor thing!  So, while he was up and enjoying a video game, in the playroom, with the littles, in the morning...
by the afternoon, he was feeling miserable and, once again, running that fever.  The nurses were almost certain he was experiencing an abscess; but blood work, to determine if that were the case, would give the same results whether he had an abscess or was fighting a fever, and he already had the fever.  So, we had to just wait and see.  I came home and cried myself to sleep.  I know all you parents understand that it is unbelievably hard to see your children feeling miserable and unable to do a thing to make it all go away.  The back-and-forth between home and the hospital and taking care of Adina and Kaden and everything else to keep things running at home, even though we had so much support with visits from our church family (Thank you, Brandi, Heath, Chad, Bryan, and Sam!) and meals (Thank you, Ronald McDonald House, Jennifer, Brandi, and Shirley!  You all are absolutely amazing!), not to mention that my parents came to visit late Saturday morning and took the littles home, for a few hours, that afternoon, I had reached my breaking point.  My hubby told me to come up a little later the next morning.  He had work he could do from the hospital and knew I needed some time to just breathe.
As soon as we got there and saw that Ezekiel had been completely detached from his IV stand, I dragged him out to his hospital floor's patio to which he begrudgingly came.  We sat there and watched the littles play for 40 minutes, just soaking in the sunshine and fresh, cool air that promised rain was not far off.  I'll always remember how he smiled and reached out to hold my hand on the way back to his room.  Sniff.  Sniff.
He rested well the remainder of that day; and although the antibiotics were still doing a number on his bowels, they asked if we felt comfortable enough to go home.  Woohoo!  I was all smiles but also a little leery about that bewitching 4 pm hour.  So, we waited until his next round of vitals, which just so happened to be about that same time; and when they boasted no temp, on Tuesday, September 13, 2016, we were on our way home.  Praise the Lord!
What a ride it has been!  And he's not out of the woods yet.  We're still monitoring him closely for any signs of abscess, but we haven't seen that fever return in the slightest and are trusting the Lord for a complication-free recovery.  It was quite the experience for my little ones, too; so I couldn't resist ending with a few more happy pics, which I'll simply let do their own talking.
Thanks so much for checking in on Ezekiel and for all the thoughtful cards, gifts, emails, texts, Facebook messages, and ceaseless prayers, that I know were and are being sent up in his favor, literally all over the world, thanks to modern technology!  I'm forever grateful and humbled and truly in awe at the outpouring of support we have received.  It will never be forgotten.  Be blessed!  XOXO

10 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwwwww poor guy! I hope he is 100% better soon!!! So sorry you all had to go through this :(

KimCreate said...

Wow, glad to see he's on the road to recovery.

Shelly said...

I'm so glad to hear things are looking up for you son! It's never easy seeing someone go through something, especially when it's your own child. Stay strong, Jinny! Thinking of you and your family...Hugs <3

Karen B. said...

Glad to hear he is on the mend. I agree...never easy when our babies are.sick...matter how old they are.

Lynn said...

Goodness Jinny! I haven't been good about checking in on blogs the last couple of weeks. I am so glad that Ezekiel is home and on the mend! So hard on him and all of you. Big hugs my friend and lots of prayers! xoxo

Lisa said...

My goodness, what an ordeal for all of you. I'm happy to hear he is home and I will pray for his continued recovery. Hugs Jinny ;)

Maria said...

Oh, my! So happy things turned out well with Ezekiel! It's a worry when your child goes to the hospital for surgery! And, they truly need Mom/Dad when they are sick and they appreciate it!:-) I'll keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery! Hugs!

Tracy said...

Well that was sure an unexpected drama for you. Happy to hear he seems to be on the track to full recovery. Make sure you take care of yourself too dear friend. Hugs and prayers!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my I'm so sorry for Ezekiel and you! I had my appendectomy over 40 years ago but still remember it! Wonderful to hear he is doing well now though and at least the nurses took good care of him...

Jeanne J. said...

Thank goodness you figured out what was going on with Ezekiel! That is so scary to see your kids hurting and not know what to do. Thank goodness he is ok and on the mend!