PLS Thursday Tip: Happy Birthday

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hey, y'all!  I'm up again on the Pretty Little Studio blog with a tip for the week.  I thought that I'd share that tip through a cute card I made for my nephew, who just celebrated his first birthday last week, using our Rocky Road Vintage Die Cut as the focal.
I started this card by piecing, from top to bottom, strips of our Blue Sky, Wax Flower, and Pink Lemonade prints onto the white, cardstock, card face.  I then masked off the base itself and splattered everything with a little Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints, before securing those prints with black-threaded, straight, machine stitches.  A die-cut, vellum tag softens the center of the design and provides a landing pad for Rocky, who was popped up with foam tape.
Baby Word Stickers were used to create the "happy birthday little boy" title; and I stamped a little "roar!", with Jet Black ink, just for fun, above it.
A scattering of Ocean Blue Confetti and Crystal 4mm Sequins keeps your eye moving throughout the design and adds a little more party atmosphere.  I then wanted to bring a bit more presence to the vellum tag.  So, I had some fun doodling along its bottom, scalloped edge...
and topped it with a length of white seam binding ribbon, tied in a double bow and embellished with a black, chevron, ribbon bow, as well as a wood veneer button, laced with white string, tied in a bow.
This is where my Tip of the Week comes into play.  You may have noticed that I like to use string, Baker's twine, hemp twine, etc. to add texture, dimension, and movement to my paper projects.  To ensure that my layouts stay preserved for generations to come and that my cards arrive in the same condition they appear here on my blog, I use a little liquid glue, not only to adhere their centers in place, but also to tack down their ends.  Those teeny knots I tie, to keep the ends from fraying, make the perfect, hidden, landing spots for the glue.  My glue of choice is Ranger Multi Medium Matte with a ScraPerfect Small No-Clog Writing Cap.  For an even quicker dry, I use a dab of Ranger Glossy Accents with a ScraPerfect Medium No-Clog Writing Cap.

I have to admit that I really struggled with where to go with this tip-giving business.  So, I hope this one helps; and if there's something, on my projects, that catches your eye and makes you wonder, "How did she do that?", I'd love to hear from you.  Leave a comment below, and I'll try to answer those questions directly and/or in future Thursday Tip posts.  Thanks, as always, for stopping by!  Have a blessed day, friends!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Leaping Lions (Reverse Confetti) Paper: white & vellum (Paper Studio); Marigold: Wax Flower 8x8, Woodland: Blue Sky 8x8, & Here Comes the Sun: Pink Lemonade 8x8 (PLS) Ink: Jet Black (StazOn); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: black thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); Gift Card Holder Tag die (Reverse Confetti); Big Shot (Sizzix); white seam binding ribbon (Zipper Stop); black chevron ribbon (Maya Road); wood veneer button (Jenni Bowlin); white string (Hobby Lobby); Treasure Island: Ocean Blue Confetti, Hello Heather Summer Vibes: Crystal 4mm Sequins, Baby Claire & Jack: Baby Word Stickers, & Rocky Road Vintage Die Cut (PLS)

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooooo cute! LOVING that lion!!!!!!!!!!

Ros Crawford said...

Brilliant!! I love how you took that vintage image and made it into a trendy card ... It's wonderful!!

Charlene said...

Absolutely adorable! Makes me smile, so so cute!!

Maria said...

Happy 1st birthday to your nephew! Your card for him is just too CUTE with the lion! Awesome color and pretty bow, too!

Tracy said...

How cute is that die cut! This card gets an A+ for everything. Hugs!

Lisa said...

This is as cute as can be, love that lion!! Your stitching and vellum elements are wonderful. Sweet card!

Miriam Prantner said...

That lion is so cute! Such a fun birthday card!